More threads by noname

noname

I have been going to therapy for 1 year, 3 months now. my therapist is trained in "gestalt therapy". i have not seen many results, my anxiety is at the same level. sometimes i think it is getting worse.
i am thinking of going to CBT because i have read that it has very god results with anxiety. but i have problems with openning to people and if i want to talk about more intimate issue it wold be difficult with somebody else.
i really dont know what to do, but i feel that i am standing still.
in therapy we don?t do enything to change my beliefs, we primarely talk about my feelings i try to rise awerness of them. to me every session seems excatly the same wright now.
can you give me some advice??

Halo

Re: what should i do?

First of all I didn't know what gestalt therapy was and had to look it up and this was what I learned gestalt therapy.

I think that CBT does have good results (at least from my personal experience) and if it is something that you think that you would like to try then I say go for it. Although yes it will be hard to open up to someone new and talk about intimate issues, it will benefit you in the long run which is what you are aiming for.

I wonder though, have you spoken to your therapist about this and expressed your feelings that you don't feel that the current type of therapy is working for you?

noname

Re: what should i do?

i have told her that i dont feel eny progress but she has sad that it takes
time . how long ware you going befor seeing some improvement? it worries me that we don´t do anything do change cognitive distorsion and negative beliefs, so nothing changes!!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In terms of learning to manage the immediate symptoms of anxiety, depression, OCD, etc., there is little doubt now that the most effective strategy is a combination of appropriate medication and CBT.

Other forms of therapy may be helpful in getting at underlying issues but I would agree that you might want to consider trying someone else, a therapist who offers CBT as part of his or her therapy.

15 months is a long time to go without feeling any progress.

noname

i would like to handle severe anxiety simptoms and opssesive thoughts first because that
is the biggest problems in my every day life. i feel like i can?t do real work because constant worry is making me very tired....

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I can fully appreciate that, noname. I don't believe Jungian therapists are generally trained in CBT techniques but in terms of gaining some control over your symptoms CBT is definitely your best bet. That's why I suggestedf it may be time to find a therapist who can offer CBT to assist you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.