More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Romaine lettuce outbreak update: 98 people sick in 22 states
Ottawa Citizen
April 27, 2018

NEW YORK — A nasty strain of bacteria that can cause severe illness is what’s driving a food poisoning outbreak linked to romaine lettuce, health officials said Friday.

The government now has reports of 98 people who got sick in 22 states. Forty-six people have been hospitalized, including 10 with kidney failure, which is an unusually high number of hospitalizations.

The outbreak has been blamed on E. coli bacteria in romaine lettuce grown in Yuma, Arizona. While most E. coli bacteria are not harmful, some produce toxins that can cause severe illness.

The growing season in Yuma is pretty much over, but it’s possible some illnesses will still occur, said Matthew Wise of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The most recent illness began on April 20.

In the meantime, people should not buy or eat romaine unless they know it’s not from Yuma. The Yuma region provides most of the romaine sold in the U.S. during the winter.

“We haven’t been able to guarantee that there’s no product coming out of Yuma at this point,” added Stic Harris of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration during a briefing for reporters.

While officials have tracked the outbreak to chopped and whole head romaine from Yuma, they don’t know if it was tainted in the fields or at other point, like during packaging or distribution. The types of E. coli that cause illness can be spread through contaminated water or food, or through contact with infected animals or persons, the CDC says.

The last large E. coli outbreak like this involved spinach grown in California in 2016. Officials suspect cattle contaminated a nearby stream, and wild pigs roaming the area spread it to fields.

So far in Arizona, officials have tied eight of the 98 cases to whole head romaine lettuce grown at Harrison Farms in Yuma. Those eight cases were at a jail in Alaska. That farm’s harvest has ended, Harris said.

The FDA is looking at two dozen other farms as the source of the chopped romaine tied to illnesses.
Mississippi, Tennessee and Wisconsin were added Friday to the states with reported food poisoning cases.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
A side note from 2013:

My grandmother used to make the best spinach. She’d cook it, add some vinegar and bacon. That’s how we ate it. We never thought about eating spinach raw. It’s a relatively new phenomenon that we are eating so many vegetables raw, which is why I think we are seeing vegetables as the vehicle for so much foodborne illness.

Why Lettuce Keeps Making Us Sick - Modern Farmer

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Well that plus more processing. We used to buy and prepare whole vegetables. Now they come all cut up and washed in cellophane or plastic bags. All that creates more opportunities to introduce contamination, especially in combination with less than ideal sanitary practices in the plants that prepare these “products” for shipping to supermarkets.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

...When you’re done with the grilling, you can either serve them whole (one romaine heart per person), or slice them crosswise, and toss them in a bowl for a grilled salad...

3 to 4 romaine hearts

3 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)

2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)

1/4 teaspoon salt

Pinch freshly ground black pepper
e1e1e0cfb954a036855528657c426f05-1.jpg

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Yes, until the next outbreak :D

I am not too worried but have been eating more cooked greens than raw lately. More variety than before, at least.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's actually very good as a salad, in addition to or instead of lettuce.

Cooked, I agree it's not ultra appealing on it's own but it's a great addition (nutritionally, esthetically, and for taste) as an ingredient to certain dishes like lasagna.

GaryQ

MVP
It's actually very good as a salad, in addition to or instead of lettuce.

I tried but no go for me especially raw in leaf form. Sadly there are many vegetables that are really healthy and nutritious that I just can't eat, especially raw. Broccoli for example I can only tolerate it it's in a soup or cooked dish and only if no big or hard chunks. It's sad when you think of it. Many of the good for me stuff tastes awful (to me) and too much of the tasty stuff is bad for me (especially my heart)

One thing I really like about the lunch program here being country style; There's usually more than one vegetable available so that I can get some veggies at least once a day.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Post-cancer and post-abdominal surgeries (3) there are a lot of vegetables and fruits I no longer tolerate well, as well as some probably less healthy but previously enjoyed dishes (e.g., I need to be careful about Chinese food, chili, most spicy foods, cereals and anything else whole grain, etc., etc.).

It's a pain, isn't it?

GaryQ

MVP
Post-cancer and post-abdominal surgeries (3) there are a lot of vegetables and fruits I no longer tolerate well, as well as some probably less healthy but previously enjoyed dishes (e.g., I need to be careful about Chinese food, chili, most spicy foods, cereals and anything else whole grain, etc., etc.).

It's a pain, isn't it?

I can only imagine

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.