More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Strategies for Saving on Prescription Drugs
By LESLEY ALDERMAN, New York Times
February 7, 2009

Drugs have never been so expensive ? or so cheap.

News reports and anecdotal evidence indicate that the recession is prompting many people to skimp on prescription drugs, putting their health at risk now and setting them up for higher medical expenses in the long term. So now is a good time to take a hard look at what you spend on prescriptions and figure out how you can make that money go farther.

The average brand-name prescription cost an eye-popping $120 in 2007, according to the most recent data from the Kaiser Family Foundation. That was up from $111 the year before. The average generic in 2007 was a mere $34, according to Kaiser. These days you can buy many generic drugs for as little as $4 for a 30-day supply at WalMart or Target, and many other retailers are offering steep discounts.

Switching to generics is obviously one of the best options, if your doctor approves. But generics aren?t the answer in every case. So before you go to the pharmacy, or your drug Web site, consider these strategies for lowering your prescription bills.

Take advantage of your insurance. If you?re fortunate enough to have employer-sponsored health insurance, you probably have a prescription drug plan. These plans are generous, but they can be confusing.

Typically they offer coverage at three levels, or tiers. You might have a co-payment of just $10 or so for a generic drug, $25 for a preferred drug (meaning the insurer has negotiated a preferred rate with the drug company), and as much as $75 for a nonpreferred drug.

To learn how the drugs you take are reimbursed, go to your insurer?s Web site and print out the formulary, the list of drugs they cover. Or call the 800 number on the back of your insurance card. If you?re taking drugs in the top tier, talk with your doctor about less expensive options. (More about that below.)

If you take one or more drugs for a chronic condition, check out the drug insurer?s mail order system. That could save you hundreds of dollars a year. Many people fail to take advantage of this option, which involves relatively little paperwork.

?Nearly 40 percent of our customers are unaware that they even have a mail order benefit,? said Ken Malley, a vice president at Medco Health Solutions, one of the country?s largest pharmacy benefit managers, as drug insurers are known. Mr. Malley estimates that a person who takes four medications for a chronic condition could save up to $400 a year by simply switching to mail order. It?s also more convenient.

Talk with your doctor about less costly options. Whether you have insurance or not, make an appointment to speak with your doctor about your drugs. Bring a copy of your insurer?s formulary, as well as a list of the medications you currently take (or just bring the bottles).

Ask three questions:

1. Are all these medications necessary? ?Medicines from every class are overprescribed,? said Dr. Edward Jardini, author of ?How to Save on Prescription Drugs? (Ten Speed Press, 2008). ?Make sure you?re not taking duplicate therapies. And make sure the drug treatment you?re on has proven to be effective.?
  2. Am I on the correct dose? If you?ve lost a lot of weight or started a vigorous exercise routine, for instance, you may need a lower dose of a blood pressure or cholesterol lowering medicine.
  3. Is there a generic alternative that I can try? Roughly 75 percent of all premium drugs have a generic equivalent or alternative. Although the osteoporosis drug Actonel does not have a generic equivalent, for example, another one ? Fosamax ? does. By switching from Actonel to the generic version of Fosamax you could save hundreds of dollars a year.
?Generic drugs are much better than they were 30 years ago,? said Dr. Edward Langston, a family doctor, pharmacist and immediate past chairman of the American Medical Association board of trustees. ?For the most part, switching to generics is seamless.?

You should also ask those questions any time a doctor prescribes a medication ? especially if it?s for a cold or the flu. Remember, colds and flus are caused by viruses, which don?t respond to antibiotics. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that consumers spend millions of dollars each year on ineffective antibiotic prescriptions for viral conditions.

And if you do need an antibiotic, for a bacterial infection, be sure to ask you doctor to look for a generic solution first.

And while you?re speaking with your doctor, ask whether long-term prescriptions can be written for 90 days, rather than 30 ? which may cost less per dose.

In addition, find out whether your medications are available in a larger dose and whether the pills can be split. Instead of taking a 50-milligram pill, for instance, you would take half of a 100-milligram pill. The cost of the two prescriptions is the same, but one will give you twice as many doses. Simple and inexpensive pill-splitting devices are available at most drugstores.

