More threads by Jazzey

Jazzey

Account Closed
Survivors of Child Sexual Assault
NSW Rape Crisis Centre

If you were sexually abused in childhood you may have been deeply affected in many ways. Despite this, survivors have many strengths and resources to help them overcome these effects.

Surviving Child Sexual Abuse
Survivors have reported that as children they had to 'be strong' and 'show no fear'. They had to 'keep all their emotions bottled up'. One survivor said she had to 'put on a mask' and 'didn't even know who I was anymore'. Another said that she felt hatred for her parents who were abusing her. 'That was the main emotion that kept me alive.' Survivors have reported that they hid a lot as children: 'We hid in cupboards, in the chook pen', 'we hid in a fantasy world'. The behaviours and strategies that children develop in order to resist and survive the abuse can continue to affect them in their adult lives.

Common effects and feelings

Emotional isolation
A feeling of being in a bubble, 'not normal'. Children who are abused can be very emotionally isolated. The abuser can force the child to keep the abuse a secret, and the child may worry about what will happen to the family if the secret is told. The burden of the secret can be carried into adulthood. The carrying of the secret, and the fact of the abuse, can make you feel different and apart from others, not like a 'normal' person from a 'normal' family.

Self-blame and guilt
'A sign on me saying "This is a bad person"'. As a child you may have thought that you were to blame for the abuse. You may have felt that the abuse was punishment for something you had done wrong. The abuser may, in fact, have told you that this was the case. Children usually assume that adults, who are in a position of authority, are right. The guilt and shame felt by the child can persist into adult life.

Betrayed trust
As an abused child your trust was betrayed-perhaps by someone trusted by the family, or even by a parent. When this happens it can be difficult to trust again. It can be difficult as an adult to trust in yourself, as well as to trust others.

Experiencing 'triggers'
If you were sexually abused in childhood there may be things that bring back or 'trigger' memories. These include not only obvious things like childbirth, Pap smears or the way your partner touches you sexually, but also everyday things such as colours, kinds of furniture or vehicles, sounds, or smells, which bring back memories or feelings associated with the abuse.

Challenges for adult survivors

Relationships
Abused children are forced to do what adults want. The adult's wants come before the child's needs. The child has also been charged with keeping the abuse secret at their own expense, to protect their family. As a result of this kind of training, adult survivors may feel they have to put the needs of others above their own: 'I feel protective of others, and over-responsible'. In relationships, there may be problems asserting yourself. This may be with friends, partners, relatives and the people you work with. Some survivors have problems in sexual relationships: sex and physical contact may recall the circumstances of the abuse.

Anger
Some adult survivors report problems with anger. It may be anger that is hard to direct-anger against fate, or God. You may feel angry with yourself for not being able to stop the abuse, angry with the abuser, or angry with parents or care givers for not protecting you.

Depression
Some adult survivors report depression as a symptom of abuse. Research shows, in fact, that depression is the most frequently reported symptom (Berliner & Elliot, "Sexual abuse of children", in Briere et al (eds), The APSAC handbook on child maltreatment, 1996).

Fear, anxiety, and being 'always on guard'
Fear and anxiety are normal responses to trauma-so is the feeling of needing to be on guard against possible danger. Researchers have found that survivors of sexual abuse are up to five times more likely to be diagnosed with at least one anxiety disorder than other people (Saunders et al, "Child sexual assault as a risk factor for mental disorder among women: a community survey", in Journal of Interpersonal Violence 7, 1992).

Self-harming, addictive, compulsive and suicidal behaviours
Many survivors develop strategies to avoid overwhelming feelings and memories and the pain associated with them including:

• eating problems, including starving, bingeing, vomiting food, or overeating
  • sexual difficulties, including avoidance of sex, promiscuity, or experiencing fear and 'flashbacks'
  • being a 'workaholic', over exercising, or other compulsive behaviours
  • engaging in self-harm, including cutting and burning one's arms, legs, genitals or other parts of the body
  • repeatedly thinking about wanting to die.

Seeking counselling may be one way to find alternative strategies for working through the pain, memories and other impacts of abuse. You can call NSW Rape Crisis Centre's 24-hours crisis telephone counselling lines for assistance.

Fear that I'll become an offender
Some people believe that someone who was sexually abused as a child will grow up to become a child abuser themselves. This can lead to constant self-questioning and anxiety about being near children.

