More threads by Astrocreep

I was talking with a friend, and she asked me what am I going to study when I get out of school. I told her that I wanted to study psychology, then she asked me what I type of psychology I was going to study. I was confused, then asked her what she meant by what type, so she mentioned childrens psychology, research psychology, childrens psychology...

I want to be a consultant "psychologist", what will I have to study?

I know this is silly but, none of the websites i've gone to tell me what I need to know.

I was talking with a friend, and she asked me what am I going to study when I get out of school. I told her that I wanted to study psychology, then she asked me what I type of psychology I was going to study. I was confused, then asked her what she meant by what type, so she mentioned childrens psychology, research psychology, childrens psychology...

I want to be a consultant "psychologist", what will I have to study?

I know this is silly but, none of the websites i've gone to tell me what I need to know.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not sure what you mean by a "consultant" psychologist but I'm assuming you mean someone who see patients/clients (i.e., a clinical psychologist)?

If so, for most areas, this would require a minimum of an honors bachelors degree in psychology followed by a masters degree with a specialty in clinical psychology, including mandatory clinical practicum experiences and internships. Most independent clinicians have a Ph.D., and most Masters level practitioners work under the supervision of a Ph.D. psychologist.

Following the completion of your training, you would have to work for a period of time under the supervision of an experienced licensed (certified) psychologist -- a minimum of one year for Ph.D. level candidates and usually 5 years for Masters level candidates -- after which you can write the provincial or state licensing exams. If you successfully pass those exams plus an oral exam, you are granted a license top practice autonomously.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm not sure what you mean by a "consultant" psychologist but I'm assuming you mean someone who see patients/clients (i.e., a clinical psychologist)?

If so, for most areas, this would require a minimum of an honors bachelors degree in psychology followed by a masters degree with a specialty in clinical psychology, including mandatory clinical practicum experiences and internships. Most independent clinicians have a Ph.D., and most Masters level practitioners work under the supervision of a Ph.D. psychologist.

Following the completion of your training, you would have to work for a period of time under the supervision of an experienced licensed (certified) psychologist -- a minimum of one year for Ph.D. level candidates and usually 5 years for Masters level candidates -- after which you can write the provincial or state licensing exams. If you successfully pass those exams plus an oral exam, you are granted a license top practice autonomously.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.