If you are on a Medicare ?Part D? drug plan . . . Talking with your doctor now, early in the year, is especially important if you are covered by a Medicare prescription plan. Discuss how you can avoid running up a large bill that will bring you to the coverage gap in Medicare Part D ? the dreaded ?doughnut hole,? in which you must pay full price for your medications.

This year Part D will cover medications until your own out-of-pocket expenditures and your plan?s outlays reach $2,700. After that, you?re in the doughnut hole and must pay the full cost of prescription drugs until the running total reaches $4,350. Only at that point does Medicare coverage resume.

Some of the strategies outlined above can help reduce your costs and possibly avoid the Medicare doughnut hole.

Compare costs at different retail outlets. Prices vary from drugstore to drugstore ? sometimes a lot, depending on the medicine. If you don?t have insurance and you take a pricey name-brand drug, shop around.

A good place to start is at the comparison-shopping site Destination RX. Plug in the name of your drug and your ZIP code, and the site will show you how prices compare at a few venues, including a local pharmacy, a large chain store and a discounter like Costco. You should also check out the prices at other online retailers, like Drugstore.com or FamilyMeds.com. In addition, call your local pharmacy and ask for prices on the drugs you take. You might be surprised. I found, for instance, that a small pharmacy near my Brooklyn home had lower prices than Costco on several medications, while the nearby chain drugstore turned out to be the most expensive option. (See table for examples of my spot-check survey.)

Even if you take low-cost generics, bargain-hunting is worth it. Several national pharmacy chains, as lures for your broader business, are practically giving drugs away. (See table.)

If your drugs bills are high and your funds are low. Contact the Partnership for Prescription Assistance, (888-477-2669), a nonprofit organization run by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America. The partnership helps uninsured or low-income consumers get access to 475 public and private prescription assistance programs.

Needymeds.org also has information on medicine and healthcare assistance programs. Older people should contact BenefitsCheckUp, a service of the National Council on Aging, which locates benefits programs for seniors with limited income and resources.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Woman's World
February 16, 2009 edition

Pay Less for Healthcare
With healthcare costs constanly rising, it's great to know there are easy ways to cut the cost of medicine and doctors' visits without having to cut quality! Experts say you can start paying less for all your healthcare needs by:

1) Getting Free Antibiotics
If you've go a prescription you can get free amoxicillin, ampicillin, eyrthropycin and more at many supermarkets and drugstores, including Publix, Meijer and Schnucks. Because these medications are inexpendsive to produce, stores pass their savings on to customers in hopes that you'll frequent their stores more often.

3) Calling this number!
Still stuggling to pay for your meds? Contact the Pharmaceutical Reasearch and Manufactures Association of America (800-762-4636) and ask for their free Directory of Presciption Druge Patient Assistance Programs. "Virtually every pharmaceutical company in America offers help to patients who can't afford medicine" says Dr Jardini.

4) Cashing in on free screenings
The best healthcare stops little problems from becoming big ones. And none of the easiest - and cheapest- ways to do that is by taking advantage of the free blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol tests, immunizations and even mammograms offered at health fairs and clinics. "They are just as good as those you'd pay for from your doctor" assures Davis Liu M.D., author of Stay Healthy, Live Longer, Spend Wisely To find free screenings near you, Google "health fair" or "free screening" plus your zip code.

5) Pocketing 24% by spotting mistakes
As many as eight to 10 hospital bills contain errors, increasing the tab by 25% on average, say independant auditors. To be sure you're not being overcharged, as for an itemized statement and alert the accounting office if you see a mistake.

TIP: Common errors include being charged for a private room when you had a semi-private one, canceled tests and brand-name meds when you had generic.

7) Save 30% with this!
Got health insurance with a high deductible? You may be elegible to start a health savings account (HAS), which lets you set aside money from your paycheck-before taxes are taken out-for health related expenses not covered by your insurance. By using pretax dollars, you're actually getting an automatic discount up to 30%, Dr Liu explains. You can open a HSA at banks, credit unions, insurance companies or possably through your employer.