There is no basis for this belief; no link has ever been established between abuse in childhood and later becoming an offender.

Traumatic amnesia
A child who was unable to tell anyone about the abuse, or told but wasn't believed, is under great pressure to deal with the abuse by themselves in other ways. Some survivors have experienced traumatic amnesia or delayed recall of memories of child sexual abuse. Traumatic amnesia is a particular response of the brain that prevents a child from having any conscious recall of the abuse. It is associated with extreme emotional trauma and has been documented by researchers in relation to a wide variety of traumatic events, not just child sexual abuse. One study found that traumatic amnesia was more likely to occur in child sexual abuse survivors if:

• the abuse took place when the child was very young
  • the child feared death if they told anyone
  • the abuse was associated with physical injury
  • there was more than one abuser.
(Briere & Conte, "Self-reported amnesia for abuse in adults molested as children", in Journal of Traumatic Stress 6, 1993).

Women who were abused as children
The effects of child sexual abuse are further strengthened for girls and women by what can be called 'gender training'-the way women are seen in our culture. Guilt, powerlessness and being there for others are promoted by a wide range of social and cultural practices which blame women and girls for sexual violence, suggest women are responsible for maintaining relationships and moral standards and encourage women to be passive and dependent on others (Dympna House Info Kit, 1998).

Healing
There is an assumption in society that people who have been sexually abused in childhood are 'damaged' and not capable of living a normal life. On the contrary, survivors manage to live their lives and succeed in a range of professions and in all strata of society. In doing so they show great strength and courage. Despite the impacts of child sexual assault, adult survivors resist the effects of the abuse in many ways, and find strategies to help with healing.

Getting help
If you have decided that it's time to get some support to heal from the impacts of the abuse, or are trying to support someone else in their healing, NSW Rape Crisis Centre operates a 24 hour crisis telephone counselling and referral service. Also, see our fact sheet on "Choosing a Counsellor".

Jazzey

Account Closed
Lately I've been really trying to understand myself, what I've done or haven't done in my life...

I seem to often fall into this little trap:

Self-blame and guilt
'A sign on me saying "This is a bad person"'. As a child you may have thought that you were to blame for the abuse. You may have felt that the abuse was punishment for something you had done wrong. The abuser may, in fact, have told you that this was the case. Children usually assume that adults, who are in a position of authority, are right. The guilt and shame felt by the child can persist into adult life.

But I'm getting a little better at pulling away from it a little. Other than the current thought of - why was I so intent on denying this for so long, into convincing myself that I was creating little melodramatic scenarios in my mind? Therapy was for people who had "real issues" - not me. If I hadn't put so much effort into this denial, I can't help and wonder if I could have avoided the rape. And now, this rape which only a few months ago was a stand alone entity for my pain is being overshadowed by the concrete knowledge about the other things in my life.

Relationships
Abused children are forced to do what adults want. The adult's wants come before the child's needs. The child has also been charged with keeping the abuse secret at their own expense, to protect their family. As a result of this kind of training, adult survivors may feel they have to put the needs of others above their own: 'I feel protective of others, and over-responsible'. In relationships, there may be problems asserting yourself. This may be with friends, partners, relatives and the people you work with. Some survivors have problems in sexual relationships: sex and physical contact may recall the circumstances of the abuse.

I self-identify on this one. This is what I see as the area upon which I'll have to do the most work on myself. Today, for fear of being rude to 2 men (strangers) , I put myself in a really dangerous situation (cornered by them in an alley that I knew not to take)...and yet, once in the situation, feeling in danger and unsafe - I still couldn't leave because I kept thinking I'd hurt their feelings, that I may be wrong and would just be rude for the sake of being rude. Worse yet, if anything had happened, I don't think I would have fought - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have...The only thing that saved the situation is that they were both very drunk and, I suspect, under the influence of another drug - when they tried to approach me, they stumbled - I left....Wishing them a good day....

And now, I'm recognizing just how much work I'm going to have to do on those thinking patterns. Yesterday, I would have assured any of you that, through my own knowledge now, I would no longer put myself in these precarious situations. But that's not true - today's events only serve to confirm that I still have those stupid, self-destructive thinking patterns, despite my knowledge. I'm still not protecting myself.

