More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
During this last week, I was triggered by an event in my life. To any bystander, the situation would probably look innocuous, but it didn't have that effect on me. Without going into too many details, I was approached by a man who commented positively on my physical appearance. When I didn't really respond - he came back with another male friend. This was in a public place - and again, to anyone looking at the situation it would probably appear innocuous. In fact, when I told my boss of this situation and what was said his response was: "well you should be grateful you're still getting attention from men"...No, I'll never be grateful for situations such as this one.

Earily, I find that I'm good at spotting predators. I've always found that I was good at knowing when someone was a predator - I'm just not good at protecting myself in these situations. But I know one when I see one.

A few things came to me through this situation. The physical symptoms - I can't stop trembling, I can't sleep, I have a tough time with depth perceptions (I can't walk down a flight of stairs without holding on to the railing).

I luckily had an appointment with my psychologist this week. And we discussed this situation and its effect on me. While some of my symptoms are definitely linked to PTSD, others are tied to my dissociating. I'm really good at "checking out" and do this through a variety of means (so I learned this week:) ):

1) I drink (ok, that wasn't a big surprise for me);

2) I'm a workaholic working in excess of 200 hours a month (7 days a week) - this I never tied to dissociation. But I will acknowledge that as long as I'm working, I don't have to think about anything relating to me;

3) in work situations, I can get really angry - almost rage and be quite biting. This too, according to my psychologist is a means of checking - out. During those periods where I rage, I'm not thinking about me, I'm focusing on my anger and the emotions elicited by the person who's triggered the anger

4) I also learned that I never relax - because that would mean potentially having to think about certain things. Which is why meditation is really hard for me - because I'm afraid of mindfulness - what will it bring on? So instead, I'm constantly fighting myself so that I don't relax.

And finally, I learned that a few years ago, I had a dissociative episode. For a brief period of time (1 day), I didn't know my name, my street address, my phone number. That particular episode has always troubled me because I thought I had some kind of mental breakdown or burn out and was really scared to have another one. I now have an explanation for it and what it was.

Has anyone else experienced a strong dissociative episode? Do you find that your senses on people are really good? Meaning that you can recognize certain traits in people (for me - I recognize them in their eyes, the way that they look at people) ? Has anyone else had trembling and loss of depth perception after a trigger? How long does it last (I'm going on 5 days now with the trembling)?

Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions here - my mind is swimming a little lately. I also attribute this to my PTSD. :)

Last edited:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Has anyone else experienced a strong dissociative episode?

Yes, quite frequently.

Do you find that your senses on people are really good?

While dissassociated, no. I find myself like a curious child.

Meaning that you can recognize certain traits in people (for me - I recognize them in their eyes, the way that they look at people) ?

In an anxious mode, I find myself this way. Some people can just look at me and my skin crawls.

Has anyone else had trembling and loss of depth perception after a trigger? How long does it last (I'm going on 5 days now with the trembling)?

When I am triggered, my episode can last a few days too. To various degrees throughout the day. I will be somber for a while, then burst out crying when the though comes back about what happened.

Hope I understood your questions ok. Sorry you had a triggering experience, that would scare me too.

I don't have depth perception problems but I do have losses of memory for many many things in my life - current, recent, and old events. I feel like I react to many things that apparently are triggers with "leaving" to such a point that it is built into my psychological makeup.

I do feel that I have a good ability to size up people quickly, although I am not sure that I am necessarily right since I have been wrong too and gotten into trouble/victimization because of it.

Anyway, hope this makes sense....

Take care!

TG :friends: :friends:

Jazzey I am sorry you are going through a rough time.
You know Jazzey you can call me anytime even just to hear another persons voice.

Sue

3) in work situations, I can get really angry - almost rage and be quite biting. This too, according to my psychologist is a means of checking - out. During those periods where I rage, I'm not thinking about me, I'm focusing on my anger and the emotions elicited by the person who's triggered the anger

4) I also learned that I never relax - because that would mean potentially having to think about certain things. Which is why meditation is really hard for me - because I'm afraid of mindfulness - what will it bring on? So instead, I'm constantly fighting myself so that I don't relax.

