More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Philadelphia Inquirer Says Yes to Treatment
Treatment Advocacy Group
March 31, 2009

The Philadelphia Inquirer, one of the 20 largest newspapers in the U.S., gave a ringing endorsement for assisted outpatient treatment and for pending legislation in Pennsylvania and a similar proposal in New Jersey.

?Court-ordered outpatient treatment for the mentally ill is effective for the individual and less expensive for the state,? the paper wrote in an editorial on Monday, March 30, 2009.

Unfortunately, the paper noted, assisted outpatient treatment is rarely used in Pennsylvania.

?That?s because the state?s outdated 1976 mental-health law requires ill people to be a ?clear and present danger? to themselves or others before a judge can order them to get treatment,? the paper noted. ?By the time people with mental illness deteriorate to that point, outpatient services are often not appropriate. They usually end up hospitalized.?

?The state Senate should move ahead with this legislation, the goal of which is more effective patient care, fewer hospitalizations, and fewer incarcerations,? the paper wrote.

You can help spread this message. Readers can comment on the editorial by phone at 215-854-5060 or e-mail editor@phillynews.com.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Initially I was concerned about how the critera would be deturmined, but after reading this, the criteria seems fair to me.

Editorial: Mental Health | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/30/2009

Sponsored by Sen. Stewart Greenleaf (R., Montgomery, Bucks), SB 251 would allow judges to order outpatient mental-health treatment for people involuntarily for up to six months. It would apply only to patients who have been hospitalized at least twice within the previous three years, or have been involved in a serious violent incident within the past four years.

I think it is important that individuals who are mentally ill, get proper treatments. Some folks do not realize their menta state, so a court ordered outpatient service would be good for them.

I just wonder what happens if they do not go to the court ordered treatments? Or become forgetful and do not complete it?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Primarily, these laws (Kendra's Law, etc.) are designed to ensure that psychotic patients who may present a danger to others can be compelled by law to take medications to control command hallucinations, etc. They're not designed to hospitalize people with depression or panic attacks.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.