More threads by Heather

Heather

Is Social anxiety common in young children?

Does it occur in the very young? I mean is it something you learn or something that you are born with or both depending on the child?

I am asking because there is a child in my care who is 4 and a half and I think that she has social phobia. Basically she has a lot of problems coming to child care, but a lot of children cry at her age coming to care, but she hides in the toilets and in corners at child care, when group activities are happening she will not participate or even come near the group she hides in book corner under the cushions, she leaves when other children come close to her and there is only 2 staff members that she will allow near her without crying, and she is always saying she is sick.

I have explored the possibility of abuse as well but I don't think it is that, I really think it is social phobia.

Does it sound like it? I know I haven't given you heaps but yeah!

I have told her parents to take her to get professional help and I hope thay do but I thought that I would ask here as well.

Thanks Heather...

Heather

Is Social anxiety common in young children?

Does it occur in the very young? I mean is it something you learn or something that you are born with or both depending on the child?

I am asking because there is a child in my care who is 4 and a half and I think that she has social phobia. Basically she has a lot of problems coming to child care, but a lot of children cry at her age coming to care, but she hides in the toilets and in corners at child care, when group activities are happening she will not participate or even come near the group she hides in book corner under the cushions, she leaves when other children come close to her and there is only 2 staff members that she will allow near her without crying, and she is always saying she is sick.

I have explored the possibility of abuse as well but I don't think it is that, I really think it is social phobia.

Does it sound like it? I know I haven't given you heaps but yeah!

I have told her parents to take her to get professional help and I hope thay do but I thought that I would ask here as well.

Thanks Heather...

ThatLady

How long has she been coming to day care, Heather? I ask because a friend of mine had real difficulty getting her son to acclimate to day care. He wanted to be home with her, but she had to go back to work. He was about this same age, and would cry when she left him, then hide and refuse to participate, and often claim he was ill so they'd have to call my friend to come get him.

He did get over it, but it took awhile. If I remember right, one of my friend's neighbors went to fetch the little tyke when the day care called to say he was sick and crying to go home. He knew the neighbor well, but she wasn't his mother. She put him to bed, telling him that's where sick children needed to be, and his mom came home when she was finished at work. It only took a couple of these sessions and he adjusted to the day care.

ThatLady

How long has she been coming to day care, Heather? I ask because a friend of mine had real difficulty getting her son to acclimate to day care. He wanted to be home with her, but she had to go back to work. He was about this same age, and would cry when she left him, then hide and refuse to participate, and often claim he was ill so they'd have to call my friend to come get him.

He did get over it, but it took awhile. If I remember right, one of my friend's neighbors went to fetch the little tyke when the day care called to say he was sick and crying to go home. He knew the neighbor well, but she wasn't his mother. She put him to bed, telling him that's where sick children needed to be, and his mom came home when she was finished at work. It only took a couple of these sessions and he adjusted to the day care.

Heather

Yeah there are a number of children who are like this at the day care, but this child has been coming to this day care since she was about 9 months old this is why I am concerned. I am actually trained in caring for young children and this is not normal...

Thanks for the thought though!

Heather...

Heather

Yeah there are a number of children who are like this at the day care, but this child has been coming to this day care since she was about 9 months old this is why I am concerned. I am actually trained in caring for young children and this is not normal...

Thanks for the thought though!

Heather...

ThatLady

If the child has been coming to the same day care since the age of 9 months, this really is odd behavior. Did it start recently?

ThatLady

If the child has been coming to the same day care since the age of 9 months, this really is odd behavior. Did it start recently?

Heather

I have only started working at the centre recently I have been there about 3 months and she has been like this the whole of that time. Also I have asked other staff members what she was like before and they said that she has pretty much always been like that but it was put down to seperation anxiety, only now are the other staff starting to also worry and think it must be more.

I have been trying to implement a buddy system with her and also allow her to get comfortable watching before participating in activities and I am trying to involve her in small group activities before she has to join the whole group. I am also ensuring that she has times that she can just be by herself and not have others bother her and when she is feeling very vulnerable I am trying to encourage her to come to me and ask for a time out (in a age appropriate way of course). And most importantly I am working on her self esteem and gving her a lot of encouragement and ensuring there are activities she will be successful in and when she has mastered them I am trying to get other children to sit near her (with out making it obvious) to encourage the beginning of friendships. I have also brought in books about friendships etc...

I really am trying with this child!!! But am quite worried, I really do think that she needs professional help, I am trying to help her at child care but I think she may need more.

Heather...

P.S. It is heart breaking, she is such a lovely child.

Heather

I have only started working at the centre recently I have been there about 3 months and she has been like this the whole of that time. Also I have asked other staff members what she was like before and they said that she has pretty much always been like that but it was put down to seperation anxiety, only now are the other staff starting to also worry and think it must be more.

I have been trying to implement a buddy system with her and also allow her to get comfortable watching before participating in activities and I am trying to involve her in small group activities before she has to join the whole group. I am also ensuring that she has times that she can just be by herself and not have others bother her and when she is feeling very vulnerable I am trying to encourage her to come to me and ask for a time out (in a age appropriate way of course). And most importantly I am working on her self esteem and gving her a lot of encouragement and ensuring there are activities she will be successful in and when she has mastered them I am trying to get other children to sit near her (with out making it obvious) to encourage the beginning of friendships. I have also brought in books about friendships etc...

I really am trying with this child!!! But am quite worried, I really do think that she needs professional help, I am trying to help her at child care but I think she may need more.

Heather...

P.S. It is heart breaking, she is such a lovely child.

ThatLady

Sounds like you're doing everything you can think of, hon. Poor little thing is lucky to have you to care so much about her. I agree with you, though. It sounds like she needs, at least, a visit with a professional to evaluate her behavior. It just doesn't seem right. :-(

ThatLady

Sounds like you're doing everything you can think of, hon. Poor little thing is lucky to have you to care so much about her. I agree with you, though. It sounds like she needs, at least, a visit with a professional to evaluate her behavior. It just doesn't seem right. :-(

Heather

Thanks ThatLady I appreciate your replies,

I emailed a Psychologist a local one and he said that it is definately a worry and said that he would do a free first consultation if the parents feel comfortable. I have also retrieved reputable information from the web to give them.

Thanks again Heather...

Heather

Thanks ThatLady I appreciate your replies,

I emailed a Psychologist a local one and he said that it is definately a worry and said that he would do a free first consultation if the parents feel comfortable. I have also retrieved reputable information from the web to give them.

Thanks again Heather...

Heather

Hi, just thought I would say that the parents of this child took her to a child psychologist and they have identified social phobia as well and are helping us implement a program into our day care for her, although he did say that what I was doing already was a great start!

Heather :)

Heather

Hi, just thought I would say that the parents of this child took her to a child psychologist and they have identified social phobia as well and are helping us implement a program into our day care for her, although he did say that what I was doing already was a great start!

Heather :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.