More threads by Cat Dancer

I have given up expecting my husband to be supportive. He just isn't and that is the way it is. (I sent him a heartfelt message detailing some of my struggles lately and how I've been feeling and he totally ignored it.) I have a few casual friends, but no one I could really turn to in crisis. I think this is really impairing me because I depend way too much on my therapist. I need to find a group, and I've been looking, or someone or something that I can depend on to just help me deal with the issues that come up outside of therapy. Or am I supposed to deal with this stuff on my own? I feel so alone and overwhelmed and it gets hard to use the tools I learn in therapy because of the high anxiety. I just can't think straight. I feel like I need more support, but am not sure how to get it.

What are some possible resources? I know I was at a local clinic once and they had flyers for a sexual assault support group, but I can't remember the number to call. I'm wondering if that would be a good or bad idea.

Banned

Banned
Don't look at the travel time/distance as a burden. Make it into special time for you. Find a park along the way, pack a lunch, stop and have some time for you, especially in the summer when its nice out. I do the same thing for therapy. It's about four hours each way and I sleep, relax, go for lunch, sit under a shady tree if I'm early, etc. It's my time. It's my day. The travel isn't a burden. It's time for me.

GDPR

GDPR
It's about four hours each way

Was that by choice Turtle?Or because there was no place closer?

I couldn't imagine driving that far for therapy.It's about 5 minutes each way for me,and sometimes the drive home afterwards is rough,especially when it's been a tough session.

Do you go alone?

I really envy people that can drive long distances alone.I wish I could. It just makes me too anxious to even drive on the other side of town alone.

I have been thinking about driving to a different town,just to prove to myself that I can do it.Thinking about doing it gives me anxiety though. I automatically think of all the bad things that could happen.

Banned

Banned
Was that by choice Turtle?Or because there was no place closer?

I couldn't imagine driving that far for therapy.It's about 5 minutes each way for me,and sometimes the drive home afterwards is rough,especially when it's been a tough session.

It's by choice, yes. I found someone I liked and that's how far away he happens to be. I wouldn't drive that far either. I hate driving. Nopers. It's a four hour flight so I can totally veg out and sleep, watch TV, play on my iPad, eat airplane food, etc. Its a full day but it forces me to do nothing and I usually hook up with my dad and make him buy me lunch while I'm there too.

GDPR

GDPR
Oh,so you fly there,not drive.That's a little different.

Sounds like you enjoy your therapy days!

I have a similar situation as you. There are no support group near me. I would have to drive two hours to go to a support group; that would be four hour round trip. It is because of where I live. I have look for groups closer within an hour drive that would be two hour round trip. I can not find one.

For myself. I am willing to drive that distance for therapy...I am hesitant to do it for a support group. It is a lot of time for me.

I am fine driving...to visit my family I drive between ten to twelve hours...I have done it by myself and with my children. So for myself it is more about the time frame and how valuable it is to my time and to myself.

I really think that the decision is a personally one. Some people will drive/fly a distance to find what they need while others will decide that it is not worth it either for time/money/anixiety/etc...

When I am unsure of what to do. I will usually do a pro and con list for eah situation. It helps me figure out what my bottom line is, where I want to draw my boundries, what I am willing to accept or not accept.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.