• Quote of the Day
    "Hope is the thing with feathers, That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all."
    Emily Dickinson, posted by Daniel

Astrocreep

I was talking with a friend, and she asked me what am I going to study when I get out of school. I told her that I wanted to study psychology, then she asked me what I type of psychology I was going to study. I was confused, then asked her what she meant by what type, so she mentioned childrens psychology, research psychology, childrens psychology...

I want to be a consultant "psychologist", what will I have to study?

I know this is silly but, none of the websites i've gone to tell me what I need to know.

Astrocreep

I was talking with a friend, and she asked me what am I going to study when I get out of school. I told her that I wanted to study psychology, then she asked me what I type of psychology I was going to study. I was confused, then asked her what she meant by what type, so she mentioned childrens psychology, research psychology, childrens psychology...

I want to be a consultant "psychologist", what will I have to study?

I know this is silly but, none of the websites i've gone to tell me what I need to know.

David Baxter

Administrator
I'm not sure what you mean by a "consultant" psychologist but I'm assuming you mean someone who see patients/clients (i.e., a clinical psychologist)?

If so, for most areas, this would require a minimum of an honors bachelors degree in psychology followed by a masters degree with a specialty in clinical psychology, including mandatory clinical practicum experiences and internships. Most independent clinicians have a Ph.D., and most Masters level practitioners work under the supervision of a Ph.D. psychologist.

Following the completion of your training, you would have to work for a period of time under the supervision of an experienced licensed (certified) psychologist -- a minimum of one year for Ph.D. level candidates and usually 5 years for Masters level candidates -- after which you can write the provincial or state licensing exams. If you successfully pass those exams plus an oral exam, you are granted a license top practice autonomously.

David Baxter

Administrator
I'm not sure what you mean by a "consultant" psychologist but I'm assuming you mean someone who see patients/clients (i.e., a clinical psychologist)?

If so, for most areas, this would require a minimum of an honors bachelors degree in psychology followed by a masters degree with a specialty in clinical psychology, including mandatory clinical practicum experiences and internships. Most independent clinicians have a Ph.D., and most Masters level practitioners work under the supervision of a Ph.D. psychologist.

Following the completion of your training, you would have to work for a period of time under the supervision of an experienced licensed (certified) psychologist -- a minimum of one year for Ph.D. level candidates and usually 5 years for Masters level candidates -- after which you can write the provincial or state licensing exams. If you successfully pass those exams plus an oral exam, you are granted a license top practice autonomously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom