More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

Had a panic attack today. Just suddenly everything in my life became too much to bare and the panic occured quite harshly. Luckily I was at a loved one's (which helped) and had some xanax on hand (which helped) so the panic subsided. But nevertheless here, post-panic, completely drained. Drained of all mental and physical energy, things I need to do, things I want to do, things I have to do, I just can't do it. I'm so very tired and my whole body is racked with pain from the post-panic physiology. Takes all my strength just to type each and every letter here. I just want to know, if it is common for those coming off a panic attack to feel this way and what to do about it? Lay down? Sit and stare at the wall? Heck I can't even watch TV as my mind can't contain it all. My DBT handouts say to either distract or self-soothe, and perhaps this is the time to self-soothe, I guess all in all I am wondering if it is okay to just 'do nothing' at this time regardless of how many things are stacked up on your to-do list.

Thanks

ladylore

Account Closed
It sounds like the crash after an adrenaline rush. Panic is hard on the body as it releases alot of stress hormones.

Have a cup of tea, put your feet up and take great care of yourself. And know that the panic is over. You came through it to the other side.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Had a panic attack today. Just suddenly everything in my life became too much to bare and the panic occured quite harshly. Luckily I was at a loved one's (which helped) and had some xanax on hand (which helped) so the panic subsided. But nevertheless here, post-panic, completely drained. Drained of all mental and physical energy, things I need to do, things I want to do, things I have to do, I just can't do it. I'm so very tired and my whole body is racked with pain from the post-panic physiology. Takes all my strength just to type each and every letter here. I just want to know, if it is common for those coming off a panic attack to feel this way and what to do about it? Lay down? Sit and stare at the wall? Heck I can't even watch TV as my mind can't contain it all. My DBT handouts say to either distract or self-soothe, and perhaps this is the time to self-soothe, I guess all in all I am wondering if it is okay to just 'do nothing' at this time regardless of how many things are stacked up on your to-do list.

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately BM. Panic attacks drain everything out of me. And I typically get neck pains and body pains after such an attack. I know that you have a big to-do list right now. Take care of yourself first. Can you rally some friends or family to help right now? In terms of self-soothe, I like a hot bath with epsom salts to take away the muscle pain (with lavender oils). Is this possible for you right now?

So, to answer your question fully: when I come down from a panic attack, I generally feel every muscle in my body. And, like you, I can't even concentrate on television. The good news is that after a good night's sleep (after one of those wonderful baths), I'm ok to do the next day.

But I also tend to rely on the people in my life...Can you do that right now? Ask the people in your life to lend a hand?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi BlueMac.

I inquired on simular feelings to my Psychiatrist. He explained that, when someone has a panic attack, all the nerves in the body go on overload. When he told me that, it explained well why I would be exhausted.

If my Clonazepam didn't help the panic attack and it goes full course, like yours did. I am exhausted for days.

I am sorry you had this bad panic attack. As Ladylore and Jazzey suggested, some decaf tea helps, or a nice bath. If you have some ebsom salts, it can also help in the bath to soothe your muscle aches.

Keeping yourself cozy warm helps too, if I am too cold, my body gets tense, including those already stressed out muscles. I also on the other hand, try not to be hot where I sweat either. Just a comfy cozy warm temperature is perfect.

I avoid anything with caffeine in it or any type of stimulant as it might make me shakey again.

If anything on your "to do list" can possably wait until you recover, by all means, focus on soothing yourself and feeling better. If there are things that cannot possably wait a few days, take on very little tasks at this time.

Again, I am sorry you had this panic attack and that you are not feeling well now. :support:

fiona

I get the same feeling. I always tell people it feels like I've just run a marathon which if you think about it your heart probably pumps as fast as if you were. Try not to get too overloaded with your to do list. If you can put off some things then I would do it or break them up into smaller steps. I tend to try to do everything in one day and feel guilty if I don't. This can be more detrimental to you in the long run. There's nothing bad with self soothing...sometimes you need it. :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.