More threads by Labradorgal

The following lettter is a letter I was inspired to write after I read a similar one in another community's newspaper. I was so suprised when i read that girl's article, it sounded as though she was going through the exact same things as we are. she was overwhelmed by response to her letter and even started a local support group in her community. Unfortunately i have not recieved a single reply..... i live in an isolated northern community and i feel so alone.

Sept 13/ 2011
Letter to the editor

I feel compelled to write today to express my feelings in regards to children suffering from mental illness and various behavioral problems. I am tired of being blamed and shunned because of my son's behavioral difficulties and feel it is time that someone speaks out to adress this taboo subject.

When my son was born 14 years ago I had every dream imaginable. He was going to be a rocket scientist, a brain surgeon or a sucessful politician. From an early age he stood out as an exceptionally bright child. I was so proud. Then when my son started school it was evident that my son was different. The diagnoses started rolling in, first , attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder, and some obsessive compulsive disorder tendencies. By Grade three his behavior was so bad he was removed from the regular classroom and placed in a behavioral program for 2 years. Also in Grade Three he was hospitalized for the first time for assessment. I was shocked when the Doctors told me that along with all of his other labels they were adding Tourette's disorder. I am a teacher and thought I would recognize Tourette's but I was wrong. My son's tics were more complex than the vocal tics and the twitching that one pictures when thinking of Tourette's. My son would twirl, hop, sing, and had poor impulse control.

Life with my son has taken it's toll on our family, his explosive meltdowns, panic attacks and impulsive behavior make it more than impossible to live a “normal” life. I even had to stop attending church because of all of the harsh comments I got from others. He was an honor student in a regular classroom with a part time aid in Grade 5 and 6. Now he is in a segregated special education classroom because the school just can't handle him. He also only attends school for 3 hours a day.

It breaks my heart to know that my son is being pushed through the system and will not have a complete education.

I find it impossible to find qualified care givers for him so I am unable to commit to a job. I have been unable to work for over a year.

I am frustrated with the lack of information available to teachers, professionals and the general public. We have been stared at and judged more times than I care to remember.

The stigma and blame attached to these problems cause many of us to suffer in silence.

“About one in five children and adolescents suffers from some type of mental health disorder such as anxiety, depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or behavioral disturbance. Only 15 per cent of children in need of help receive the help they need when they need it most. The majority of adults coping with a mental health disorder experienced the onset of symptoms by late adolescence.

Mental health disorders are not “seen” like other illnesses such as heart disease or cancer and are often called “the invisible disability.” Often, the only way to know if someone has a mental health disorder is if they tell you. The stigma attached to mental illness is so pervasive that people who suspect that they or their child might have this problem are unwilling to seek help for fear of what others might think.

Children of all ages have experienced stigma through rejection, blame and intolerance. These children are at the greatest risk for school failure, poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, homelessness, criminal behaviour and early death.” (Mental health, stigma are serious challenges for children, Cape Breton Post, Dr. Julie MacDonald Published on September 10, 2011 )

I know I can’t possibly be the only parent in this situation. A professional that works with my son made the comment that I would be surprised by the amount of parents going through this with their children. My question is Why do we have to suffer alone? We should get support groups organized so that we can share ideas and offer support to each other.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi Labradorgirl,

Welcome to PL. Your letter to the editor touched me. It reminds me of a few friends of mine who are currently facing some of the same challenges.

It may be hard to get some support locally for you and your family. But have you considered online communities that are geared specifically for some of the challenges you've discussed here?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.