More threads by Murray

Murray

Hi,
I am so uncomfortable in social situations, that parties and gatherings are just pure torture for me. Often I will just send my husband without me, because he is actually pretty good at socializing and I hate that he has to basically hold my hand any time that we go anywhere. I feel that it ruins the party for him.

For the past 10+ years I have become pretty reclusive. I go to work and see people there, but otherwise I don't really do too much. I don't have very many friends and I have very little contact with my family, except for my mother. Basically I am so anxious in most of my dealings with people that I can't pick up the phone to call a friend or even answer most of the time if they call me. I also have a very hard time going places by myself, so my husband has to drive me or my friend has to pick me up. I am so ashamed of my weakness in this area that I don't admit it to most people. So, if someone does invite me to do something, I often refuse and they probably think that I am just being rude.

Anyway, I realize how empty my life is so I have been really trying to make more of a connection with people. This past year, I have really been trying to accept invitations when they are offered. I have even been the one to initiate contact a few times, mainly because I have been able to email people so I don't have to talk on the phone. I have one friend who knows how messed up I am and she will either pick me up or we will meet at one of the places that I can go by myself. I actually really enjoy visiting with people as long as there are only 1 or 2 people, any more than that and I freak out. Of course, it has to be people that I am comfortable with, which can be tough to find. Boy am I just rambling today, sorry.

The point that I was trying to get to is that as much as I really like people and enjoy spending time with friends, I always end up wondering why they would want to be my friend. My husband and I went out to dinner last night with a wonderful couple. They are so nice and I enjoy their company very much. When we were leaving the woman gave me a big hug and told me that she loved me and was so glad that we were friends. This made me feel great for a minute. Then the entire way home all I could think about was why on earth would she want to be my friend. I feel like I have nothing to offer to anybody. This woman is very intelligent, accomplished, funny, and such a kind person. I am not funny, smart, or articulate. Often I am so paralysed by my insecurities that I can barely come up with anything to say. Every time I get together with people, even if I enjoy myself, I end up almost feeling guilty that these people have to put up with me as I feel that I have nothing to offer. This is why I started to become reclusive in the first place and also why I stopped calling most of my family. I feel like being with me or talking to me is just a chore that people would rather avoid. Okay I am going to just shut up now. Sorry. I just had to get that off my chest.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The point that I was trying to get to is that as much as I really like people and enjoy spending time with friends, I always end up wondering why they would want to be my friend. My husband and I went out to dinner last night with a wonderful couple. They are so nice and I enjoy their company very much. When we were leaving the woman gave me a big hug and told me that she loved me and was so glad that we were friends. This made me feel great for a minute. Then the entire way home all I could think about was why on earth would she want to be my friend. I feel like I have nothing to offer to anybody. This woman is very intelligent, accomplished, funny, and such a kind person. I am not funny, smart, or articulate. Often I am so paralysed by my insecurities that I can barely come up with anything to say. Every time I get together with people, even if I enjoy myself, I end up almost feeling guilty that these people have to put up with me as I feel that I have nothing to offer. This is why I started to become reclusive in the first place and also why I stopped calling most of my family. I feel like being with me or talking to me is just a chore that people would rather avoid.

It sounds to me like you might be a very good candidate for CBT and cognitive restructuring.

See CBT - Cognitive Behavior Therapy - Psychlinks Psychology Self-Help & Mental Health Support Forum and in particular:

You might find these helpful, too:

Murray

Thanks for the response. Maybe I will talk to my therapist about this. We haven't tried CBT, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Does anyone else ever suffer from posting remorse? As soon as I wrote all that garbage and posted it I felt really stupid and wished that I had never written any of it. So sorry that you had to wade through all of that crap.

Domo

Inactive
Yeah every single post i make i think i sound rediculous :lol:

I used to have the same trouble you do. For years i barely left the house at all. I just started out small like you have by going out to dinner or just to see one person at a time. I still don't like to be around a lot of people by i can manage if i have to.

Definitely talk to your therapist about this :)

Xelebes

Thanks for the response. Maybe I will talk to my therapist about this. We haven't tried CBT, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Does anyone else ever suffer from posting remorse? As soon as I wrote all that garbage and posted it I felt really stupid and wished that I had never written any of it. So sorry that you had to wade through all of that crap.

I do all the time. I end up having to just let it go, despite how much it bothers me. Usually, I occupy my mind with something else like play a game or read for a bit. If someone is offended by it, I can then deal with it when they reply. Otherwise I just hope it goes away into the depths of the forum.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.