More threads by lallieth

lallieth

In agreement with my therapist, I will begin reducing my SSRI from 20mg to 10mg. Reason being is that my goal for therapy is to learn to deal with the anxiety and the thoughts that provoke it.

At first I was reluctant, but I realize that in order for me to deal with the worries and fears, I need to face them head on.

The thought of feeling any amount of anxiety and more so, the thoughts and worries associated with it, frankly, scares the crap out of me.

But what would be the point of therapy, if I were not to have an absolute goal.

I wonder, what if I have thoughts I can’t deal with, or the worry/fears seem to take on a life of their own… medication keeps me protected.

But medication also acts like a barrier, that doesn’t allow me to deal with problems/fears/worries on a normal human level.

On the positive side, reducing my meds will also allow for a more restful sleep, and hopefully reduce the vividness of my dreams and allow me to sleep through the night without waking up every few hours

As well, I won’t have the weight gain associated with SSRI’s as that is a concern for me. I know being on the meds caused a good 20lb weight gain and it was only after I took an 8 month break was I able to loose that weight

And so today it begins

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Remember that this isn't irreversible. A dose reduction is not like going off the medication entirely. If the anxiety returns in force and you need to increase the dose again, you won't have the 4-6 week waiting period before you experience any benefits.

lallieth

Remember that this isn't irreversible. A dose reduction is not like going off the medication entirely. If the anxiety returns in force and you need to increase the dose again, you won't have the 4-6 week waiting period before you experience any benefits.

Thank goodness for that.I think my biggest fear is "what if I can't learn to manage the anxiety on my own" I am not opposed to taking meds for the rest of my life,I would rather not,but I guess I won't know if I can do it unless I try.

I am willing to give it my all,and know I can safely use ativan as a backup. I will take it one day/one dose at a time.:)

I have to add as well,that I know my exercise class,eating well and using anxiety reducing methods I have learned over the past 8 years will help me alot

braveheart

My experience is that meds don't take away my anxiety, but they do help me have a clear enough observing mind to face it and work through it.

Retired

Depending on which SSRI you are taking, you may or may not require tapering as you step down the dosage.

Presumably this was discussed with your doctor.

If this particular compound required tapering to step down, if eventually a step up in dosage is required, it should be done in graduated steps to avoid unpleasant adverse effects.

In connection with your stepping down the dose of your SSRI med, have you discussed with your doctor whether it might be helpful to have a fast acting anti anxiety medication you can use for situational anxiety, while on the reduced SSRI dosage?

lallieth

Depending on which SSRI you are taking, you may or may not require tapering as you step down the dosage.

Presumably this was discussed with your doctor.

If this particular compound required tapering to step down, if eventually a step up in dosage is required, it should be done in graduated steps to avoid unpleasant adverse effects.

In connection with your stepping down the dose of your SSRI med, have you discussed with your doctor whether it might be helpful to have a fast acting anti anxiety medication you can use for situational anxiety, while on the reduced SSRI dosage?

Hi Steve

I have discussed with both my therapist and family doctor,about reducing my medication,and it has been agreed that tapering won't be necessary as I haven't been on the medication long. As well I have a full prescription for ativan to be filled should I need it

I am only cutting my 20mg dosage in half,which I have done before with no problems. I am taking Celexa. When I decided to take a break I did taper and it took me a few months,but I had been on Celexa at that point,for 8 years.

Retired

Is your prescription for Ativan sublingual? If so, it should be held under the tongue, and don't swallow for two minutes.

If the Ativan is for ordinary tablets, they can be taken sublingually as well. Hold the tablet under the tongue for two minutes, do not swallow but because it's the regular tablet, there may be some residual inert filler mateiral remaining under the tongue.

The advantage of taking the Ativan sublingually is that the compound will be absorbed into the bloodstream quicker (20 to 35 minutes) than swallowing 45 to 60 minutes)

The onset of action should be slightly sooner, resulting in quicker relief from anxiety.

Check with your doctor on this.

lallieth

UPDATE

I am finally on day 4 of reducing,I have some dizziness and headache now and again,but so far OK..I woke up yesterday not feeling groggy and seem to be sleeping ALOT better with the reduction..So far no return of anxiety

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.