More threads by Kanadiana

Kanadiana

Ah, so you're a single parent.

As a single parent with dependant(s) even on basic regular social assistance, you automatically get "enhanced medical coverage", which means you automatically get prescription coverages for you and your kids as long as the prescriptions are coverable in their list. You get other things covered as well, plus dental (to an amount) ... you'd have to ask the FAW (Financial Aid Worker) handling your file/case.

Tell the worker when you go in tomorrow (you have an appointment? Right? They're unlikely to take walkins, and usually you have to go to an orientation Session even before they will book an appointment for you to apply for assistance. Dems da rulz) that you want to apply for assistance now and that you also want to be applying for disability and that you need the forms ...

THANK GOD. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

OK, I was going to go fill out an application there -before I go to my group this afternoon. I called down there yesterday and the receptionist said that I needed to come in and fill something out before I could see anyone or make an appointment.

I'll post later today to let you know how it went.

Kanadiana

healthbound said:
THANK GOD. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

OK, I was going to go fill out an application there -before I go to my group this afternoon. I called down there yesterday and the receptionist said that I needed to come in and fill something out before I could see anyone or make an appointment.

I'll post later today to let you know how it went.

I was a single-parent on regular assistance then a single-parent on disabilitym and then later a single person with on disability ;) Which is how I know a little about this stuff.

Good luck.

Ahhh...That makes sense then. I was wondering if maybe you used work there or something. Your info has been very helpful.

I went in and filled out a form (basically just my name, signature and SIN) and waited for a case worker to see me, but I had to leave for my anxiety management group before my turn came up.

They told me that I couldn't set an appointment and that I should come back tomorrow. So that's what I'll do.

Not a huge update - more tomorrow :)

Kanadiana

healthbound said:
Ahhh...That makes sense then. I was wondering if maybe you used work there or something. Your info has been very helpful.

I went in and filled out a form (basically just my name, signature and SIN) and waited for a case worker to see me, but I had to leave for my anxiety management group before my turn came up.

They told me that I couldn't set an appointment and that I should come back tomorrow. So that's what I'll do.

Not a huge update - more tomorrow :)

It doesn't sound like you're in a big city like Vancouver if you can just 'walk/drop in" ... also sounds like you aren't in dire straits as yet or you wouldn't have left LOL

From my experience with BC assistance it's been, "ya gotta go in to the office to get a "date/time" to go to an ORIENTATION MEETING ..... BEFORE you are even eligible to be booked an appointment with a worker to APPLY for assistance. Ya do the orientation, worker confirms that you attended, gives you a time/date to attend an "application with a real time appointment with a financial aid worker (aka FAW)".

The Orientation meeting is about watching a video and listening to someone tell how to prepare/what to bring to the application appointment The rule is generally that NO-ONE GETS AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN FAW UNTIL THEY HAVE ATTENDED (recorded) AN ORIENTATION SESSION ... once the FAW confirms that you attended (orientation folks report who did/didn't attend, and if you didn't, that generally means ya don't get to see the FAW ... at least not UNTIL you attended that orienbtation session) AFTER WHICH you are THEN eligible for an appoint,ment to apply LOL ... they then book an appointment where they'll meet with you and talk about your pplication for assistance and establish your financial status and needs. And go from there ;)

Things used to go so much quicker and easier ... but there are many who have abused the system and therefore the steps and rules, requirements, are that much more complicated in order to try and nip that in the pplying process ;). Often verification Officers will have to "verify income" etc by checking and cross checking before continueing the application/eliogibility but thats no problem when all is on the up and up. It's nothing personal ...

You must be in a small community oif you can just :"drop in" ???

Hey Kanadiana,

It doesn't sound like you're in a big city like Vancouver

lol - actually, I am in a big city just like Vancouver. The wait lists are long, but she said that's the only way they do it. Maybe too many missed appointments and so now you must be there and waiting? Don't know, but I'll be back again tomorrow morning.

... also sounds like you aren't in dire straits as yet or you wouldn't have left LOL

Lol...guess it depends on what you mean by dire straits. I've still got some food in the cupboard (just got to be a bit creative) and I have enough medication to last me another 5 days. Plus, I need my anxiety group just as much as food and rent :)

From my experience with BC assistance it's been, "ya gotta go in to the office to get a "date/time" to go to an ORIENTATION MEETING ..... BEFORE you are even eligible to be booked an appointment with a worker to APPLY for assistance.