Which only leads me here:
Self-harming, addictive, compulsive and suicidal behaviours
Many survivors develop strategies to avoid overwhelming feelings and memories and the pain associated with them including:
eating problems, including starving, bingeing, vomiting food, or overeating
sexual difficulties, including avoidance of sex, promiscuity, or experiencing fear and 'flashbacks'
being a 'workaholic', over exercising, or other compulsive behaviours
engaging in self-harm, including cutting and burning one's arms, legs, genitals or other parts of the body
repeatedly thinking about wanting to die.

...:yuck:

I'm willing to do the work, but I really wish that knowledge sometimes could be enough. How long can it / will it take for me to actually want to protect myself? Will I always be at risk of being susceptible to the victimization? All balanced with a heavy dose of "I really don't care anymore"...It's just too darn heavy...

Last edited:
i think you're being very hard on yourself jazzey. you can't fix your thinking patterns overnight. it's going to be step by step, and that's ok. because trying to rush it will mean nothing will stick, and doing it step by step will mean that each step you take you will focus on for a while until it becomes a part of you and it will stick, and then go on to the next.

i fear being rude to other people too and upsetting them. it really does get in the way of taking care of ourselves though. it's going to take time and practice to get over that. in the end, what matters most is your safety. so what if those men think you are rude? that is their problem, and they'll forget about it after a day. you on the other hand are going to remember this for a while.

why was I so intent on denying this for so long, into convincing myself that I was creating little melodramatic scenarios in my mind? Therapy was for people who had "real issues" - not me.
this was about survival. this was about not having to face reality because it was too much. don't blame yourself for that. you were coping the best you knew how.

had the last incident not happened to you you might still be in denial about it all right now. the incident has forced you to look at the past as well. as painful as it is, in the long run this looking at the past will be a good thing for you. sometimes it takes a real crisis before we are finally ready to stop the denial and to realize that we have some things that need some serious attention. i am sorry your crisis took the form of what happened to you.

Will I always be at risk of being susceptible to the victimization?
i think with a lot of work you can definitely reduce that risk to being as small as possible. you can also always maintain booster sessions with your therapist once you get to a very healthy mindset, just to ensure you stay there. i think that's what i'll be doing to keep me from depressive-like thinking in the future.

I wish that I could think of the right thing to say to help. I am kind of at a similar place though. I think as you work through these things in therapy you will gain insight and power. I think it will help you deal with this better. :hug:

I wish I can say something to help you.
I think one thing like me I need to learn coping skills when I am confronted with certain situation. Maybe you will have to talk to your T and make up scenarios and write them on paper and discuss how would you deal with these scenarios if they were to come up. Maybe the more you discuss the scenarios then you will be more confident in your self to deal with them if they were to ever come up again.
It could be a scenarios like today's or maybe scenarios with dealing with certain people in your family so when ever they are right in your face you will be better prepared to deal with them.

Take Care of Yourself

Sue

Jazzey just know i admire your strength every day to be able to move on through all this. You bring clarity to others through your post. The task ahead seems so impossible yet you go and you give it your all. There is nothing more you can do Jazzey. Your T will give you direction on how to keep yourself safe and yes it will take time to heal but if anyone can conquer Jazzey you can. best wishes mary

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks everyone. And sorry - that was a tad on the negative side of things. I was just very angry at myself. I knew better than to take this alley (which is a shortcut) but convinced myself that I'd be ok since it was the middle of the day. Once in there, I saw the 2 men - and instinctively knew to back track, turn around and just leave. But I didn't because I figured they'd seen me and this would be rude.

The anger is really about my having just told my psychologist that I think I would protect myself against strangers now - because I recognize those thinking patterns. Oops.

I'm ok - I just got a little scared yesterday, and very angry at myself for purposely choosing to ignore my red flags in an effort to be polite. That scenario could have ended so badly for me yesterday.

...More work in therapy. And I'll give myself credit for at least knowing that I do this.

The anger is really about my having just told my psychologist that I think I would protect myself against strangers now
what has you angry about this? do you feel you were making it up?

it's ok to believe one thing and then find out that it's not as you thought. you can take this back to her and say, i thought i would protect myself but just had an experience that was the opposite. she can help you with how to handle yourself should something similar happen again.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I actually really believed that I would protect myself against strangers. That's all. I'm just appreciating that the old patterns (dismissing my own instincts) are going to be harder to rectify than I thought...That all. :)

i understand. you are angry at yourself for not protecting yourself when you were so sure you would. you've let yourself down. it makes sense you would be upset with yourself. i'm sorry this has happened. luckily enough nothing happened and you were able to leave. :hug:

Worse yet, if anything had happened, I don't think I would have fought - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have...The only thing that saved the situation is that they were both very drunk and, I suspect, under the influence of another drug - when they tried to approach me, they stumbled - I left....Wishing them a good day....

