More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Experts urge wider use of brain-boosting drugs
Bernadette Tansey, San Francisco Chronicle
Monday, December 8, 2008

Three job candidates sit in a quiet room, straining over a tough exam. But one of them has taken a memory-enhancing drug the other two couldn't afford. Is the test fair?

In another futuristic scenario, a drug can help airline pilots keep focused during a long flight, though it causes some side effects. May an airline require pilots to take the drug?

Get ready to confront such questions in daily life, a group of scientists and policy experts urge in a thought-provoking commentary published online Sunday by the journal Nature.

Brain research is accelerating, and a new era of "cognitive enhancement" - the use of brain-stimulating drugs and devices by healthy people - is approaching, the authors said.

While thorny ethical and medical questions must be addressed, pharmaceutical enhancement of inborn mental gifts is a trend to be welcomed, the seven co-authors from Harvard, Stanford and other prestigious institutions said.

"We call for a presumption that mentally competent adults should be able to engage in cognitive enhancement using drugs," said the writers, who include Stanford law Professor Henry Greely and neuropsychology Professor Barbara Sahakian at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. "From assembly line workers to surgeons, many different kinds of employee may benefit from enhancement and want access to it, yet they may also need protection from the pressure to enhance."

Sahakian and another co-author, Ronald Kessler of Harvard Medical School, are consultants for pharmaceutical companies. Nature noted no conflicts of interest for the other five authors, who include the publication's editor in chief, Philip Campbell.

Dr. Russell Reiff, a developmental and behavioral pediatrician at Kaiser Permanente in San Francisco, said he fears the paper will "fuel the fire of what we call prescribing pressure." Reiff said he always looks for alternatives before prescribing attention deficit disorder drugs such as Ritalin and Adderall, which contain amphetamines.

Side effects
Even now, some college students are trying to boost their academic performance by obtaining such drugs, researchers say. While studies indicate that some academics obtain stimulants through legal off-label prescriptions from doctors, others order them via the Internet or buy a few pills from friends - both of which are illegal.

"These medications can have very significant side effects," Reiff said. Healthy college students, rather than "pathologizing" their weariness over a grueling class schedule, could build in some time to shoot hoops between lectures, Reiff said.

Greely, who has been tracking policy issues in neuroscience for six years, said the article is not a clarion call for widespread use of brain-boosting drugs, free of legal controls. Instead, the authors wanted to debunk arguments that drug enhancement is immoral per se, compared to other means of strengthening mental performance, such as a double espresso or an expensive tutor. "Society shouldn't reject them just because they're pharmaceutical enhancements," he said in an interview.

The Nature paper could escalate a debate set off in December 2007 when Sahakian and a colleague, in another Nature piece, said that some scientific colleagues were using sleep disorder drugs to enhance their productivity and that student use of stimulants seemed to be on the rise. Nature followed up with more articles and a survey. That raised a renewed flurry of blog posts, news stories and sensational monikers for the phenomenon, such as "brain doping" and "brain steroids."

Effects on healthy people
Greely said the moral repugnance that is often focused on steroid use in sports should not be grafted onto cognitive enhancement drugs. "Better-working brains produce things of more lasting value than longer home runs," he said.

However, Greely and his co-authors acknowledged that drug safety is a paramount concern. Too little is known about the benefits and risks for healthy people taking medicines approved to treat mental impairments, they said. The authors called for more research so that doctors and patients can balance the gains and the harms. Risks that would be tolerated to treat a severe illness might be unacceptable for a healthy young person, the authors noted.

No new wave of high-efficacy cognitive enhancement drugs has yet emerged for healthy individuals, Greely said. But society needs to prepare itself for the intricate ethical issues that would accompany such advances, he said. Doctors, educators, labor experts, employers and legislators should be thinking about it, he and his co-authors said.

Could the competitive advantages already enjoyed by rich students be unfairly amplified by purchases of expensive new brain enhancers that are out of reach to their less wealthy peers? Such objections need not lead to a ban, the Nature authors said. Instead, they suggested, schools could give every exam taker free access to the drugs.

Fears of coercion
That solution, they acknowledged, could pressure students or workers to take drugs unwillingly to maintain their competitive edge. They called for policies to protect individuals from such indirect coercion, and from direct coercion by superiors.

But even direct coercion may be justified in cases where society would benefit from increased safety, the authors said. For example, Greely said, some societies might decide that the personal freedoms of soldiers would be outweighed by military requirements.

