More threads by sidony

sidony

I often feel like I have nothing to say, no response to whatever topic is being discussed. I've been told this is a characteristic of social anxiety. But I still don't have anything to say. I can talk a lot in an online forum because I have time to sit down and think about how I feel and what I think about a particular topic of conversation. "In the moment" in conversation though, I don't have a clue. And it's not like I have something I want to say, but I'm afraid to say it. Nothing even crosses my mind. I end up vaguely agreeing or making some non-specific indicator that I'm listening.

Anyone else feel the same? I imagine this is going to be a nightmare when I start group therapy (something I'm about to try). :(

Sidony

Banned

Banned
Hi Sidony,

I can relate. I have to feel very passionate about something before I'll speak up. I'm good at listening and absorbing, but not so good at speaking about whatever the topic at hand is. I've found it's gotten easier as I've gotten older, but I'm still the "quiet" one in any group.

I can relate too, Im a good listner but sometimes find it hard to put into words my answer, its different on here as you can go away and write a response and review it, I think sometimes its fear of saying the wrong thing, that you may upset the other person or people.

just mary

I'm a lot like that too, I feel stunned most of the time.

Sometimes I'm just more interested in what others have to say, some people have no trouble spouting out a few words when the need arises. Sometimes this impresses me, sometimes it doesn't.

And I worry too much about what others will think, how they'll react when they realize I'm not that bright. I don't want things I say to come back and haunt me at a later day.

And sometimes, I just don't have anything to say. I'm blank or maybe I just don't care.

jm

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.