More threads by kwilbur

kwilbur

I have been diagnosed with Impulse Control Disorder NOS for my obsessive scalp picking. I first noticed a few scabs when I was 21 during my senior year of college and under a lot of stress, but it was nowhere as bad as it is at present. I didn't notice it at all again until I started grad school in Fall 2010, and there hasn't been a period of time since then that I haven't had scalp scabs from my picking. Now it's really bad.

I tried behavior therapy weekly, but didn't have good rapport with my therapist and stopped going. I've tried Effexor with no help, and am currently on Zoloft but not noticing any changes. I should also mention I have generalized anxiety in addition to the compulsive scalp picking.

I can't stop. I constantly find my hand drifting to my head and just would rather pick than not pick. I think I pick my scalp because I know no one else can see it. My regular therapist tried a reward system with me, where my mom would pay me $10 per day if I didn't pick. I couldn't do it for one day, and that was a couple months ago.

Any advice? Please?? I actually find the habit disgusting, but I can't stop.

I have been diagnosed with Impulse Control Disorder NOS for my obsessive scalp picking. I first noticed a few scabs when I was 21 during my senior year of college and under a lot of stress, but it was nowhere as bad as it is at present. I didn't notice it at all again until I started grad school in Fall 2010, and there hasn't been a period of time since then that I haven't had scalp scabs from my picking. Now it's really bad.

I tried behavior therapy weekly, but didn't have good rapport with my therapist and stopped going. I've tried Effexor with no help, and am currently on Zoloft but not noticing any changes. I should also mention I have generalized anxiety in addition to the compulsive scalp picking.

I can't stop. I constantly find my hand drifting to my head and just would rather pick than not pick. I think I pick my scalp because I know no one else can see it. My regular therapist tried a reward system with me, where my mom would pay me $10 per day if I didn't pick. I couldn't do it for one day, and that was a couple months ago.

Any advice? Please?? I actually find the habit disgusting, but I can't stop.

Check out Welcome to the Trichotillomania Learning Center for much information and resources, including trained providers that may be in your area, as well as an article on an amino acid N-acetylcysteine (NAC) which some research shows to be very helpful to many. It has helped some people that I have worked with with skin picking.

You don't mention if you have tried using Habit Reversal, a behavioral technique. If you have the urge to pick, hold your hands down at your side for a minute, take some deep breaths, and remind yourself that urges will pass if you allow that to happen. Otherwise, find things like stress balls and other things to hold in your hands when you can and have down time.

There is also an online program for this by experts in the field at Home | StopPicking.com

DON'T GIVE UP!!! This is an increasingly treatable conditon.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.