More threads by rebecca8

rebecca8

I'm wondering if being shy can burn people out from life. Does anyone know what the signs of career burnout or personal burnout are? I hope this is just a dull patch, but looking back, I've been going down this road for like 6 years now.

I used to be enthusiastic, and sweet. I think I may have been faking it though. I've found now, I've become cynical, and distrustful, and have no motivation. I think I'm totally wiped out from being shy my whole life. I'm sick of holding back my true feelings, and now it's gotten to the point where I couldn't actually express to someone what I'm truly feeling because it would just be too mean.

For ex: This will sound bad, but sometimes someone's breath is just god awful, and I want to tell them sooooooo bad, and not even in a nice way. I just want to say, "Hey, open up your mouth, let me see if something died in there, can't you smell your own breath? I know I can in the morning when it's bad." It's like over all these years, I've held it in, it's under pressure, and I gotta let it out, but don't know how in a healthy way.

Also, I have to grow up, move out of this verbally abusive house, and start my own life. Just not quite sure on what to do to make a living. I am unable to muster the energy or motivation to complete any kind of education. I keep changing my mind too. And, like some other posters said, I'm concerned of the people contact I will have to have in some of the career choices I'm considering.

This last week, I feel angry, a little hopeless, stagnant, drained, and I can't even pinpoint why. I guess, all I can say is that I feel like I have no purpose, and no plan, nothing to look forward to. I wonder what I'm doing here. Am I alive just for others?

I have nothing to give anymore. And I lost all my friends because of that. Funny thing is that I'm glad they're gone because maybe they were takers. I asked about career burnout because what I need most is to choose a career so I can support myself semi-comfortably at least. I worked at an animal hospital for 2 years, that was 6 years ago.

I'm enrolled in a vet tech program to start this fall, and I don't even know why I applied, and did all the paperwork because I think if I really wanted to do this, I'd be working at an animal hospital these past 6 years. Instead, over those years, I've been hired in vet's offices, and quit after a day or 2 at maybe 10 different places, and end up working in retail.

You'd think I'd know if I like it or not, by now. I just can't understand what keeps drawing me back (besides love of animals), and setting me up for failure. I want to withdrawl from my program because it doesn't make sense for me to be there. I thought an education would give me confidence, but maybe I simply don't enjoy the work.

Or, I wonder if it is burnout, and if that can be overcome. It could also be that I'm still trying to live up to other people's expectation's of me. The old me......I shouldn't even care anymore because those people are long gone, and the one's who are still here, don't understand that I've changed, and don't seem to care.

Hmm, this is too long......just an honest examination of what I've been feeling, if anyone can relate, at least we're not alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I wonder what I'm doing here. Am I alive just for others?

That's basically my definition of burnout/depression -- life seems like all work and no play (or all spinach and no cake).

I'm wondering if being shy can burn people out from life.
I would think so. In my experience, the most efficient way to feel miserable is to stop socializaing.

I want to withdrawl from my program because it doesn't make sense for me to be there. I thought an education would give me confidence, but maybe I simply don't enjoy the work.

Is there a competing career choice?

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.