Hmmmm...I'm wondering if maybe their policy has changed? I was told that I would begin the application process during the appointment that I was waiting for? Regardless, I'll do whatever they tell me to do. And who knows, maybe now they're doing an orientation before the orientation before applying for the application for another orientation which will process the applicable applicants. But then there's still the investigation and approval process!

In any case, I don't mind being cross referenced or investigated or whatever they need to do. I've been through the process already a couple times over the past year - once for the insurance company for my Short Term Medical claim and once for the E.I. medical claim. Due diligence is due diligence and I understand. I'm actually really grateful these resources are available to me. I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do.

Thanks again for all the info.

Were you able to find any more info about the process in Ontario?

Kanadiana

I guess I consider dire straits to be needing food and meds within a few days and having no cash or access to any to cover that. Thats pretty nip and tuck to me LOL i hope you're in a better way.

Guess I've been 2 years out of the loop regards how they're handling orientation sessions and appointments/applications? Sounds different?

Regards "investigation" ... they only tend to do a verification process with a verification officer if they have concerns or questions, or just want to be sure. I won a lump sum of money once, big, and that brought in a verification officer when i reapplied for assistance, to make sure I hadn't squirrelled any away or somesuch LOL. Had to itemize every little thing I bought and what I spent it on, basically to the penny. I'm glad i just happened to have saved every receipt! I paid debts, including a student loan I'd been in default for for about 10 years LOL, bought household stuff, clothes for the kid, bought an old cheap lemon car and a years worth of insurance, got a learners licence, then passed drivers a month later after paying for some driving lessons, and supported us with the rest of it , found a job driving for a year then had to reapply for assistance when my physical health failed after working 7 days a week with 3 days off in one year YIKES Didn't wanna give up the paycheck and independence! :) . They ended up telling me they thought I was absolutely reasonable in what I spent money on and had no issues with any of it. I felt totally humilaited in spite of totally understanding their need to check things out due to the many scams they have to deal with ... icky feeling to be "investigated" though/ Didn't like that at all. Embarrassing.

God, you bring back many memories of when I was dependent on that system ... and to think I have to become dependent again for survival ... well ... it really bites. But I guess a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do ... I've never handled that kind of dependency well.

I'm also grateful for the resourses, and also grateful for their caution.

Again ... I hope things get settled soon for you so you can stop worrying.

take care.

I guess I consider dire straits to be needing food and meds within a few days and having no cash or access to any to cover that. Thats pretty nip and tuck to me LOL i hope you're in a better way.

Lol...guess it depends on what you mean by dire straits. I've still got some food in the cupboard (just got to be a bit creative) and I have enough medication to last me another 5 days. Plus, I need my anxiety group just as much as food and rent :)

Sounds like we're on the same page to me? :)

icky feeling to be "investigated" though/ Didn't like that at all. Embarrassing.

No kidding. That must have been very strange. Like you, I understand there is fraud and so sometimes they need to "investigate", but for those of us who truly need support, it would only be degrading and, as you mentioned, embarrassing. It must have felt good when all they could find was paid "student loan", "clothes for the kid", "got a learners licence" "found a job driving" etc!

I am not happy about having to tap into this resource either. I actually hate it and find it to be humiliating just going down there.

It reminds me that I am not where I want to be yet and I find that very difficult.

And I haven't told anyone that I'm at this point, either.

I'm scared that I'll never be able to work full time and manage my health and my son again. I feel like an idiot because I STILL can't seem to properly manage those BASIC things still. Eat, sleep, exercise...you'd think it'd be easy, right?

This entire process of accepting my depression, ptsd and anxiety has been challenging. I am feeling less ashamed of those parts of me, but I still feel very angry and embarrassed about how they affect me sometimes.

I think you brought up a good point in your last post,

...bring back many memories of when I was dependent on that system ... and to think I have to become dependent again for survival ... well ... it really bites. But I guess a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do ... I've never handled that kind of dependency well.

