More threads by dog5000

dog5000

Hi,

I've been diagnosed with severe OCD. I was on Prozac, but now I'm on Zoloft and Klonopin (1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon, and 1 whole pill at night). The problem is, I'm SO tired at work, and all of my obsessions and compulsions are getting in the way of my work. I'm trying to do my job well (I'm and Asst. Registrar for 3 schools), but I check and re-check things in fear that if I don't do it just right to my way of thinking, I'm going to make something bad happen to my co-workers, my Mom and boyfriend. I also have trouble with filing things in the cabinets--I have to keep re-filing something till I get that "just right feeling." My co-workers mostly know what I'm going through, but it's a pain for them and me! Especially for me! I'm so incredibly frustrated and wondered if anybody can suggest any techniques to help me get through the work day.

Thanks!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
One thing you should do is talk to your doctor about the fatigue and whether this medication is helping the OCD -- some people do better on Luvox and, despite beliefs it causes drowsiness, the research indicates it is LESS likely to do this than other medications.

The other thing that might be helpful is to ask for a referral to a psychotherapist specializing in OCD to help you with strategies to manage the urges better.

dog5000

Just an update--I left that job, because of meds, doctor's appointments, and counseling sessions. Things have been better since (although I still am having a tough time with the OCD--see my other posts). I have heard that change can trigger OCD symptoms. In the last year, I graduated from college, left my museum job, and had to find a new job. I just couldn't get used to my last job, because it wasn't in the field that I was hoping to get into. Anyway, I think that change definitely triggered my OCD. When I think about other times when my OCD was bad, it was always when I had something big going on.

I can only speak from experience, but I was on Prozac and I found that after being on it for a year I still notice changes on a day-to-day basis. What happenned with Prozac? Perhaps ask if a 'high dosage' of Prozac would be a good idea. I took 60mg and I became so cavalier that I ended up having to reduce the dosage purely to get some obsessive-ness back! ;-)

dog5000

When I was on the Prozac, I got VERY depressed and had thoughts about killing myself. This was when I stopped scratching myself and started cutting myself. That's why the docotr switched me to Zoloft. I think the Zoloft is working, but I think that I need to be on a higher dose. I still have thoughts of cutting myself, but I haven't cut myself for a long time. Along with the Prozac, I was taking the Klonopin. If I remember correctly, the doctor thought that maybe that may have been a bad combo for me. I think finding the right medicine is half the battle! Thanks for all the suggestions! It's good to know that people do have success with these meds!

dog5000

Here's another side to the whole work thing: I feel like I'm ready to go back to work (it's been nearly three months now), but I'm SO scared that if I go back, my OCD will get really bad again. Even if I find a job, it would be part-time. I have no desire to work full-time at the moment. I obviously still have good days and bad days, and I still have all the symptoms of OCD, but I want to be doing something with my life (and earning a bit of money so I can get my Masters degree one day)! I am going to start volunteering soon, and I am hoping that I will be able to use that as a measure to see how ready I am to have a job. I am just so scared that my OCD will get bad again. I don't want to go back down the same path! Has anybody had a similar experience? How does one cope? Thanks for any input!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think your idea of trying some volunteer activities as a form of rehabilitation is a good one, providing you choose an activity that is somewhat flexible as to the hours, etc. It would probably be a good idea for you to be seeing a counselor/therapist regularly during that time, if feasible.

Yes..I understand this...I think

I take Paxil 75mgCR for OCD and I really like it! I have a lot less Obsessive thoughts now, but holding down jobs is tricky. You mentioned filing & refiling and this is how I relate.

When I worked in the deli at a Walmart, I had the darnest trouble with labels on meats. I would get the wrong ones and then redo them a lot!

People would not be satisfied no matter what I did and customers did not understand I was trying to LEARN my job first, then the customers wanted me to wait on them all at once!

Your case sounds about as bad as mine!

Have you thought about filing for disability? Then you wouldnt have to "check" & "recheck. An attorney would take care of everything first! They only charge when you receive backpayments for all the backpay SSI owes you!

Good luck!

OCD is a real pain-I know!

Yes..I understand this...I think

I take Paxil 75mgCR for OCD and I really like it! I have a lot less Obsessive thoughts now, but holding down jobs is tricky. You mentioned filing & refiling and this is how I relate.

When I worked in the deli at a Walmart, I had the darnest trouble with labels on meats. I would get the wrong ones and then redo them a lot!

People would not be satisfied no matter what I did and customers did not understand I was trying to LEARN my job first, then the customers wanted me to wait on them all at once!

Your case sounds about as bad as mine!

Have you thought about filing for disability? Then you wouldnt have to "check" & "recheck. An attorney would take care of everything first! They only charge when you receive backpayments for all the backpay SSI owes you!

Good luck!

OCD is a real pain-I know!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.