More threads by crr890

crr890

I've been depressed for a little over 2 years now and i seem to have gotten used to it. By that, i mean that iam neither happy or sad. I seem to have gotten used to the feeling of depression and i guess i've learned to live with it. Lately these things have been troubling me...

I have no emotion. I don't feel joy, worry, sorrow, excitement, happiness, sadness, or pity. I do not seem to care what happens to me.

About 2 years ago, i'd wake up and feel like crap every morning and there was this awkward feeling in my stomach. Now, I do not feel like crap and i do not have that awkward feeling in my stomach, yet i do not feel happy and excited.

Its like my whole mind has become numb.

If anyone has gone through a similar situation or feels this way, please tell me how you deal with this.

Oh, and i quit taking lexapro about a year ago because it didn't help me. So medicine hasn't really done anything.

Enigma

I am in a similar situation, but I too don't know how to deal with it.

Can you talk to anyone about this, perhaps a doctor? Maybe they could prescribe you with something else that works.

Maybe others might be able to help more.

All the best,
- Enigma

ThatLady

Sometimes, I think we set our expectations too high. When one has suffered from depression and all the world has turned grey, the depressed person believes that everyone else is blissful. We tend to think that other people wake up to wonderful days, full of love and laughter, while we bumble around in the darkness of our own sadness.

That's just not how it is. After you've been free of depression for awhile, you begin to realize that other people often feel down, and blue, and worthless, and ineffective. They feel much like you do. Once you can see that, it's easier to reach out for a bit of giddiness here and there, while realizing that life, for the most part, is not going to be blissful. There will be ups and downs.

If we allow ourselves to reach out for happiness, and to make it for ourselves each time we have an opportunity to do so, the feelings of emptiness fade. When you've spent a good deal of your life feeling miserable, happiness takes a little practice. You have to make it happen while not expecting too much of life.

crr890

Enigma said:
I am in a similar situation, but I too don't know how to deal with it.

Can you talk to anyone about this, perhaps a doctor? Maybe they could prescribe you with something else that works.

Maybe others might be able to help more.

All the best,
- Enigma
Yes, i've talked to a therapist about once a week for the past year or so and it doesn't seem to solve my problem. I've taken 3 different kinds of medicine (one was lexapro and i forgot what the other 2 were) and they have helped me to where i don't feel miserable everyday, but they dont help my loss of emotion.

It really sucks too, because i had held a consistent 4.0 before i was depressed and in just a month it plunged to a 3.3. Its been a 3.3 ever since. Its really sucks because I might not get into the college i want to go to because of my depression. I've always had the ambition to make great grades and do well in school, but its just not there anymore. I don't how to get past this barrier.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
crr890, do you have fatigue as well? Sometimes, it is difficult for me to distinguish between my apathy and a general sense of tiredness. For fatigue, I find music, exercise, and green tea to be helpful.

Personally, I didn't mind which college I went to after high school even though I graduated summa cum laude from high school. I was happiest at a community college since I got more attention from professors while taking both regular and honors college courses.

Even when I later went to a larger, more popular 4-year university, the University of Florida, most of the stuff I learned was just from studying and researching on my own. However, I did like UF because most of my high school friends were there.

Of course, in the business world, having a degree from a presigious university can give you a jump start, but I never cared much for that kind of thing.

ThatLady said:
You have to make it happen while not expecting too much of
life.
Similarly, there is the notion that the simple pleasures of life are the most rewarding:

Seek simple pleasures, those that satisfy natural and necessary desires. By nature we need food, drink, clothing, shelter, prudence (reason), and friendship.
--from Epicurean Guidelines

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.