It is embarrassing and it is difficult. And I agree that it DOES suck. Especially when you've been doing well and then need to go back. That's the toughest, because you know you can do it. Just not all the time. I even find that makes it more difficult for others (friends or family) to accept too. We/they might not understand how we could be functioning so well last year, but this year can't even manage to think properly. Or, for me, I was used to doing a million things a day - I was super mom, super employee, super exerciser, super funny, super everything. And now I'm super tired, super sad, super anxious and super scared about everything. Total paradox and difficult to make sense of sometimes.

But, I like when you said, "a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do". It's true...it is what it is and all we can do is the best we can. That's all a horse can do (thanks to Gwen for teaching me that one).

And I continue to be in therapy 2x per week and see doctors, take all my medications and am really working hard to get to a higher level of functioning as soon as possible.

And it sounds like you are a very resourceful person and are working really hard at being healthy and taking care of yourself. I mean after all, THIS is why those resources exist...to help those of us who sometimes need support with basic living so we can get better.

I'm heading down there again right now...I'll touch base later. Have you found out more about the process out there?

Kanadiana

Hi :)

The self-esteem can certainly suffer when we figure we aren't, or can't, keep up the independence and self-sufficiency, especially when mental health issues are involved, hey? I know this certainly bites me and I have a tough time accepting my own situations and limitations, and dependencies, as is. I find other people's negative value judgements, or even simply lack of awareness and understanding along with too high expectations of me because of it, a hard one to swallow, therefore try to avoid making myself a target of those attitudes. About the best we can do, IMHO, is simply keep our eyes on our attainable goals and keep walking towards them while trying not to let the rest trip us up ;)

The other part is trying not to give into projecting so far into uncertain futures that we become too paralyzed/zapped to keep on trucking. A day, an hour, a minute, at a time sometimes. Currently I have to work hard at accomlishing this ... and am torn between a return to BC (closer/accessible to my kids and other perks/easyness to get rapid reinstatement of disability level, etc) and settling around here because I'm already here and have a Doc and rheumatologist happening ... I'd have to start SO much from scratch to leave Ontario ... 6 of one, half a doz of the other? LOL

Yes ... am finding out the Ontario process ...

I have a couple of weeks to decide "where" and firm up things. Timing is important too ... so ... time crunch coming ;) Whereever I go, I'll have the funds to get there and survive a month while setting up support/etc. THAT is whats most needed or I'd stay trapped ;) Guess I'll be flying soon .... uncertain future, here i come ... AGAIN! (rollseyes)

You have a lot of fears and worries, and practical concerns, I hope you get it all settled within a few days (the money and meds parts) ... you'll do this too ... I mean handle and manage it all ... I sense everything will work out for you ..... because you want it to, and you're taking steps to get there from here. I know how scarey an uncertain future can be, especially when having kids dependent. You can handle and get through it all ;)

Hey Kanadiana,

Thank you for your support. I do feel scared. The great thing is that I've been incorporating a lot of the techniques I've learned in my anxiety management group and therfore have been continuing to move forward instead of get stuck or frozen. This is good, lol!

Turns out you were correct when you mentioned the orientation and waiting period. I was able to see a worker (after 3 hours of waiting) yesterday. She gave me a package that included all the information I need to submit back to them. I can only submit the information (which includes ensuring/recording a detailed job search) before 14 days. After the 14 days I'm allowed to drop the information off and request an appointment. The appointment can be set no earlier than 7 days from the 14 days (equalling a total of 21 days since my initial application) I dropped the information off. And, of course, the info includes documentation that must be filled out by my bank, landlord etc.

So it begins.

I have to say that THE best bit of information I received yesterday was PLAN G. I had completely forgotten about Plan G. I need to tell my doctor to please put me on Plan G so that I can get all of my "psychiatric medications" covered. THANK GOD. I think my fear of a lack of meds was scaring me more than a lack of food and rent!

So, today I am still anxious, but at least I KNOW that I'll still be able to take my medication and that there is an active process in place for support. This has been an incredibly humbling experience.

Sounds like you've got a challenging decision to make, huh. How old is your son/daughter? Good doctors can be difficult to find sometimes. I've considered moving to both the island and to Calgary, but stopped considering as soon as I got to the "what about my doctors" bit.