8) Avoiding ER visits with your insurance card
Call the toll-free help line on your health insurance card or visit your insurer's website. Most offer a free 24-hour hotline or web chat staffed by reassuring R.N's trained to diagnose and help you treat health problems, says Dr Liu. Different companies call this service by different names, but they generally will make theirs extra easy to acces by sending you a free refrigerator magnet with all the information you'll need. Just call and ask.

9) Spending up to $200 less a year by washing your hands!
The average American gets hits with sniffles, coughs, fever or congestion two to four times each year - in fact, the common cold accounts for more doctors visits than any other condition, reports the American Lung Association. Rather than spending $200 pluss a year on OTC remedies and office visits (even co-pays can add up fast) to treat your symptoms, head off trouble by scrubbing your hands with soap and water for about 15 seconds before eating or handling food and after contact with door knobs, children or other germ spreaders.

10) Pay up to 75% less for dental work!
Clinics at dental hygiene schools and dental colleges offer exams, cleanings, fillings and other dental procedrues for about 50%-75% less than what a private dentist charges. Professors carefully supervise all work, so you can rest assured that you're getting top-notch treatment. Find a clinc near you by visiting NIDCR Home

Three Ways to save even more:
1) Get a free discount card by joining Rx Savings Plus (877-673-3688) Discounts and Lower Prescription Drug Costs Coverage Insurance at Rx Savings Plus
or Together RxAccess (800-444-4106) http://www.togetherrxaccess.com to cut prescription costs by 20% to 40%

2) Shop around! "Prices can vary as much as 400% from one drugstore to the next, so call around" says Dr Jardini.

3) Ask your doctor about older drugs. Your doctor may be focused on newest medications, but many older ones are just as safe and effective but much less expendsive.

Last edited:

amastie

... Spending up to $200 less a year by washing your hands!...
I'd like to add to this:

I saw about this on Oprah and read about it online and have found it works wonders for a constant cough caused by what is called "post nasal drip" - and, I believe, chronic sinusitis and alergies that cause one to sneeze etc.

Then i read aboutr something called a "neti-pot", a small teapot whose spout was small enough to just put into one nostril. You filled it first will salt water and then, with head tilted backward and to the opposite side (of whichever nostril you were pouring the saltwater into), you would find after a while that your sinuses would become full with the water (and sting very much if they were at all inflamed) and then pour out of the other nostril. This cleansed the sinuses and nostrils very well of mucous and bacteria etc.

When I tried to use the neti-pot, it was too much water at once and I wet myself all the way over my clothing so I came up with a better alternative for me which works wonderfully - and has the same fabulous effect of immediatly stopping that dry cough that I mentioned.

I bought a plastic sauce bottle (two for $3 here) - the sort that you pour tomato sauce into to use at the table, made from a soft, pliable plastic with fairly long, very narrow tube at the top from which to pour the sauce, and also has a tiny lid attached which pushes onto the tip to keep it covered. It probably holds about 250mls of water.

I use ordinary tap water and about half a teaspoon of salt. The salt helps to reduce inflammation but also ensures tha the natural alkaline balance of the nasal tissues is not disturbed. I put the salt into the sauce bottle first and half fill with water in order to shake well and dissolve the salt, then finallh fill it with more water and shake again.

Instead of holding my head carefully over a sink waiting for the water to pour out of the other nostril (which causes a terrible mess, I found), I put my head back and *very* slowly allow the water to drip from the very narrow opening of the sauce bottle into one nostil (sometimes assisting it with a tiny pressure to the bottle). I tilt my head only *very* slightly to the opposite side so that, what seems like a long time (for me), I can start to feel the opposite nostril fill with the water. Then I tip my head down over the sink to let the water naturally flow out of both nostrils into the sink. No mess! I do that a few times, pouring the water first into one nostril, then into the other. And don't think that ordinary tissues will be enough to hold all water that has built up in your nose and sinuses. I use two sheets of paper towel for a while till it seems mostly clear, and still you will find that you will need to blow your nose for a while after.

