More threads by Eye Stigmata

I've been having these crazy night terrors for the past few years...
It has gotten so intense I feel like I don't even want to go to sleep anymore.
The terrors are usually about the night I was raped, or about the day I had my abortion...and they are VERY detailed, they are almost exact...to the point where sometimes I wake up and I cant really tell if its real or not.
It scars the life out of me...most of the time I wont be able to fall back asleep afterwards...even if its 3 or 4am...which leads to me being very very over tired and stressed out.
Has anyone gone through this? Does anyone know any methods to relieve these terrors?....

Thanks so much:hissyfit:

Re: Night Terrors...

You are not the only one. I endured sexual molestation from a too close relative

and as a child I had constant nightmares as well as constant fainting(due to

severe stress! Almost 20 years ago I was almost raped by this person and I still

do have recurring nightmares or more disgusting sexy dreams with any man in it!

I have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder which helped me get on disability(only good part).

I am under psychiatric treatment for this anxiety disorder. I also have fre-

quent flashbacks of this terrifying event. Please seek professional help.

I take Zoloft (200) mg and I feel that ongoing therapy and time is healing

wound.

Take care!
Healing,
prayerbear

Re: Night Terrors...

I can relate. One thing that's really helping me is going through the traumas (rape, child sexual abuse, physical abuse and emotional abuse, domestic violence) in therapy. It seems to lessen the grip the traumas have on me and in turn the nightmares and terrors are lessened.

As prayerbear says, medication and therapy can really help.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi everyone - one question that arises from your posts - can someone work through flashbacks and night terrors without medication? Just the therapy? I'm desperately fighting to stay off the meds (currently not taking anything).

:noidea:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I have night terrors too. I take Effexor and Clonasipam for panic attacks. Mine are not necessarely about the trama I experienced though. I have them about various things that I wouldn't really associate with the trama I had happen. They are so vivid, like in tecno-colour though.

I relate to what you said about wondering in the morning if it was real. I hear voices call out to me in my sleep sometimes too, from outside my head. I just ask my mom if she tried talking to me while I was sleeping in the morning, then I know if it was real or not. Since the only one I live with is Mom.

I find myself staying up so late I am exhausted and fall asleep quick. Otherwise I toss and turn thinking about if I might have a night terror before falling to sleep.

I am not sure about not taking medication though. It has been a life saver for me in so many ways.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks Nick Nack - I don't know either about the meds. Guess I'll have to ask my drs about it. I also have the terrors, and the vivid flashbacks. For the time being, they're all about the trauma. I'm kind of hoping they'll go away on their own....

Thanks again,

I can't believe how many people have night terrors, its unbelieveable....

I thought I was alone in this...

I'm trying EMDR within the next few weeks in therapy...I'll let you know if it works for me, maybe it will for some of you?? I don't know enough about it to judge it.....

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I once told a "regular" person I still had nightmares and they said "what are you a little kid?"

I never taked about them to anyone else since, except for my Mom, she still has nightmares too.

I wake up sweating or I talk out in my sleep sometimes. Wake up with having a Panic attack.

Maybe I am kinda use to them now. I have been having them a long time.

I am going to look at the link MonkeyMunch and see what the EMDR is, I am not familliar with that.

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight. :pigsfly:

My joked with my dentist about the gas he gave me. I said if I had this every night, I would actually get a uninterupted sleep! haa haa haa. I told my Psychiatrist and we laughed about it, I jokingly said "Can you prescribe me a tank of laughing gas!" He was laughing. I am sure it has been researched though.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Good luck with the EMDR Monkey Much and please, do let us know how that works for you. I can relate to people being surprised to hear you say you have nightmares Nick Nack - I actually never reveal this part of me unless I have to. My problem is that if I'm particularly stressed out, I will sleep walk. It's scared people when I didn't warn them that I had the potential to do this.

justafool

I have terrible terrors. They are particularly bad right now. I think it may be due to the time of year and certain memories. They seem to make my mood worse the next day as the flashbacks then start. On a brighter note my therapy is working wonders and I have definitely become a stronger person through therapy. I wish everyone a peaceful night too.

justafool:bonk: maybe one of these would come in handy :D

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Your right Jazzey, a sense if humor is great medicine. That was funny what you said JustAFool. I think it could be an idea for me too haa haa haa

Although the lauging gas at the dentist seemed like it might be helpful too haa haa haa.

Jazzey

Account Closed
You also have a fabulous sense of humour NicNak - I've appreciated it many times in your posts.:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.