Sounds like you're a very resourceful, strong and intelligent woman and will no doubt make the best choice for you and your health. And hey...if you decide to stay in Ontario and go through an application process similar to here...you know you'll have someone to vent with!

Good luck and thanks for all the support! :)

Kanadiana

Yeah, the great thing about the techniques is when we can actually do them hey? LOL Practice practice practice. Fall down go boom get up and brush ourselves off and have another go at it? At least that's how "coping" is for me ... some days is easier than others, dependent on a variety of things. A good nights sleep and some sunshine can do wonders for me sometimes ;) Sleep is tough for me ... pain wakes me a lot, sometimes several times a night.

The process for getting processed and accepted for assistance seems much the same old dance then.

Important ... DID you mention that you will ALSO be applying for disability through them and need the forms, as well as needing financial assistance immediately? Let them know that if you haven't. That's my suggestion anyways ;)

During your interview with a worker (when you finally get one) the worker will establish what sorts of assistance you qualify for based on financial and other considerations. Good luck!

I have two grown kids (one 23 next month) and one 31 in August, and 2 grandsons.

I'll let you know which direction I go when I move ... I'll probably decide after talking to a couple of friends out West. Could go either way at this point.

Take care ...

tasha

I found this while searching the internet... thought it said alot about some of the problems people have when appying for ODSP. I don't know what improvements, if any, have taken place since this forum in 2002.

Access to ODSP Campaign - Ontario Disability Support Program - DAWN Ontario: DisAbled Women's Network Ontario

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

For anyone who plans to apply for ODSP, here's a great instructional webinar by CLEONet (Community Legal Education Ontario). It's over an hour long, but it does give some great tips on applying and what medical information you should have. Well worth watching. They have other resources on their site as well.

ODSP Disability Determination and Application | CLEONet Public Legal Education Webinars

Hello Mr Baxter I am at this time one the waiting list awaiting the DAU to make a decision, I was diagnosed with panic disorder, agoraphobia,depression. I am currently on OW My psychiatrists is the one who think i should be on disability so he is the one who filled out my paper work i also did some of it , also OW believes i should be on it as well do people with my mental health programs eligible for ODSP, I was reading on the internet that the DAU deny 50% of the applications they receive. I don't know If i am eligible under the ODSPA , what do you think?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
SydneyDrew, I don't know whether or not you're eligible from what you've posted here. The key is the extent of your disability or impairment of day-to-day functioning and ability to work, rather than diagnosis per se. And if your doctors consider you to be disabled under the ODSP criteria, the second thing is how well your doctors and therapists have documented your specific symptoms and limitations.

I've also heard that 50% figure cited but have no idea how accurate it is. I would say that in my experience the reason the denial rates are as high as they are is because many applications either are from people who really are not disabled (i.e., they could be working despite some limitations) or they don't have the proper documentation to allow approval.

If your disability is real and properly documented, you should have little or no difficulty.

Justaday

It took me about 3-4 months from application to receiving it, but they also gave me 'back pay' from the date of application. This was last April for me. To speed things up, you want to make sure to have all your documentation. I think you have to be accepted on financial grounds first, before they send out the medical, and you will need a doctor, and/or pscyhiatrist to fill out the Medical information. So, they'll also I guess need to transfer your records from BC. You can also start on that, gathering that information up-- if a doctor or psychiatrist is slow on that, a social worker can be handy to have. Sometimes at local Community Health Centres, there are social workers available even on a drop-in basis, that have experience with ODSP applications.

For the Financial Assessment: they're going to want access to your bank records (print-outs of all accounts, maybe going as far back as a year-- banks can do this for free I think?); proof of income of what you were living off of before; reporting on vehicle ownership (you're allowed to own a vehicle, up to a certain value, I think it's something like $15K, so no brand new Mercedes, ;) ). They'll want to know if you hold credit cards and if there's any money owing, to show them a current statement. They'll want to know if you own a home and/or any other assets (e.g. investments, etc.). You are allowed to have I think up to $5000. in the bank. If there is substantially more than that, you'd have to make up a trust-agreement that complies with ODSP regulation. Also they might want to know about any inheritances in the recent past (I had to run around for death certificates and sort through paperwork-- it was hard for me)

You can also apply for Ontario Works/Welfare, while you are waiting for ODSP application to process and there's a special tracking system there for "ODSP-tracked" so you can still hold on to assets that are not allowable for collecting OW.

