More threads by timesnotpoison

I'm the oldest daughter of a psychosomatic, achievement oriented, secretly mean Narcissist.

For as long as I can remember I've had a consistently chaotic, negative and crazy-making relationship with my mother.

My parents are still together and my father enables her behavior, and supports her financially.

My mother has not been employed for twenty years (except for brief periods of working at a florist's and then quitting).

When she started as a "full-time mom" it was to "properly" raise my three siblings and I, and once we became old enough to become independent she claimed she still couldn't work because she was not well enough. With that being said, she does have legitimate health problems, such as an irregular heartbeat; but she puts an inappropriate, dramatic twist on such facts and regardless of her lack of financial income, she takes all credit for my dad's work.

I'm in a particularly prickly situation, as a young adult with a college degree who is not financially independent yet and still living at home. In college I lived out of state, which was paid for by my student loan providers. After graduating I lived with my boyfriend, but they would not accept such a thing so I told them I was staying with a female friend. They ignored me for 6 months and then insisted I move back home. Although I was working, my mother put forth a tumultuous, agressive fight which included threats, and verbal and psychological abuse, and took away the keys to my car, making me lose my job. My parents use money to manipulate me. They present me with "gifts" that will "make me successful" and then hold them above my head or take them away when they decide that I don't "deserve" them, such as my car.

Let me make this clear, I have been persistently searching for steady work for over a year. I have an art degree and I don't live in a city so there are very few jobs in my field in the area. I have tried to branch out, but I have not found a full-time, steady opportunity yet. I have been employed several times, and I have not been fired from any of these positions, they all have sort of faded away. Right now I am working odd jobs and making enough to pay for my cell phone bill, car insurance, and student loan payments, but I went to college and I'm a hard worker and I know I can find something steady and become financially independent at last.

My parents harshly criticise me and badmouth me to my family and their friends. Rather than being understanding and helping me they take advantage of my "free time" by making me run errands, clean the house, and "babysit" my teen brother. They expect me to commit full-time to my mother's responsibilities instead of looking for work or advancing my life. In their eyes, I should not care about my social life, and I should be closest to them, although they are cold, condescending and negative. They "push me" forward by having long "interventions" with me, during which they share cruel, scarring, sometimes ridiculously unjustified accusations of me and become aggressive and dramatic if I politely disagree with them.

They do not respect my boundaries. I lie to them very often about where I am, in their perspective if I am not at work I should be at home tending to the families every need. My mother obsesses about tragedies that she saw in the news and sends me numerous articles and such about them, and brings them up at inappropriate times rather than asking me about my life.

My father holds me accountable for my mother's abuse, insisting that I don't communicate with them enough, which is why they "need" to give me "tough love"; but every friend or event I share with them is twisted and held against me, so why would I want to share?

I am very close with my younger sister, who is much more passive than I am. My mom tries to pin us against each-other, and we recognize this and it doesn't get to us. My sister lives out of state and asked me if I'd like to go live with her. I started interviewing for jobs out there and spent one week searching for work before my mother turned it into a fiasco and forced me to come home. Although my sister has her own apartment, my father co-signed the lease (?) and so in my mother's mind, it's their decision if I'm allowed to live there.

There are a lot more job opportunities in my field out there, and I really want to live there, but I know my mother will do everything in her power (take away my car, laptop, health insurance) to prevent this from happening unless she decides its a good idea.

My aunt also offered me a room in her house, which is about an hour from my parent's house. My parents seem okay with this idea although I have not acted upon it as I fear that my aunt will act similarly to my mother, as they are sisters.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on how to deal with this situation. I feel like I'm caught in a downward spiral and being held back by my parents. So I ask

• How can I maintain a civil relationship with my mother in the time that I still am living with her?
  • How can I convince her to "let me leave"
  • How can I go about becoming independent despite all of these obstacles?

AmZ

Welcome :)

Wow that is one hell of a sticky situation you are in, I'm so sorry.

We have some similarities - I studied art too in a London university. And I don't think that my mother was narcissistic but she was one lazy ass of a woman. Never worked and just expected my dad to work as a taxi driver 6 nights a week and wear himself out basically. She always wanted more and more and we were working class even but she was never satisfied.