George Annas, who heads the health law and bioethics program at Boston University, said the authors present an idyllic view of brain-modulating drugs that emphasizes the potential upside. "You could ask, what were they smoking when they wrote this article?" he said with a chuckle.

Annas doesn't quibble with the argument that cognitive enhancement drugs are no more immoral, in theory, than other ways of heightening mental performance, such as coffee or sleep. But the crucial ethical difference turns on the safety of each drug, he said. Annas said he doubts drug manufacturers, once their therapeutic products are adopted widely as brain boosters off-label, will spend money on clinical trials that might raise questions about their safety in healthy people.

"The NIH (National Institutes of Health) is not going to fund this research," he said. "If the drug companies don't fund it, it's not going to get done."

Annas also doubts that research will produce new drugs that make the brain function much better with few side effects. "How likely is that?" he asked. "Very little in the body is isolated from everything else."

Attachments

• 456702a.pdf
    665.7 KB · Views: 0

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
That solution, they acknowledged, could pressure students or workers to take drugs unwillingly to maintain their competitive edge. They called for policies to protect individuals from such indirect coercion, and from direct coercion by superiors.

This is an extremely valid arguement against.

Academic standards could be exceded in school curriculums as a result too, leaving those unable or unwilling to take these enhancements behind.
===============
On another note: Special Education students I guess maybe might benefit from this, although it could take away from the hands on assistance we get from the programs in place for the Learning Disabled.

Last edited:

xenopath

This is excellent news, its about time the various drugs developed for sick minds were made available to healthy minds. I have long believed it is my right to do with my body and mind whatsoever I choose, and I resent government interference in limiting access to safe pharmaceuticals. Why should I be forced to fake symptoms of psychiatric disorders to get hold of brain boosting treatments? Why is the healthcare industry so opposed to promoting enhanced wellness, alongside treating illness?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't think it's excellent news at all. I think it's a bad idea from start to finish, as do many other mental health professionals.

I suggest you read the article again, more carefully this time. The fact remains that we have no idea what such medications will do to a brain that doesn't need them, especially over the long term

Ask yourself what taking synthetic thyroxin would do to your body if you had a normally functioning thyroid, or what taking insulin injections would do to you if your pancreas were functioning normally.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I don't think it's excellent news at all. I think it's a bad idea from start to finish, as do many other mental health professionals.

I suggest you read the article again, more carefully this time. The fact remains that we have no idea what such medications will do to a brain that doesn't need them, especially over the long term

Ask yourself what taking synthetic thyroxin would do to your body if you had a normally functioning thyroid, or what taking insulin injections would do to you if your pancreas were functioning normally.

:goodposting:

And yours as well Daniel :D

xenopath

It's fine that you don't care for the idea, and proper for you to explain why you feel that way. However, it should also be fine for me to disregard your concerns and it try these drugs anyway. I understand that there are risks and unknowns- afterall there has been a de facto ban on research into the effects of these drugs on healthy minds- but I don't understand why I should be denied access to these drugs on that basis. There are considerable well-documented risks with driving but no-one would think to use that as a reason to ban driving.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
There are considerable well-documented risks with driving but no-one would think to use that as a reason to ban driving.

But driving actually accomplishes something. I mean, I don't think these drugs are even going to work at enhancing already healthy brain function or mood, at least compared to existing things like exercise and coffee. In preliminary research studies, it's one thing for a rat to complete a maze faster after taking a drug and quite another for a human to have any noticeable benefits.

But I do expect that the market for "mind-enhancing" supplements will only increase over time, and that is not regulated by the FDA.

Last edited:

xenopath

According to the article, a number of people who work in this field are convinced that these drugs DO work. While I'm sure your qualifications in this field are impeccable, don't you think it may be a little premature to dismiss the opinions of these researchers without further evidence?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
don't you think it may be a little premature to dismiss the opinions of these researchers without further evidence?

That is a good point, but don't you think skepticism is also warranted? :)

Unfortunately, there's also no data on the benefits of stimulant drugs as performance boosters for people without ADHD; the anecdotal benefits appear to be mild at best. In a 2008 poll of Nature readers, 25 percent of the 1,400 respondents (who presumably are Ph.D. research scientists) said they had used drugs for nonmedical reasons to stimulate focus, concentration, or memory. Of those, 62 percent said they'd taken methylphenidate, the generic name for Ritalin.

Boost Kids' Brainpower With a Pill - On Parenting (usnews.com)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.