More threads by midnightstar

The psych this morning has diagnosed me with OCD and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with it, how do I cope living with it and how do I tell family members?

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Have you read the threads here regarding OCD? That may be good place to start. You do not need to tell anyone anything until you choose to and feel comfortable talking about your diagnosis.

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Did your doctor give you any suggestions?

I didn't ask the doctor because my brain went "EEP :eek:mg: I'm not going to cooperate with you midnightstar" so I forgot to ask for ways to cope with it :rolleyes:

Retired

my brain went "EEP

OK, so you were surprised by what the doctor told you and suddenly went blank...happens to most of us when we receive unexpected news.

Now that you have had time to digest the information and collect your thoughts, you next move would be to inform yourself about the disorder as RDW has suggested from the information we have here, and at the same time call your doctor for a follow up appointment so you can discuss treatment options.

Do we understand correctly that your doctor simply said ,"You have OCD" and then walked out of the room? Was there no treatment proposed or prescription given?

OK, so you were surprised by what the doctor told you and suddenly went blank...happens to most of us when we receive unexpected news.

Now that you have had time to digest the information and collect your thoughts, you next move would be to inform yourself about the disorder as RDW has suggested from the information we have here, and at the same time call your doctor for a follow up appointment so you can discuss treatment options.

Do we understand correctly that your doctor simply said ,"You have OCD" and then walked out of the room? Was there no treatment proposed or prescription given?

No she said I've got ocd and suggested continuing to see the counsellor, she also said she'd get my doctor to double the dosage of my medication, she wants to see me again in 6 months time to see how the stronger medication is going for me (which I've got to get when I finish the dosage I've got right now)

Retired

she'd get my doctor to double the dosage of my medication, .....which I've got to get when I finish the dosage I've got right now

Usually when the doctor changes the dosage or modifies a prescription, it's intended to take effect immediately or as soon as you have the prescription in your hand. The reason is that the doctor wants to control your symptoms, that the current dosage is not providing.

When you see your own doctor for the prescription, clarify the situation, so that you can begin getting the relief you need.

What is the medication we're talking about?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's Sertraline (sp - hold on I'll get the box so I can spell it) 50mg atm but going up to 100mg

aka Zoloft. FYI, you may well need to increase it beyond 100 mg for OCD and it will likely take several weeks or more before you see significant benefits, so don't get discouraged if you don't see big changes soon. Additionally, medications are most effective in combination with appropriate psychotherapy for OCD.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.