As I said, it can sting a lot if your sinuses are at all inflamed but I've found it works wonders, and has already saved me money on buying the various nasal driops that I was going through before.

Hope that helps some :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In addition, find out whether your medications are available in a larger dose and whether the pills can be split. Instead of taking a 50-milligram pill, for instance, you would take half of a 100-milligram pill. The cost of the two prescriptions is the same, but one will give you twice as many doses. Simple and inexpensive pill-splitting devices are available at most drugstores.

There is also a chart from an article at About.com:

Pills That Can Be Easily Split

Ambien 5 mg
Aricept 5 mg
Buspar 5 mg
Effexor 25 mg, 37.5 mg, 50 mg
Luvox 25 mg, 50 mg
Paxil 10 mg, 20 mg
Remeron 15 mg
Risperidal 1 mg, 2 mg
Seroquel 100 mg
Serzone 50 mg, 100 mg
Zoloft 25 mg, 50 mg
Zyprexa 2.5 mg, 5 mg

Of course, the above is only a partial list, and some of the above-named drugs are also available generically. And my understanding is that medications that are extended release should not be split.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From Walmart's $4 generic drug list:

Mental Health

($4 for a 30-day supply or $10 for a 90-day supply)

Amitriptyline 10mg tab 30 90
Amitriptyline 25mg tab 30 90
Amitriptyline 50mg tab 30 90
Amitriptyline 75mg tab 30 90
Amitriptyline 100mg tab 30 90
Benztropine 2mg tab 30 90
Buspirone 5mg tab 60 180 (Buspar)
Buspirone 10mg tab* 60 180
Carbamazepine 200mg tab* 60 180
Citalopram 20mg tab 30 90 (Celexa)
Citalopram 40mg tab 30 90
Doxepin HCL 10mg cap 30 90
Doxepin HCL 25mg cap 30 90
Doxepin HCL 50mg cap 30 90
Doxepin HCL 75mg cap 30 90
Doxepin HCL 100mg cap 30 90
Fluoxetine 10mg tab* 30 90 (Prozac)
Fluoxetine 10mg cap 30 90
Fluoxetine 20mg cap 30 90
Fluoxetine 40mg cap 30 90
Fluphenazine 1mg tab 30 90
Haloperidol 0.5mg tab 30 90
Haloperidol 1mg tab 30 90
Haloperidol 2mg tab 30 90
Haloperidol 5mg tab 30 90
Lithium Carbonate 300mg cap* 90 270
Nortriptyline 10mg cap 30 90
Nortriptyline 25mg cap 30 90
Paroxetine 10mg tab* 30 90 (Paxil)
Paroxetine 20mg tab* 30 90
Prochlorperazine 10mg tab 30 90
Thioridazine 25mg tab 30 90
Thioridazine 50mg tab 30 90
Thiothixene 2mg cap 30 90
Trazodone 50mg tab 30 90
Trazodone 100mg tab 30 90
Trazodone 150mg tab 30 90
Trihexyphenidyl 2mg tab 60 180

$4 Prescription Program - Walmart (also applies to Sam's Club)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Walgreens has a generic for Wellbutrin at a discounted rate:

Mental Health

$9.99 for 30-day supply
$12 for 90-day supply

Drug Name Qty. Qty.

