• Quote of the Day
    "It’s not the size of the step that gets you there. It’s the fact that you’re taking the step."
    Mark Victor Hansen, posted by Daniel

j4ysunpants

im trying to get a friend some help, she is about to, but she dosent want her parents to know (shes 16). what are the laws/rules/etheics whith doctor patient confidality, when dealing with a minor? she WILL be worse off if her parents find out, for the moment. feel free to email me @ jaysunpants (AT) redandkhaki.com or my sn on aim is j4sunpants

David Baxter

Administrator
That may depend on what part of the world you're in.

I get that issue out of the way right up front: I tell the teen (and her parents if they are directly involved) that what the client (i.e., the teen) and I talk about is confidential. However, if s/he tells me anything that I think the parents really need to know about, I will try to get him/her to give me permission to talk to the parents with the client or alone. I also warn every client about the usual limits: if you give me any information about ongoing or recent child abuse or risk of harm to self or others, that overrides client confidentiality and I must act on that information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom