More threads by JA

JA

I'm a master's student, studying psychology. I recently came to the realisation (after convincing from my boyfriend and reading much on the disorder) that I probably have BPD. I live in a relatively small town where I know most psychologists and feel very uneasy going to see them about such a disorder, scince they are potentially my future collegues. I really want to work on this to get better, but I feel stuck, not knowing where to start. Is there any hope for getting past BPD without a therapist? I only have a mild form of the disorder. For example, I have not had any suicidal behavior in 8 years, and I have no addictions or severly impulsive behavior. Does anyone know something about self-help in this field? Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks for your help.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Have you thought of asking your family doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist? That may give you a bit more privacy than seeing one of your future colleagues...

JA

Seeing a psychiatrist would probably help, but the waiting lists in this area, especially when it's not considered to be an emergency, is of at least a year. Even then, the psychiatrist will not give therapy, they are too busy. Instead, they usually only spend about 15-20 minutes with the client and then prescribe medication. I'd really rather avoid pills, if possible...

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It does usually take a long time but I thik you might find that (1) there are indeed some psychiatrists who actually do therapy and (2) those that do aren't going to be "pushing pills" if you don't need them. Ask your doctor to recommend someone like this for you.

As a perhaps faster alternative, more and more family physicians are specializing in psychotherapy (via residency training) -- these physicians aren't trained in psychiatry per se but do tend to be quite well trained in treating more common problems and disorders and they are covered by provincial health plans. Look in your yellow pages or ask your doctor about this -- usually, they will be identified by a listing that says "practice restricted to psychotherapy" or something along those lines.

HA

Welcome JA,

Another avenue to try is a treatment program called Dialectal Behaviour Therapy. You may not live near the Toronto area but below is information about a DBT program at CAMH in Toronto. They may be able to guide you about finding something similar in your area:

Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Clinic (a part of CDS)

This is an outpatient treatment program specifically designed for people who meet criteria for borderline personality disorder. The program is tailored to individuals who may also have multiple concurrent mental health problems or addiction problems. Treatment is comprehensive and involves a combination of weekly individual therapy, group skills training in addition to after-hours telephone consultation. A psychoeducational group for family and friends is also available. Treatment focuses on helping people manage emotions, deal with problems, improve their relationships and lead a more balanced lifestyle. Treatment entails a team approach and requires a minimum 1-year commitment to treatment.

Referral Required: No

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.