AMITRIPTYLINE 10MG, 25MG TABS 30 90
AMITRIPTYLINE 50MG, 75MG TABS 30 90
AMITRIPTYLINE 100MG, 150MG TABS 30 90
BENZTROPINE 0.5MG TABS 30 90
BENZTROPINE 1MG TABS 60 180
BENZTROPINE 2MG TABS 30 90
BUPROPION 75MG TABS 60 180 (Wellbutrin) (For comparison, the cost for 100mg tabs of buproprion is a lot more at $79 for only 90 pills.)
BUSPIRONE 5MG, 10MG, 15MG TABS 60 180
CARBAMAZEPINE 100MG CHEWABLE TABS 120 360
CARBAMAZEPINE 200MG TABS 100 300
CITALOPRAM 10MG, 20MG, 40MG TABS 30 90
DOXEPIN 10MG, 25MG, 50MG CAPS 30 90
DOXEPIN 75MG, 100MG CAPS 30 90
FLUOXETINE 10MG, 20MG CAPS OR TABS 30 90
FLUOXETINE 40MG CAPS 30 90
FLUPHENAZINE 1MG TABS 60 180
GABAPENTIN 100MG CAPS 90 270
HALOPERIDOL 0.5MG TABS 60 180
HALOPERIDOL 1MG, 2MG, 5MG TABS 30 90
IMIPRAMINE 10MG, 25MG TABS 60 180
IMIPRAMINE 50MG TABS 30 90
LITHIUM CARBONATE 300MG CAPS 90 270
NORTRIPTYLINE 10MG, 25MG CAPS 30 90
MIRTAZAPINE 15MG, 30MG TABS 30 90
NORTRIPTYLINE 50MG CAPS 60 180
PAROXETINE 10MG, 20MG TABS 30 90
PRIMIDONE 50MG TABS 60 180
PROCHLORPERAZINE 10MG TABS 30 90
SERTRALINE 25MG TABS 30 90
THIORIDAZINE 10MG TABS 60 180
THIORIDAZINE 25MG, 50MG TABS 30 90
THIOTHIXENE 2MG CAPS 60 180
TRAZODONE 50MG, 100MG, 150MG TABS 30 90
TRIHEXYPHENIDYL 2MG TABS 60 180
TRIFLUOPERAZINE 1MG, 2MG TABS 60 180
TRIFLUOPERAZINE 5MG, 10MG TABS 60 180

https://webapp.walgreens.com/MYWCARDWeb/pdf/Value-PricedGenericsList.pdf
CVS generics listed below are $10 for a 90-day supply. This is the same cost as Walmart for a 90-day supply but includes generics for Remeron and Zoloft (unlike Walmart, apparently):

MENTAL HEALTH QTY

AMITRIPTYLINE HCL 10 MG, 25 MG, 50 MG, 75 MG, 100 MG, 150 MG TABLET 90
BENZTROPINE MES 0 5 MG, 1 MG, 2 MG TABLET 90
BUSPIRONE HCL 10 MG TABLET* 180
BUSPIRONE HCL 5 MG, 15 MG TABLET 180
CARBAMAZEPINE 200 MG TABLET* 180
CHLORPROMAZINE 25 MG, 50 MG TABLET 180
CITALOPRAM HBR 10 MG, 20 MG, 40 MG TABLET 90
DOXEPIN 10 MG, 25 MG, 50 MG, 75 MG, 100 MG CAPSULE 90
FLUOXETINE HCL 10 MG TABLET* 90
FLUOXETINE HCL 10 MG, 20 MG, 40 MG CAPSULE 90
FLUPHENAZINE 1 MG, 5 MG TABLET 90
GABAPENTIN 100 MG CAPSULE 270
HALOPERIDOL 0 5 MG, 1 MG, 2 MG, 5 MG TABLET 90
HYDROXYZINE PAM 25 MG CAPSULE 180
IMIPRAMINE HCL 10 MG, 25 MG TABLET 180
LITHIUM CARBONATE 300 MG CAPSULE* 270
MIRTAZAPINE 15 MG TABLET 90 (Remeron)
NORTRIPTYLINE HCL 10 MG, 25 MG, 75 MG CAPSULE 90
PAROXETINE HCL 10 MG, 20 MG TABLET* 90
PAROXETINE HCL 30 MG, 40 MG TABLET 90
PERPHEN-AMITRIP 2 MG-10 MG, 2 MG-25 MG, 4 MG-25 MG TABLET 180
SERTRALINE HCL 25 MG TABLET 90 (Zoloft)
THIORIDAZINE 10 MG, 25MG, 50 MG TABLET 90
THIOTHIXENE 2 MG CAPSULE 90
TRAZODONE 50 MG, 100 MG, 150 MG TABLET 90
TRIHEXYPHENIDYL 2 MG TABLET 180
ZONISAMIDE 25 MG CAPSULE 180

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/images/pr...v_pass/health_savings_pass_medicationlist.pdf

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.