More threads by AngelPrincess

While this is a disgusting habit I have read many, many posts about this problem & would like to also get an opinion & some advice about this problem. I had an issue with the same "habit" when I was 16 for a few months. I believe it started from overuse of hair dyes & an irritated, dry scalp was the outcome. I felt a bump on my scalp one day, which was probably just dry skin, but I picked it & eventually it became a habit that was really, really hard to break. I did eventually stop. But for as long as I can remember I also had a problem with biting my hangnails which caused discolouration & some serious nastiness to the ends of my fingers. I'm just telling you this so you know that this obsessive/compulsive behavior has affected me before in differennt ways. I also have had to start wearing a tooth guard from nighttime teeth grinding which has moderately worn my teeth down.
To get on with the present problem...the scalp picking (looks so gross when I print that) started again when I was about 5 months pregnant. (All the while for as long as I can remember the hangnails biting was always an issue) My fingers are now beautiful but my scalp is a mess. I'm starting to see the effects of it from an increase in broken hairs(flyaways) around my "picking" areas. The combination of seeing the effects of this horrible habit, reading that in can cause a serious infection (just read that on a forum tonite) and just knowing that something of this sort has control of me really pushes me to seek help. It's really embarrassing but I'd like to break this habit AND not replace it with some other form of compulsion. I'd like to know WHY I do this & stop it asap! While the idea of taking medication frightens me (I am a single mom to a 10 month old) I will do whatever it takes to find out what the problem is, the cause and the solution. Someone pls respond asap! Let me know if you need anymore information. Thank you for your time :eek:)

While this is a disgusting habit I have read many, many posts about this problem & would like to also get an opinion & some advice about this problem. I had an issue with the same "habit" when I was 16 for a few months. I believe it started from overuse of hair dyes & an irritated, dry scalp was the outcome. I felt a bump on my scalp one day, which was probably just dry skin, but I picked it & eventually it became a habit that was really, really hard to break. I did eventually stop. But for as long as I can remember I also had a problem with biting my hangnails which caused discolouration & some serious nastiness to the ends of my fingers. I'm just telling you this so you know that this obsessive/compulsive behavior has affected me before in differennt ways. I also have had to start wearing a tooth guard from nighttime teeth grinding which has moderately worn my teeth down.
To get on with the present problem...the scalp picking (looks so gross when I print that) started again when I was about 5 months pregnant. (All the while for as long as I can remember the hangnails biting was always an issue) My fingers are now beautiful but my scalp is a mess. I'm starting to see the effects of it from an increase in broken hairs(flyaways) around my "picking" areas. The combination of seeing the effects of this horrible habit, reading that in can cause a serious infection (just read that on a forum tonite) and just knowing that something of this sort has control of me really pushes me to seek help. It's really embarrassing but I'd like to break this habit AND not replace it with some other form of compulsion. I'd like to know WHY I do this & stop it asap! While the idea of taking medication frightens me (I am a single mom to a 10 month old) I will do whatever it takes to find out what the problem is, the cause and the solution. Someone pls respond asap! Let me know if you need anymore information. Thank you for your time :eek:)

I didn't read the first page of the results the last time someone posted about the same problem. Therapy and meds, huh? It would be nice to solve this problem without bringing it to the attention of others, but the fact that I now am finding almost impossible to not do it in public ( I try to be sneaky about it-even go to the bathroom to pick sometimes)...I don't think I can quit on my own. Especially since it seems that if I do quit then it would be more than likely replaced with some other form or picking or whatever. And I don't want that; I'd like to know what the hell is wrong with me! Anyways, it's okay if no one responds I will just re-read the last topic about this. Selsun blue, cut my nails & make a doctors appointment asap. Unfortunately I live in a small community & there is no derm here or anything of the sort so I guess I will just bring it up with my family doctor?? Any advice would be appreciated if anyone doesn't mind responding yet again to the same topic. As gross as it is... :eek:(

I didn't read the first page of the results the last time someone posted about the same problem. Therapy and meds, huh? It would be nice to solve this problem without bringing it to the attention of others, but the fact that I now am finding almost impossible to not do it in public ( I try to be sneaky about it-even go to the bathroom to pick sometimes)...I don't think I can quit on my own. Especially since it seems that if I do quit then it would be more than likely replaced with some other form or picking or whatever. And I don't want that; I'd like to know what the hell is wrong with me! Anyways, it's okay if no one responds I will just re-read the last topic about this. Selsun blue, cut my nails & make a doctors appointment asap. Unfortunately I live in a small community & there is no derm here or anything of the sort so I guess I will just bring it up with my family doctor?? Any advice would be appreciated if anyone doesn't mind responding yet again to the same topic. As gross as it is... :eek:(

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Got your message, Princess. I don't really have a lot to add to the previous thread: using a "medicated" shampoo to reduce the chances of an allergic scalp reaction makes sense to me and medication could help if you show other symptoms that are consistent with anxiety or obsessive-compulsive traits...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Got your message, Princess. I don't really have a lot to add to the previous thread: using a "medicated" shampoo to reduce the chances of an allergic scalp reaction makes sense to me and medication could help if you show other symptoms that are consistent with anxiety or obsessive-compulsive traits...

Retired

AngelPrincess,

Have you noticed any other bothersome habits, perhaps in childhood, that you might have been afflicted with before you began picking at your scalp at 16?

What was it like in school for you with regards to learning, attention or childhood discipline?

Retired

AngelPrincess,

Have you noticed any other bothersome habits, perhaps in childhood, that you might have been afflicted with before you began picking at your scalp at 16?

What was it like in school for you with regards to learning, attention or childhood discipline?

AngelPrincess,

I can't recall any bothersome habits at a younger age. I was always a very good student until I turned 15 & entered my teenage rebellion years. I was an honour roll student all throughout elementary school & part of high school. I don't understand your question in regards to attention & childhood discipline...pls rephrase your question. Thanks!

AngelPrincess,

I can't recall any bothersome habits at a younger age. I was always a very good student until I turned 15 & entered my teenage rebellion years. I was an honour roll student all throughout elementary school & part of high school. I don't understand your question in regards to attention & childhood discipline...pls rephrase your question. Thanks!

Retired

I don't understand your question in regards to attention & childhood discipline...pls rephrase your question.

I was asking about other habits or behaviours you may have experienced other than scalp picking and biting hangnails.

I am not a physician, but am involved in Tourette Syndrome support, where similar behaviours are sometimes seen.

Your situation may not be related at all, but sometimes what people preceive as bothersome habits are essentially tics. The reason for the query about school behaviour was related to difficulties children with attention deficit disorder migh experience.

Have you discussed these behaviours with your own mental health professional to get a qualified diagnosis?

Retired

I don't understand your question in regards to attention & childhood discipline...pls rephrase your question.

I was asking about other habits or behaviours you may have experienced other than scalp picking and biting hangnails.

I am not a physician, but am involved in Tourette Syndrome support, where similar behaviours are sometimes seen.

Your situation may not be related at all, but sometimes what people preceive as bothersome habits are essentially tics. The reason for the query about school behaviour was related to difficulties children with attention deficit disorder migh experience.

Have you discussed these behaviours with your own mental health professional to get a qualified diagnosis?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.