More threads by insideiamdying

I had gone nearly 6 years without having cut myself and then I got off my medication because my pastor told me I was healed. I reduced the medication slowly but when it got to a really low dose it hit me. Anxiety, depression, mood swings and finally cutting again. I had not been in counseling for nearly 3 years except for med management. It got pretty bad. I started to cut again and battled with terrile thoughts of suicide.

It was a nightmare. I finally called my counselor and started to see her again. My psychiatrist raised the medication backup and I am doing better. I left the church over this but have found a new one.

So remember folks... Don't reduce your medication without speaking first to your doctor...

Jeff

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
And never change your medications on the advice of someone who is not a medical professional, no matter how well-intentioned that person might be.

I think some churches of real issues with Mental Illness. The pastor at the church I was going to does not believe in Mental Illness and says that there is no such thing as a brain out of balance. He advocates prayer and then action on that prayer. I gave in after struggling with him over this for 3 years. His heart is in the right place but his actions and teachings are dangerous.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think some churches of real issues with Mental Illness. The pastor at the church I was going to does not believe in Mental Illness and says that there is no such thing as a brain out of balance. He advocates prayer and then action on that prayer. I gave in after struggling with him over this for 3 years. His heart is in the right place but his actions and teachings are dangerous.

Totally agree. I have seen this before and that view is both dangerous and ill-informed.

Totally agree. I have seen this before and that view is both dangerous and ill-informed.

After I started cutting again and displayed anxiety and suicidal issues the pastor sent me a 3-word text message saying "take your meds." I feel it was a little too late for that. But I am doing better and like my new church...

Years ago, I had a pastor tell me that I needed to pray more. I was very conflicted over the depression I was going through and whether I trusted God to heal me. It took the actions of my new pastor who recognized what I had was actual bipolar traits. I was placed in the hands of an extremely capable psychologist and psychiatrist. Today, I do not seek the counsel of my pastor. If I had listened to my original pastor, I would be dead. I needed the expertise of someone who understood the illness and what medications would work.

Banned

Banned
I too was told by my pastor to pray more, go to confession more often, etc. So I did. And I didn't understand why I wasn't get better. I just kept getting worse. Once I started cutting I was finally referred to a professional, but it was still ingrained in me that the problem was spiritual and nothing else.

It took a long time for me to trust a medical professional over the church. Pastors are trained in theology. Not psychology (usually) or psychiatry. There's a time and a place for everything but pastors telling people who demonstrate any sign of mental illness to pray more is unethical and irresponsible.

Hi Turtle: I firmly believe that people operate best in their designed sphere. Clergy as we both have learned know more about theology than psychology or about psychiatric illnesses. And they do a lot of damage when they over step their bounds. Since my "awakening" of this information, I encountered a minister as recently as last year who stated that people who chose psychological counseling over spiritual counseling were doomed. How I handled that was I reminded myself that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. And, what I had done in seeking help for my illness is what saved my life. Turtle, we did the right thing and we are better for our respective journeys.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.