More threads by Rogue_Blue_Monkey

This isn't really for me, it is for my mum. She has panic attacks a lot of the time. It use to be very mild and not happen much but recently it has gotten worse. For example, on our way to the supermarket we had to wait at a set of traffic lights, and before we even had to stop she started becomming light headed, flustered and needed a lot of air. This is not an odd thing. She will rarely go anywhere without another person and can start having the symtoms mentioned above. Waiting in traffic is when it happens most.
She use to be on anti-depressants but i do not know why she is not on them anymore. She argues a lot with my dad and after that she becomes stressed and upset.
My mum does not want to go to the doctors. She wants to know if there is a herbal method that will help her with either of her problems. I do not know how to help her, so i am trying in any way i know. thank you, bai bai

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There isn't really a herbal treatment that's going to help much. Some herbal preparations like camomile, etc., have a mild relaxant effect but that's not going to do anything really for panic disorder.

Increasing her intake of Omega-3 essential fatty acids may help a bit, but again I doubt they'll make a significant impact for panic disorder.

On the other hand, medication in combination with psychotherapy, including CBT and desnsitization strategies, should yield significant benefits in time.

Hi Rogue Blue Monkey,

I agree with David Baxter, that herbal supplements have proved to be disappointing. This goes the same for most other nutritional and herbal remedies, and the reason seems to be that single bullet approach to anxiety attacks usually do not target the underlying biochemical abnormality that is responsible for anxiety attacks.

Anxiety attacks are caused by excess adrenaline production. Adrenaline is a hormone that normally prepares us for fight of flight, but in anxiety attacks there are usually no external sources of fear.

Thus excess adrenaline may be produced as a result of an internal hormonal abnormality.

People with anxiety attacks have often been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Although the term may not be recognized by most doctors it is really as a result of insulin resistance. This means that the receptors for insulin fail to push glucose across cell membranes and hence cells, including brain cells, are deprived of biological energy. This energy is required by the brain to manufacture the feel-good neurotransmitters such as serotonin from tryptophan found in food.

The condition can be medically tested with a special Glucose Tolerance Test for Hypoglycemia as described at our web site as:

“Testing for Hypoglycemia and How the Doctor can help” by Dr George Samra.

If found to be positive the non-drug treatment is adopting the hypoglycemic diet. It is explained in

“Beating Anxiety” at our web site.

Please discuss this option with your doctor who could help to get your mum on a hypoglycemic diet if found positive for hypoglycemia.

Hi Rogue Blue Monkey,

I agree with David Baxter, that herbal supplements have proved to be disappointing. This goes the same for most other nutritional and herbal remedies, and the reason seems to be that single bullet approach to anxiety attacks usually do not target the underlying biochemical abnormality that is responsible for anxiety attacks.

Anxiety attacks are caused by excess adrenaline production. Adrenaline is a hormone that normally prepares us for fight of flight, but in anxiety attacks there are usually no external sources of fear.

Thus excess adrenaline may be produced as a result of an internal hormonal abnormality.

People with anxiety attacks have often been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Although the term may not be recognized by most doctors it is really as a result of insulin resistance. This means that the receptors for insulin fail to push glucose across cell membranes and hence cells, including brain cells, are deprived of biological energy. This energy is required by the brain to manufacture the feel-good neurotransmitters such as serotonin from tryptophan found in food.

The condition can be medically tested with a special Glucose Tolerance Test for Hypoglycemia as described at our web site as:

“Testing for Hypoglycemia and How the Doctor can help” by Dr George Samra.

If found to be positive the non-drug treatment is adopting the hypoglycemic diet. It is explained in

“Beating Anxiety” at our web site.

Please discuss this option with your doctor who could help to get your mum on a hypoglycemic diet if found positive for hypoglycemia.

i showed both answers to my mum. she does not think that she has Hypoglycemia, its about sugar levels and hers are fine.

She thinks that she may have agrophobia (i think that is how it is spelt) she also agrees that the herbal medicines do not really help. do you know anything that may help, like any mental exercises or even physical ones. i feel worried about her all the time, but i do not know how to help.

i do not understand CBT, i did look it up. nor do i understand what you mean by desnsitization strategies.

i thank you both for answering my post, and i hope that you can both be happy knowing that you helped someone. ^_^

i showed both answers to my mum. she does not think that she has Hypoglycemia, its about sugar levels and hers are fine.

She thinks that she may have agrophobia (i think that is how it is spelt) she also agrees that the herbal medicines do not really help. do you know anything that may help, like any mental exercises or even physical ones. i feel worried about her all the time, but i do not know how to help.

i do not understand CBT, i did look it up. nor do i understand what you mean by desnsitization strategies.

i thank you both for answering my post, and i hope that you can both be happy knowing that you helped someone. ^_^

tiadesai

Panic Attacks

hello
find out the reason why your mother is going through these panic atrtacks
explain to her not to be so stubborn and then take her to the doctor explaining to her that we are going for our own good
as for natural medications Mindsoothe will be good for her. but again consult with a doctor before taking any medication.
thanks

tiadesai

Panic Attacks

hello
find out the reason why your mother is going through these panic atrtacks
explain to her not to be so stubborn and then take her to the doctor explaining to her that we are going for our own good
as for natural medications Mindsoothe will be good for her. but again consult with a doctor before taking any medication.
thanks

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.