More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Overthinking 'disrupts golf putt'
BBC News
Jan. 30, 2009

Golfers who think too much about their technique between shots could be seriously affecting their performance, a study has suggested.

St Andrews University and US scientists said they had established that too much analysis made the golfer's game worse.

They said thinking too much about the previous shot can disrupt performance.

In total, 80 golfers were given shots to practice until they got it right. Those who discussed their putting between strokes took twice as long.

The study found that when the mix of skilled and novice golfers tried again, those who had discussed the shot took longer to get the shots right as those people who had spent a couple of minutes engaged in other, unrelated activities.

Psychology Professor Michael Anderson, from St Andrews University, said: "This effect was especially dramatic in skilled golfers who were reduced to the level of performance of novices after just five minutes of describing what they did.

"Novices, by contrast, were largely unaffected, and perhaps even helped a little, by verbally describing their movements.

"It's a fairly common wisdom in sport that thinking too much hurts performance; during a game it can be an obvious distraction.

"However, what we found surprising is that simply describing one's putting skill after it has been executed can be incredibly disruptive to future putting performance."

He said overthinking did not seem to affect novices because "they probably haven't developed enough skills to forget in the first place" and claimed that top professionals would be less susceptible as they were very focused in their approach.

The researchers think the loss of performance was due to an effect called verbal overshadowing, which makes the brain focus more on language centres rather than on brain systems that support the skills in question.

The study, which also involved the University of Michigan, marks the first time researchers have claimed to demonstrate that verbal overshadowing can adversely affect motor skills.

Prof Anderson said the findings may have consequences for people who take part in other sports.

"This observation may have repercussions for athletes who depend on effective mental techniques to prepare for events," he added.

"Moreover, those who teach golf, or any motor skill, might be undoing their own talent in the process."

Journal article:
KE Flegal, MC Anderson. Overthinking skilled motor performance: Or why those who teach can't do (2008) Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 15, 927-932.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Some more general info on verbal overshadowing:

Flegal and Anderson believe the performance loss is related to an effect called verbal overshadowing, where trying to describe a difficult-to-verbalize experience (such as the appearance of a face, or the taste of a wine, and perhaps the performance of a well-learned skill) distracts the brain by putting the focus on language and thus interfering with access to non-verbal aspects of a memory.

Verbal overshadowing has previously been found to affect memories for how things look or taste. Past research found witnesses had a harder time accurately recognizing a face after being asked to describe it from memory. But this new research extends the phenomenon to motor skills, including sports.

Flegal said the overshadowing effect doesn't appear to adversely affect novice golfers who have not yet developed sufficient skills to forget, and it probably wouldn't impact the most expert golfers like Tiger Woods, but would definitely hinder those in the mid-range of ability.

Procedural memory controls motor skills and describing what you have done seems to disrupt procedural memories, she said, advising golfers to avoid talking about and over-analyzing their swing in between putts.This may be especially hard for golf instructors, however, who need to talk about what they do all the time, flipping an old adage on its head: Those who teach, can't do.

Over-thinking and motor skills: When teachers can't do (University of Michigan)

Retired

My enjoyment of the game of golf increased exponentially when I stopped carrying a score card, and played for the shot at hand. I no longer count the score, but concentrate on making the shot. If I miss the shot, I don't care, because it's a new game..the next shot is what I think about.

The quality of my shots have improved and I enjoy myself a whole lot more.

thinking too much about the previous shot can disrupt performance

Exactly!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.