You'll need to get some IDs too, a SIN card, an OHIP card-- I'm not sure how it goes with out-of-province transfers? You'll need to ask, get connected with those that can help you out.

Housing is really tricky. One organization that might be able to help you is Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), and if you are staying at a shelter or are currently homeless, you fall right into their mandate. I'm in Ottawa, so I'm not totally sure how things work in TO. But CMHA here, has arrangements with local landlords, sometimes even some rent-sharing fund, to lower the cost of rent for the housing, but sometimes there are waits for that. They'll interview you , get a sense of needs and lifestyle and find housing appropriate to that-- even with partiers, they can choose a partying building, vs. a more quiet one-- I thought that was neat. I know about this because I helped another person who was facing homelessness and I was there.

Me, I'm living like a person in the third world. A one bedroom apartment but in a nice area, fairly quiet building--I prefer it to social housing (cause some of the projects here are downright nasty, I can't handle being around active addictions, and the stuff with that is too triggering for me). I split my large living room into two rooms, I brought my brother in (because he was facing homelessness and falling into debt, working a hard labour job at that), plus I had another roommate-- it's a bit crowded, but all of us aren't super-clingly and respect one another's privacy-- miraculously we've made it work. We're all readers, so we're all fairly quite. My brother is a person of choice I prefer to hang out with and so that part is easy. I use the food bank-- there's a deal here to get fresh fruit and veggies at wholesale cost through them, it helps. For protein, I've learnt to embrace sardines (which are good in Omega fats-- healthy, cholesterol-lowering)

It's about lifestyle, cost-benefit and what feels right for a person individually. I've got a pool in the building and some great park space and bike paths and I'm away from the downtown core, because that's my preference. I also have lots of natural light, because I'm facing south. I don't care that the cupboards and stuff are 40 years old, "60s-70s chic", I just post pictures and stuff that I like.

So there's options: I think it's easier to connect with a social worker and/or mental health worker, because it's nice to have that support through the process. Sometimes there are people who can help via the Drop-in shelters as well. Or the Community Health Centres, or the Shelters even. You could also try contacting the Canadian Mental Health Association in your area directly, and see if they can advise on where you need to get support. You can also just go directly to an ODSP office I think, but you'll need an address? I think CMHA has a crisis line even, also even via local crisis line can also direct you to supports. I'm not to sure about current wait times re: ODSP, but maybe you can call and ask, re: your area.

There are things like subsidized housing, here in Ottawa the waitlist is like 6 years or something-- there is an affordable housing shortage, but there are some paths through it. Or you may want to consider housing away from downtown, if it's cheaper. There are cheaper areas where I live, but I prefer my current situation, I have good neighbours (yeah okay, there was a shooting in the building a couple of years ago, which was stressful, it was in our lobby, some crime leaked in, but mostly there are students and elderly and people on ODSP, WSIB, and Multicultural, but it's basically mellow. I live across from the project, which is good because it's easy for me to get to the foodbank and use that community centre's resources (and there's some decent staff there).

I had a hard time going through the ODSP process (but I was super messed up at the time, PTSD, dissociation)-- there was an outreach worker who worked through one of the drop-in centres, and she was flexible and I was facing homelessness (I wish I knew I could have saved more money before spending it down to nothing to live on!).

If you happen to be Native, there's also some potential benefits for that, housing allocated for that. Or an immigrant as well.

I'm not allowed to post links yet (I'm new here), but I think there's a site cleo.net, which also might have good info re: ODSP. I think there may also be a forum on that, a blog or something where you can ask questions as well, get some more recipient advice.

My disability was well document through the years, they didn't have any trouble accepting PTSD. My social worker was really good with filling out the forms, having an accurate understanding and sensibility re: the current state of disability and that it's expected to take couple of years to get back on my feet. The nice thing is they won't bother me for a couple of years (I found it stressful, but I'm getting better with it).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.