More threads by Rocky53

Rocky53

Well,

I had my third session with psychologist.

He pretty much sits there and listens. And then says "so you are saying...and repeats what I said...and that's it! Hell I could look in the mirror and get the same result and not have to pay...

I'm not going back to him

I may try one more person...what do you think?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Different therapists (including psychologists) use different approaches to therapy. If you're finding that your current therapist uses an approach which doesn't feel helpful to you, by all means do a little "comparison shopping".

The relationship between a client and therapist is a critical part of the therapeutic process. If you don't feel comfortable or don't have confidence in the therapist, it will be a lot more difficult for you to achieve your goals.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"so you are saying...and repeats what I said...and that's it! Hell I could look in the mirror and get the same result and not have to pay...

All the therapists I have seen have not been like that. They have used, more than anything, the cognitive behavior approach, e.g. constantly challenging my negative thoughts and assumptions. So I would definitely get a different therapist.

None of my therapists were passive or parrot-like, which seems to be the case with some therapists that confuse client-centered therapy with passivity:

One outstanding technique for the unstructured interview is what Carl Rogers (1951) called reflection: To get more detail or additional insight, especially when you sense uncertainty in the person, rephrase what they have been telling you and put it in the form of a question. If they tell you, for example, that life sucks, a difficult phrase to interpret, come back with "life has been getting you down lately?" A question like his says to them (1) I need more to go on, (2) I care about what you have to say, and (3) I respect you enough not to force you. It takes a lot of practice to get this right -- essentially, it must come from you honestly -- so don't overwork it at first. The most common mistake is to rephrase every other comment, which makes you sound like a parrot with a psychology degree (and may cost you your interviewee's trust).

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/qualmethfour.html

ladylore

Account Closed
I agree with what has been said. Finding a psychologist or psychiatrist is very personal. Some clients do like a supportive approach and others prefer the psychologist to take more of the lead. One of the questions you may want to consider asking any new "help" is what kind of therapy do they do, what does it mean? You don't know until you ask. Good luck :)

ladylore

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.