More threads by stringbean

I have been on upped meds for about two months and have been feeling alot better but just recently been having feelings of sudden anger/panic and really feel going to lose control then the obsessive thoughts come in. i.e. fear going to hurt my child etc etc and as anyone with this awful disorder knows it feels real.
I spoke to my Dr who said that the meds work quicker on the ocd but the depression that can come with it from the constant obsessing can take longer to lift.

Anyway, can anyone advise, have they had this even while on meds ?

Thank you for any replies:confused:

Retired

Re: oh dear, please read and advise if you can

I have been on upped meds for about two months

Would you let us know the names and dosages of the medications you are taking, so we can understand the situation better?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: oh dear, please read and advise if you can

Just as a reminder:

David Baxter said:
Medication alone probably will not achieve the results you desire for OCD. Some coping or management skills, e.g., cognitive skills, are generally needed to augment the medication.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/prescrip...otc-drugs/23830-ssris-forever.html#post173618
Daniel said:

Also:

Having a response to medication is not a complete cure, merely an indication that the treatment has reduced OCD symptoms by some measurable degree. Although there are reports of dramatic improvements from SRIs [SSRIs] alone, on average people with OCD will experience only about a 30% reduction in symptoms.

Maximizing Treatment Outcome in OCD
As you probably know, there are medications in addition to SSRIs (e.g. benzos):
Algorithm for the Integrative Treatment of OCD

You mentioned in a previous post that you were on 20 mg of escitalopram (Cipralex/Lexapro). Are you still on that dose? From what I read, dosing for OCD can go higher if need be, and at least one study used 30mg/day.

stringbean said:
i.e. fear going to hurt my child etc etc
BTW, an excerpt from The OCD Workbook regarding the cognitive error of thought-action fusion and how it can increase anxiety:

Attachments

• thought_action_fusion.jpg
    thought_action_fusion.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 5
so sorry that i havent replied before been struggling so much.
Yes still on 20mg of cipralex but although the thoughts are still there they do not cause me much anxiety but i realize that when i do get one, i then have to think through why i am having it and then get incredibly depressed and irritable. And see saw from feeling ok ish to feeling that i am not going to get through this and out of control. ( sorry hope that makes sense)

I have realized that I am always looking for the answer and believe that relationships are the main trigger for me. I am always stressed about my relationship, do i love him etc and even though logically i dont really care if i do or dont, i know i am in it for long term. but this i find takes up most of my time and although i get so wound up about it it now causes me more depression than anxiety and the more i get depressed the more i feel like i am going to lose control and the harming bits come in - madness i know.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.