More threads by g-scared

g-scared

this is a request for informations on olfactory hallucinations. my b/f has been experiencing this a lot lately. first he smelled gas, then coolants, and last of all when i took him to the train station he said he smelled poop, and then again coolant.

it's all very strange, but i'm conscerned because my therapist said that there might be something wrong with the olfactory lobe of his brain, and he might actually be smelling something.

i would like to bring this to the attention of his family and doctors as soon as possible, in case it gets much worse if left untreated.

thanks,
gabriela

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I would agree that whatever the cause of these hallucinations you should try to get your boyfriend to see a doctor as soon as possible. I am assuming that you therapist hasn't actually seen your boyfriend and is simply offering another alternative to schizophrenia or another psychotic illness to account for the symptoms you describe. Either way, he should be evaluated as soon as possible for either a psychological or a physical basis for the symptoms.

g-scared

I didn't realize you were on before, or I would have continued the conversation while you were still around.

Yes. I think we all agree that he needs treatment badly. Do you think an MRI would be good him? He's actually interested in the procedure that's why I ask. Maybe not for the right reasons, (he thinks he has a micro-chip in his brain), but it couldn't hurt.

I told him he had to leave by the way. So, he's gone now, on his way to his dad's house, on the other side of the country. It's a relief, but I'm sad. I am just now learning how to think about myself again. It's going to take a little while.

I worry about him a lot. :cry:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Probably an MRI wouldn't hurt to rule out a neurological cause but, from what I remember about your descriptions of him and his symptoms previously, realistically the odds are he meets the criteria for schizophrenia or another psychotic disorder.

g-scared

You're probably right. I have to admit that it has not been easy believing that he might have schizophrenia, although the psychosis is obvious.

It's good to hear this from you. I think I'm probably in denial most of the time.

I guess we'll see how he does. He is no longer in my hands, and I am rather glad because he is going to receive a lot more structure at home. We are all very tired of dealing with this, and are trying our best not to enable him.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's very obvious that you care for him a great deal, g-scared, but it's also easy to understand how having someone else share the responsibility for his care and treatment must be a huge relief. Perhaps he may be more responsive to family members than to his girlfriend when it comes to accepting medical advice. If not, at least there are more of them than of you to make the attempt.

g-scared

Yes, I think this is all accurate. His father is a very intelligent man, as are his brothers and they will all be good at convincing him and seeing that he follow treatment. There are also more of them. That is for sure. It has been so overwhelming for me to take care of him, being a newly grad and working full-time.

I was very apprehensive about having him stay with me in the first place, but then he just showed up, and really surprised me. It is true that the first time he was with his family he did not improve much, but maybe the second time around we will all be less tolerant of behavior that is absolutely no good for any one.

His family, is a little nervous about him coming back, but I think this is a healthy reaction.

g-scared

My only consolation is that I have helped him detox while he's been here, and many of my friends think that he has improved significantly.

At the same time he has drained the life out of me. So, it is very nice to take a break, and have someone else take over for a little while.

g-scared

Thanks for the advise and reality checks.
I'm consumed by worry, and uncertainty, but maybe things will get better for the both of us soon.

ThatLady

Good luck, Gabrielle. I can only imagine how hard this must be for you; especially, after all you've done for him. However, I agree with you that this is the right decision for everyone concerned. He'll be much better off with his family and they're more prepared to deal with him than you are, at this point. You'll certainly benefit by having some time to spend on yourself and your life.

Hugs, hon!

Peanut

Gabriela, It sounds like you are making some difficult but very good decisions and helping J a lot. I wish you all the luck in the world. You have done a very outstanding job throughout this ordeal. :)

g-scared

Thank you much for the comments. Yes, I feel that very soon I may start talking here about myself because the truth is that I have suffered a great deal living with a psychotic friend/partner/b/f?? It's difficult to define exactly what our relationship is because I do not feel that he is really capable of having a romantic relationship with anybody in the state he is in.

I thought i would share this link. It's a very short, but good article on the benefits of MRI's and early detection of schizophrenia or other abnormalities.

Brain Scans May Prove Early Detectors of Schizophrenia

Take care

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.