More threads by dreamcatcher217

Anyone have any good ideas on how to deal with separation anxiety? I have it pretty bad and I never know what the best way to deal with it is and how to inform others on the best ways to deal with me when it happens, specially my boyfriend. I panic when alone, when he leaves, and when time away is discussed. I dont mean to, i just get this weird feeling in my chest and panic sets in. Its so embarrassing to be a young adult, and having seperation anxiety.. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

No need to be embarrassed hun I am much older then you and i have separation anxiety I know how frightening it can be. I do hope you have a therapist hun who can help you by giving you some coping skills when this happens. Breathing techniques to use When you are separated from your bf set up a time you can either call or talk to him on computer

knowing a time you will be able to connect helps to decrease the anxiety some. It does with me anyways

David,
I can sometimes see a counsellor at the university for some talk therapy I am trying to get a referral to a good therapist, money is an issue so it has to be one covered by ohip
Thanks for the positive vibes forgetmenot!

I panic when alone, when he leaves, and when time away is discussed. I dont mean to, i just get this weird feeling in my chest and panic sets in.

I used to live with this for a long time and I can't give you one easy answer. What I found is, as I learned more about what strengths I had, and learned how to give myself credit for those strengths, the separation anxiety slowly started to diminish.

Can you think of what strengths you have - what you maybe could do even better than someone else you know - and then remind yourself that you too, have strengths and abilities to bring to this world?

Can you find something you're sort of good at, and then see if you can strengthen your skills and abilities in that department?

In my case, the separation feelings came because I had no idea what to do in almost every situation going. If I did know, I wasn't confident enough in myself to believe I knew what to do, or I was right when I made a decision.

Learning what I could do, vs what I couldn't (or thought I couldn't do) really helped a lot. I'm sorry you're having these feelings. I know they're not fun. Good luck.

Thank you I will try your technique. I have recently been approved to receive a service dog so that may also have a significant impact.

---------- Post Merged at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Which university? Are you taking any medication?
I have been upgraded to 20 mg and they have added clonazepam to the mix for two months then slowly taper off, and use it as an emergency method.

I have been approved for a service dog now all I have to do is get a doctor's note from family doctor, psychiatrist, or counsellor. Thanks again

dreamcatcher

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.