How long can it / will it take for me to actually want to protect myself? Will I always be at risk of being susceptible to the victimization? All balanced with a heavy dose of "I really don't care anymore"...It's just too darn heavy...

Jazzey,

In my opinion that situation you were in must have been incredibly difficult but I think you showed strength in your composure and self preservation in your actions.

I think it's a perfect example that not only do you want to but you are protecting yourself. You were composed enough to be polite, stand your ground, recognize the potential danger and remove yourself from it.

In my books, that is courage.

Have you thought about defensive training or martial arts, perhaps it could help you feel more at ease in case something like that happens again if you should need to defend yourself?

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks Budoaiki :). I actually have self-defense training. I think now I just have to master the thinking skills :).

Glad to hear you have training. Mastering thought, the hardest and most rewarding skill of them all no black belt required.

How do you cope when you trying to move on, work through with what happened to you? Thats what I'm having troubles with right now. I can't eat, I can't sleep. I'm reading this book called The Courage to Heal. My psychologist wants me to practice new coping mechanisms rather than the ones I used when it was still happening to me. Any suggestions?

Hi Lil Freckles I am glad to see you are reaching out to people this in itself is a good coping mechanism and you are doing it now while you are young. This shows you have great strength. I can only repeat to you what has been said to me and that is to love yourself and know that nothing was your fault. Take one day at a time and having a psychologist who treats post traumatic symptoms will help you as well. Journal all your feelings in writings or poetry keep track of this and bring it to your doctor this will help get your emotions out of your head and make sense of some of them. I admire your strength and know you will get the support you need here. You are not alone people here will help okay I hope this helps a bit but know you are someone special and love you no matter what take care Mary

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Wanted to get back to you on coping skills. I found art therapy worked wanders with my daughter. What ever can bring you happiness. Her art went from being very dark to now very mystical beautiful. Find something that interest you music lessons, art lessons, maybe even drama acting these are all great ways to help you cope. Whatever brings you happiness in a positive way. My daughter wants to try skydiving yikes. What makes you happy makes you interested in life Take care mary

One of the coping mechanisms I used to use was everything was hilarious! I would put on the biggest happy face and draw attention to myself that way. My friends aunt said I should go into performing arts, improv. she thought I was hilarious. But I was lacking the self esteem to actually go up there and be myself. Now it seems like every time I'm close to achieving something I sabotage it. I'm just lost in my own head. I never thought I'd have to stop and ask for directions for my own brain.

Hi Lilfreckles:

Sabatoging - a lot of people do that but the trick is to get up and try again. I like the idea of getting in drama lessons or acting because there you get to be a different character. My daughter is extremely shy but not when she is asked to become a different character. She says it is a release for her because she has fun with it. You should try it and see. You may just enjoy it and you meet other people with same interest as yours. take care mary

I am so thankful this website is here. I'm grateful for everyone who puts in their 2 cents. Even if you don't say the right things at the right time, you're here and thats what counts! I wouldn't be reaching out if this website didn't exsist. I know this is the place I can come and not be ridiculed for the things I've done, or get laughed at because of the things I'm feeling and experiencing.

Just a little moment of gratituity:)

I am so thankful this website is here. I'm grateful for everyone who puts in their 2 cents. Even if you don't say the right things at the right time, you're here and thats what counts! I wouldn't be reaching out if this website didn't exsist. I know this is the place I can come and not be ridiculed for the things I've done, or get laughed at because of the things I'm feeling and experiencing.

Just a little moment of gratituity:)
:thankyou2:

I am glad that you feel safe and respected here , the Administrators and moderators work hard so that that every member can feel secure and confident that they can reach out. It is great to recieve feedback like this lil freckle :hug:

I'm reading this book called The Courage to Heal.

I was wondering if you (or anyone else) are finding this book helpful...and if so, in what way? Is it helping just to read it, or is doing the exercises helping you? Is the book helping you to get some closure or resolution on what happened? Please don't respond if doing so will upset you or cause you distress - I absolutely do not want to stir up any negative feelings by my questions. Thanks

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.