More threads by kelsischanging

lately I have been feeling a lot of anxiety...I have been getting sick to my stomach from worrying and am scared to death of having a panic attack...I used to struggle a lot with panic attacks, but haven't had one since my freshmen year of high school (four years ago)...I don't know what I would do if I had a panic attack b/c I am away at school and would not know who to turn to...I'm on four different meds for my depression but I don't think any of them help w/ anxiety...i'm just scared right now and that just adds to my anxiety...this sounds stupid but I'm not really sure what I'm so anxious about...I mean I have a lot of anxiety about schooll, but I don't think that could produce the amount of anxiety I have been feeling lately...I took a class on meditation and have been trying that but my mind is just racing and my heart is racing too...anyway thanks for reading...I haven't told anyone about my anxiety, but am considering telling my therapist on friday...thanks for your support
Kelsey

Medic2424

From what it seems you are a freshman in college and are away from your family. College is a diffrent enviroment, new experience, new type of life. You are adjusting to all of these things plus the stress of academics, meeting new people and of course missing your family. I would recommend do some breathing exercises and when feeling anxious, try to go for a walk, talk to a friend or someone you trust about what is going on, I am sure this can help you a lot. If this persist, go to your health center and talk to a counselor, college is fantastic, yet stressful experience and its even more stressing with you are trying to adjust yourself to new surroundings.

Ed

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
kelseym said:
I'm on four different meds for my depression but I don't think any of them help w/ anxiety...
The SSRI/SNRI medications do help with anxiety as well, Kelsey. What medications are you currently taking?

I haven't told anyone about my anxiety, but am considering telling my therapist on friday...
That is an excellent idea. Your therapist needs to know. And by the way, all that school stress certainly could be causing these symptoms. But that doesn't mean you are doomed - part of the key is to look at what is causing all that anxiety - often it comes more from unreasonable demands that YOU are placing on YOURSELF, rather than the demands of your courses.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Effexor is an SSRI/SNRI that is usually helpful with anxiety as well as depression. However, some people find that Wellbutrin can increase feelings of nerviusness or "jitteriness". It would probably be a good idea to tell your doctor about the anxiety you're experiencing. It might help to adjust the doses of your medications a bit.

Halo

Kels,

I also agree that you may want to talk to your doctor about the anxiety that you are experiencing. I know for me personally I was on many different depression medications but none of them ever helped enough with my anxiety and it wasn't until I was given a medication specifically for the anxiety that I noticed a huge difference in my level of anxiety and frequency of it spiking.

So again I think that it would probably be a good idea to talk to your doctor and let him/her know what has been going on.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Take care
:hug:

momof5

Hi Kels,

I remember my "brief" time away for college. away from family and friends. Make sure you meet plenty of new people while you are at college, it helps. I'm sure you are missing your family and maybe trying not to since this new road you are on is a start of an independance from your family.

When Iwas away at college we each had a dorm mom, someone who was a sort of mom away from mom. I wish I had taken the time to talk to her more about my insecurities with college. I think I would have done better and stayed more then one sememster.

Let your counselor know about how you are feeling. And if it is too much for you untill your appt, talk to the counselors at the college that they have availble for you.

Doc makes a good point regarding the welbutrin. I was on it for a very very brief amount of time. The whole time I was on it, I felt horrible anxiety and tensenes on it. Once I stoped taking it I felt better.

This is one of the best times of your life. Relax, don't put too much pressure on yourself 'cause all of the students are feeling the same fears that you are in regards to this new step in life. Find someone to talk to that you can realx with. And do the breathing, sometimes it feels like the meditation isn't working, but it does. Just give it time.

What is your major?

Thanks to everyone who replied...I will tell my counselor about my anxiety and maybe I will talk to my doctor about my welbutrin...

momof5: my major is psychology...I want to be a child and adolescent psychologist

momof5

momof5: my major is psychology...I want to be a child and adolescent psychologist
I think that is a wonderful major. And I think you will make an excellent psychologist.

Just keep thinking positive thoughts. ;)

thanks for the encouragement momof5

I talked to my counselor today and told him about the anxiety I have been feeling...like usual he was very helpful and helped me put some things into perspective as well as helping me figure out tips for what to do if I feel overwhelming anxiety coming on...I go to the dr. on monday and am going to ask her about also the possibility of medication making me anxious...well that all I have to report right now...will keep you updated...thanks
Kelsey m

Halo

Kels,

I just wanted to say good job :goodjob: on talking with your counsellor today and getting some tips on helping you with your anxiety as well as still planning to talk to your doctor on Monday. Your doing great!!

Good luck with the report :)

Take care
:hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.