More threads by stargazer

Halo

To be honest if you can't stand the heat than Canada is probably not the best place for you either. In summer we not only have the temperature we have the humidity which will make it feel about 10 or 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. Than in winter we have the freezing rain, blowing snow, and a wind chill which will make it feel like it is 10 or 20 degrees colder than it actually is. Sorry but to be quite honest, I would trade places with you in California any day!!!

Not saying that we wouldn't love to have you in Canada but as long as you can handle the weather.....come on down or I guess it is up according to the map :D

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You could always move up the coast to British Columbia - it's usually quite a bit more temperate there (I say usually because they did have a major heat wave this year :eek: ).

Halo

BC is a nice place to be however they do get more rain than normal. I know for me I could never live in BC as my naturally frizzy hair would just be out of control there. I think that I would like this :hair:

But really it is a nice place to live, at least it was when I lived there.

stargazer

Well, I wasn't fixin' to seriously move to Canada, although the thought has crossed my mind, considering the state of the world today. We have this idea here in the United States that it's somehow "safer" up in Canada. Or at least some of us do--maybe a throwback from the sixties.

Anyway, what Nancy just said about the high summer temperatures plus humidity pretty much dissuaded me from moving to Ontario. Dunno about B. C. I wonder if the high temps you're talking are in the are of 105 degrees Fahrenheit, though, which is what we routinely get in the Central Valley. That's pretty darn high, when most people count 90 degrees Fahrenheit as boiling.

this one is for us canadians.. (and most notably for david, as you seem to feel the same way as i) :D

Attachments

• pierre_of_the_north_.jpg
    pierre_of_the_north_.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
sorry sg for getting off topic.. maybe this cartoon should be moved to just chat?

as for canada.. i am sure you can find the right place in canada with the temperatures that would suit you. there's always the east coast too.. you do not necessarily need to be in bc.

i also agree that canada is a safer place to be than the us. but, it's difficult to leave ones home, regardless of where it is.

stargazer

I told the therapist that, given my history of moving around a lot since Mom died, I would make a contract with myself to stay in one place for six months. Otherwise, I'd feel free to move up to Canada. See, I really have no home. My dad was career U.S. Navy so we moved every two years. I was born somewhere in Idaho, left when I was three months old, and have never been back. So I have had to select my hometown.

It does appear that things are piecing together for me here, and it would be better to move at a time when I have attained some inner stability. Whether or not that will be possible remains an unknown, but I think it's worth shooting for.

i personally find stability very important. i have gone through a lot of upheaval and it has caused problems for me. you sound like you are in a good place for you with a support system in place. i would stay put if i were you, i am glad you've decided to do so for at least 6 months. it might not be a bad idea to do so for even longer, but you can decide that when the 6 months are up.

stargazer

That's along the lines of what the therapist and I have been discussing. She also emphasized how in slowing myself down I may begin to make more measured and practical decisions.

Back to the weather, it's suddenly *extremely* windy here, and we're on a "Wind Advisory" till 4pm. The gate has been slamming against the fence & I think the roof might cave in. It's a warm wind too (the current temp is 67 Fahrenheit) & I'm a little hesitant to go on my morning run. Sky's not quite light yet.

Very eerie, seemed to come out of nowhere. Kinda scary, actually.

Halo

SG

Please don't go on your run as we wouldn't want you to get blown away with all that wind.....and I am being serious. Winds that are that high can be really damaging. Just sit back, put your feet up, relax, have a cup of tea and read as we know you like to do. Enjoy some quiet time. No running today :)

Take Care

stargazer

I just got back from the run. I ran about four miles. I did become uneasy when I found myself on a street with large trees on one side, and I saw that branches had fallen to the ground. I tried to run as close to the other side as possible. Other than that, it was all right. Once I got into the open stretches, I was fine. But thanks for the concern.

(One thing you have probably noticed is that it's hard to get a long-distance runner not to go on his morning run sometimes.)

Halo

That or you are just stubborn and determined to get that run in no matter what. :D

Glad that you are so dedicated and that you are safe and sound back from your run.

stargazer

That or you are just stubborn and determined to get that run in no matter what. :D

That's what I meant. I'm stubborn, and that's why it's hard to talk me out of my morning run. (I'm trying to avoid speaking on behalf of "all runners" this time, lest I be faulted for undue generalization here.)

Anyway, I didn't run this morning, but that's because I had run four four days in a row and it was a planned day off. I try to do only five days a week, unlike in my undergraduate youth. :smartass:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.