More threads by dip

dip

Hi there

I'm applying for ODSP and since that can take a while to be approved, it's recommended I apply for Ontario Works while waiting since that tends to be approved much faster (although much less $)

Although the problem with both of these, is that the max shelter support they provide is $376 for Ontario Works - and $479 if on ODSP (for a single person which I am).

I live in Ottawa and that's nowhere near enough to pay for monthly rent. Sharing a place (the cheapest idea for rent) with a random stranger off Kijiji/Craigslist isn't an option by the way, since it would be counterproductive to my progression in getting better.. Even then, the average price to share a house/get a room in someone's house seems to be around $600-800!

And then I look at the non-shared places available for rent, which can be anywhere between $950-$1250 per month. There seems to be very few 1 bedroom places in the part of town I'm looking in too...

Most of the ones on the lower end of that price range (950-1250) are in pretty rough areas where safety is a concern (recent shootings, crime) so understandably I want to avoid places like that. Not going to risk my safety and remain constantly paranoid. Plus my parents said they'd be opposed to me renting there anyway.

Again, $376 - $479 per month for shelter obvious isn't going to cut it, especially when a non-shared place is about 950-1250 per month.

So my dad said that for the first 6 months, he'd help by paying a partial amount of the rent, for whatever it costs for a decent place in a good location.

So that extra amount of shelter/rent money per month from him would be between $500-600. (plus my $376 - 479). I do not (& cannot) have a job by the way, so there's no income source there.

Anyway, is this allowed by Ontario Works/ODSP? (For my dad to assist in paying the rent) I'd be shocked if it wasn't. Otherwise I have no idea how they expect you to live on the amount they provide for shelter. Unless they expect me to live in some super cheap bedbug/cockroach filled place - or risk my safety and be constantly paranoid while living in a high crime area just because it's on the cheap end.

Anyway, is this following link relevant to what I'm asking? Treatment of income: Money you receive as a gift or voluntary payment

It says ODSP, but I'd assume that applies to Ontario Works as well... If it's relevant, it seems like within a 12 month period I could receive a maximum of $6,000 in voluntary payments/gifts from others... Of course, 500 x 6 = $3,000, what my dad would be willing to provide for the first 6 months (possibly even less) so that doesn't go over the limit.

Could someone confirm this? Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:25 AM ----------

I noticed both you users were helpful in past threads on the subject of ODSP, so any insight from you would be much appreciated, Thanks :)

making_art

Hi there.... I think you are right about the amounts... I wonder if it makes a difference if your dad pays the rent versus gives you the money. Fir example if your dad rights out the rent check then you give him the x amount required.

Im not 100% sure so hopefully someone who does will he by soon. Rents are just too much!!

Have you talked to someone from works dept or ODSP about the inability to get a place without support from parents

I think they are the ones to talk to abt this if it is income or not really but they may know of low income places for you to rent that is more affordable
I know my daughter has to pay out 730 mth now out of her check so that cuts into the money for her other allowances so what we do is help her with groceries and clothes ect so it is not income to her just our way of helping her when her money runs out.

dip

Thanks for the replies

Hi there.... I think you are right about the amounts... I wonder if it makes a difference if your dad pays the rent versus gives you the money. Fir example if your dad rights out the rent check then you give him the x amount required.

Im not 100% sure so hopefully someone who does will he by soon. Rents are just too much!!

Yeah it would be my dad who's writing the check for rent. (Example: $1,000/month). Then I'd give him my portion($376 - $476). So when you do the math he's really just paying around $600. Technically he wouldn't be giving me anything directly... just paying partially for something on my behalf. If I had to guess, I think they'll count that as equivalent to giving me money, but perhaps not.

Have you talked to someone from works dept or ODSP about the inability to get a place without support from parents

I think they are the ones to talk to abt this if it is income or not really but they may know of low income places for you to rent that is more affordable
I know my daughter has to pay out 730 mth now out of her check so that cuts into the money for her other allowances so what we do is help her with groceries and clothes ect so it is not income to her just our way of helping her when her money runs out.

I have a second meeting with them next week. In my 1st meeting, I'm pretty sure my caseworker said I was approved for Ontario Works since she mentioned I'd receive $305 monthly. Ontario Works payments seem to be split into 2 categories. $305 for "basic needs" and $376 for "max shelter" - making it a total of $681 per month. The shelter amount was never mentioned by my caseworker though, perhaps because I don't actually have my own place yet. I only mentioned that I'm in the middle of looking for one. Also, I'm not sure they could help me find a place, since I know for a fact I've looked everywhere I possibly could. Unless I move significantly further away than I'd like to, which would honestly just create inconvenience that wouldn't be worth the savings. The radius I have mapped out for places is reasonably big anyway, so it's not like I'm being super picky and limiting myself to one small neighborhood or anything.

amazingmouse

Account Closed
I don't know much about ODSP, but I think a parent can support their child with a small amount per month without accounting for it as taxable income to the child?

making_art

I know a number of years back, when I lived in ON there was a good some of money put into housing. My family member was lucky to get one of these new apartments that was subsidized by the government. There were apts in regular apt buildings that were set aside for people with disabilities and the landlords were compensated and the renter was given a a subsidy to make up for the percentage outside of their rental allowance.

It would be wise to get on a wait list for this program however it works. Ask a social worker to help you because they can speed things up versus doing it on your own. They can provide referral and needed paperwork.

Also, I don't think ODSP goes to my family member's apt and says, "That will be $1.25 for the banana's your family gave you." or " That is $25 for the food from the food bank so we will add that to your list of gifts."

dip

Thanks for the suggestion about the subsidized renting, I'll look into that.. Hopefully the wait isn't too long because I kind of need a place as soon as possible and the landlord of a place I just visited is waiting to hear back from me..

Also - I had to sell a variety of belongings on eBay over the past few weeks which totaled around $180 - maybe much more depending on if some other stuff sells or not. But the rest is currently transferring to my bank account. I needed the money to pay off some of my credit card balance...

Will they treat that $180 added to my account as "income", thus affecting the OW payment? I ask because in my first meeting, the case-worker was questioning various things on my bank statement like "why did you have $300 deposited here?" (explained it was from Christmas gifts over the holidays).

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

making_art

There was also a fund called Start-up which meant new furniture, dishes etc for someone moving into a new place and needing these items. Once again a social worker will be your best support person to let you know about these kinds of programs and to do the paperwork for them. Social workers have keys to doors we can't open....Good luck!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.