I think you'll get a lot of help here. You seem very intelligent and aware of all of your family members and your options. I hope something works out for you very soon.

Take care.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
That's a tough one, its hard to make the break from a controlling parent. You end up feeling guilt and chained. But the truth is, you have to live your life for you, not your parents. What do you want,where do you want to live? If it means them taking some of your items like computers or a car, that is a small price to pay for having your freedom and at least you will be doing what you want. Figure out what you want and where you want to go and find a way to deal with the fact your mother will try to control you and make you feel guilty no matter what you do. In the end it's your life and better to be happy than to live your life than live it for someone else.

You're absolutely right.

So, I got into a fight with them last night, they were mad because i was hanging out with my friend. Although I asked them permission (at 22 years old I still need to ask permission to see my friend for crying out loud). I took my car to a friends house and my other friend picked me up, and my parents were freaking out WHERE IS THE CAR?! and I told them it was with me (it wasn't) and they have a TRACKING DEVICE in my car, and they found where it was and they were like YOURE LYING! DROP OFF YOUR CAR AND KEYS AND GET THE F OUT!.

So I did just that. I went into my room and threw all of my most important belongings (besides my cat and paintings) into a bag and I had my friend pick me up.

Giving them my car makes it REALLY hard for me to find work, but you're right: its a small price to pay for my freedom.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
That sounds just terrible, I am so sorry. Sounds like they are trying to control you with the car and how ever else they can. Somehow you need to make peace with who they are, my parents tried to guilt trip me for years and I bought into it and ended up living in a city I don't really like just to be closer to them because I felt guilty moving away. At 22 you can make your own decisions, accept that's who they are and try to have a relationship with them if you can but not just on their terms. I am years past 22, at 22 I feel like I was waiting for someone to tell me that I had the right to live my own life. No one ever did tell me that, you kind of have to arrive at that place yourself.

I think it will be hard without a car but you are right, a small price to pay for having your freedom and being I control of your own destiny. You can always save for another one.

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
I recommend a well planned gradual withdrawal. Under you control.
Stop accepting gifts and money if you can. Get a job, be with your friends and set up some boundaries. Don't get drawn into those guilt fights just say clearly that you love them but are going to start living you own life. Live at least a hour away. Distance will make the task easier for you.
You are going to have to be strong and firm.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
You are 22, with a degree and in good health. Move wherever you need to in order to find work to support yourself. If you have to work two, three or four jobs to pay for your independence then do so.

---------- Post Merged at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:28 PM ----------

As far as the car is concerned, your parents cannot take it away if the car is registered to you. -is it?

bloodwood

Full Member, Forum Supporter
Including your own life and self respect.
Here's a thought - forget about your own situation for a minute. Would you want them doing this to your kids in the future?
You and your future life deserve to be respected.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It is time to make your decisions and work towards the life you want. Being independent is the best thing about adulthood; you are responsible for your great and wonderful future. Your parents decisions about their lives are their decisions and while you may not agree with their choices it is their lives. The same goes for you; they may not agree with your choices but they are your choices. Good luck with that future! :brave:

Thank you all for your advice. I read it everyday to remind myself to stay strong.
This is taking an enormous amount of strength, I can't help but feel incredibly guilty.
I gave them the keys to my car and left the car at their house. I went to stay with my boyfriend for a few days.
I was offered a job in PA (about 2.5 hours from home) to be a full time live-in nanny, where I'll be making better money than I ever have.
And also the husband owns a restaurant so I can work there on the weekends.
I don't have a car, but I could save up for a used one in 2-3 months.
I'm going to meet the family tomorrow. Not having the car is TOUGH, but luckily I have an amazing support system from my friends.
Today is my mom's birthday and I feel very very anxious that I didn't go to see her. I don't have a car so I couldn't, I wished her a happy birthday on facebook, but my dad is insisting that I call her. I don't want to call her, I know she is just going to demand that I come home and if I tell her I can't because I have a job interview it will open a can of worms when I tell her that the job is 2.5 hours away, and I'm moving there.

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
The mature thing to do is call - it is her birthday. Keep it simple, tell her your plans - they do not need to agree with your plans but they are your plans. And move forward in your life in a positive way - that is the best way to be an adult.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.