Sorry, I know there are a lot of questions here - my mind is swimming a little lately. I also attribute this to my PTSD. :)

Jazzey,

I don't think you need to apologize for you concerns.
I don't know that much about ptsd but I do know a bit about the effects of stress, which obviously plays a role. When we reach the threshold for stress that fight or flight response kicks in then the adrenal gland kicks into gear. Adrenaline heightens your senses, it can cause fluctuations in depth perception and tremors.

So I think that your experience triggered that response and you are experiencing something like aftershocks. Which may be giving you re-occurring shots of adrenaline with the stress of those unpleasant memories.

I doubt that's anything new to you but it will help put my opinion about meditation into context. Meditation has helped me to learn how to clear my mind of intrusive memories, thoughts and imagery, through the simple act of breathing I can calm that boiling rage or quiet that noisy fear. It's true meditation can help you to be more mindful; of yourself, your thoughts, feelings and memories but it can also help you to clear the clutter.

It can be used to train yourself to be prepared for those intrusive thoughts and memories just as it can help to prevent and or diminish their undesired effect. It can also help you to clear your mind at will to access "the void", the same state in martial arts that you are in when you are neither waiting for nor surprised by an attack. It takes time and practice but in my experience that mindfulness, that awareness can help you access your true potential by being more aware of yourself.

Hi Jazzey sorry this is happening and yes i disconnect from reality for days especially after something or someone triggers the past. I have had trembling episodes and felt nauseated as well just wanting to crawl in bed and staythere. not so much dept preception but weakness total exhaustion to point i can't stand. I don't want to thing about anything other and i hate being alone thats when thoughts become intrusive. Take care Jazzey and i hope you start feeling better soon thanks for sharing what your going through it helps take care mary

Jazzey

Account Closed
I doubt that's anything new to you but it will help put my opinion about meditation into context. Meditation has helped me to learn how to clear my mind of intrusive memories, thoughts and imagery, through the simple act of breathing I can calm that boiling rage or quiet that noisy fear. It's true meditation can help you to be more mindful; of yourself, your thoughts, feelings and memories but it can also help you to clear the clutter.

It can be used to train yourself to be prepared for those intrusive thoughts and memories just as it can help to prevent and or diminish their undesired effect. It can also help you to clear your mind at will to access "the void", the same state in martial arts that you are in when you are neither waiting for nor surprised by an attack. It takes time and practice but in my experience that mindfulness, that awareness can help you access your true potential by being more aware of yourself.

I do want to be able to meditate, or be mindful. But I think I need to feel safer before I can do this. I'm working on feel safer with my psychologist. We're going to go to those issues that make me feel unsafe and tackle them together. And hopefully, in the near future, I'll feel safe enough to relax. :)

I don't have depth perception problems but I do have losses of memory for many many things in my life - current, recent, and old events. I feel like I react to many things that apparently are triggers with "leaving" to such a point that it is built into my psychological makeup.

I do feel that I have a good ability to size up people quickly, although I am not sure that I am necessarily right since I have been wrong too and gotten into trouble/victimization because of it.

Anyway, hope this makes sense....

Take care!

TG :friends: :friends:

Yes, I have memory problems to - only when it comes to my life. The depth perception, I think, may have to do with dissociation with me. Again, I tend to check out a lot and, for the time being at least, I have a lot of problems controlling it. It's especially difficult because there are some aspects of dissociation that I actually like - where I feel safe. It's my safe place.

As for spotting predators- you've expressed the exact same problem I have TG. I'm really good at spotting them. Unfortunately though, I typically talk myself out of feeling this danger ("I'm being judgmental, I'm being critical, give this person a chance, they haven't 'done' anything yet" type of dialogue) - so then I'm victimized...In these situations, it's really easy for myself to "talk myself out" of my sense of imminent danger. And, as I've noticed this week, I dissociate almost immediately - which leaves me particularly vulnerable. I start floating away somewhere, I stop caring about the situation at hand.

I think because of my life experiences, I can sense the danger. But everything I've expressed above still makes me susceptible or vulnerable to that victimization. Working on getting those personal boundaries up so that I actually listen to the inside voice telling me that they're up to no good.

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.