More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Look out, men: Testosterone is under attack
By Richard Conniff, MensHealth
Aug 19, 2007

A phenomenon called a xenobiotic attack is meddling with your manhood

In 2003, professional golfer Shaun Micheel took his game to a new level. He won the PGA Championship on the 72nd hole with his 21st birdie of the tournament. Then everything seemed to fall apart.

"I lost my drive. I didn't enjoy practicing anymore. If I made a couple of bogeys, I just wanted to go home," he said at the time. It was more than a slump. He barely even showed up on the professional circuit the following year. At first he thought it was depression. "I seemed to be tired all the time, and irritable. I wasn't myself."

But in April 2005, a blood test showed that, at the age of 36, Micheel had the testosterone level of a 70-year-old. His doctor had him rub a hormone-replacement gel onto his biceps each morning. By September his testosterone level was back to normal.

It wasn't a miracle cure. He still hasn't won another major tournament, though he did manage a second place finish last year. But Micheel is working his way back up the list of money winners. More important, both he and his wife say testosterone has given him back his old, upbeat personality.

Good news for him, but what about the rest of us? Some scientists now wonder if a lot of other "walking, talking, normalish guys," as one urologist put it, are also experiencing a fading of the hormonal basis of masculinity, leaving them feeling less like the men they used to be, less than their fathers were in their time.

Falling testosterone levels
Most men can expect their testosterone levels to drop by about 1 percent a year beginning in their 50s. So a man in his 70s might have only half the testosterone he had when he was 25. But researchers behind the Massachusetts Male Aging Study ? which has been tracking behavioral and physiological traits for 1,709 men born between 1916 and 1945 ? noticed something strange. Men born more recently had T levels that were surprisingly low. The 60-year-old in 2003 had about 15 percent less testosterone than the 60-year-old in 1988, according to Thomas G. Travison, Ph.D., lead author of the testosterone study. Sixty was looking like the new 70. Had something happened? Could we be in the middle of some broad biological or environmental change affecting all men simultaneously?

No one was suggesting that men rush out to get their testosterone levels checked (though, okay, I did), much less consider testosterone therapy (and, yes, I am considering it). As one endocrinologist put it, "You need to see more than one study from more than one laboratory before you start waving your arms and shouting alarm."

But the Massachusetts results marked a turning point: Testosterone is no longer just a hot topic for misguided weight lifters or baby boomers with delusions of eternal youth. It's something the average aging male will need to think about, starting with a few testosterone basics.

What makes us men
Testosterone is literally what makes us men. Delivery of the right amount at the critical moment shifts development of a fetus away from the basic human blueprint, which is female, and onto the path to masculinity. A surge in testosterone (from the testes ? hence the name) in adolescence boosts us into manhood. And for the rest of our lives, testosterone, or the lack of it, seems to play a key role in muscle strength, lean body mass, bone density, mental sharpness, and sex drive ? the things that often make us feel best about who we are.

Despite testosterone's explosive reputation, there's no solid evidence that it causes aggression or violence. On the contrary, heightened testosterone is often associated with self-confidence and social success. Testosterone levels typically increase to ready us for a challenge, whether it's a football game or a chess match. Testosterone also rises after a victory, causing an increase in confidence that often leads to even more victories, the so-called winner effect. Who would want less of a hormone like that?

And yet the quantity of the stuff, even in healthy young men, is astoundingly small. Most doctors measure total testosterone as the starting point, and for American men under the age of 40, the normal range is 300 to 1,000 nanograms per deciliter of blood. (That's what "ng/dl" means on your medical laboratory report.) A nanogram is a billionth of a gram, and a deciliter is a 10th of a liter. Or, to put it in layman's terms, not bloody much. If you somehow managed to collect all the testosterone from your entire body, it would barely fog the bottom of a shot glass.

It's in the blood
But it gets more complicated. Testosterone occurs in the blood in three forms.

About 40 percent of total testosterone is tightly bound to sex hormone?binding globulin, or SHBG, meaning it's not readily available for use by the body. In fact, nobody knows for sure what function SHBG-bound testosterone performs.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
An oatmeal-free way to increase testosterone levels:

Try the jump squat. A Penn State study found that it leads to the highest post-exercise testosterone levels of all the exercises studied. Pick a weight that's about a quarter to a third of what you'd normally use for squats. Go down about halfway, then push back up so hard your feet come off the ground. Land with your knees slightly bent, then immediately squat and jump again. Try three sets of five to eight jump squats at the beginning of your workout.

YouTube - Dave doing Jumping Squats

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Americans are a strange breed. There are things about them we Canadians wouldn't understand. Things we couldn't understand. Things we shouldn't understand.

Banned

Banned
I've only taken a liking to oatmeal lately, well, since Starbucks came out with their over-priced oatmeal that is perfect for when I'm on my way to school. I'm not sure yet how it affects my testosterone, and I'm not sure I want it to increase.

Banned

Banned
I can't vouch for chocolate chips in oatmeal, but I can definitely say that chocolate chip pancakes rock my world. No question.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
5 Ways to Increase Your Testosterone -- Men's Health Magazine

A testosterone shortage could cost you your life. As if losing muscle mass, bone density, and your sex drive to low T levels wasn't bad enough, new research shows the decline can also increase your risk of prostate cancer, heart disease, and even death. Follow these steps to lift your levels and lengthen your life.

1. Uncover Your Abs

As your waist size goes up, your testosterone goes down. In fact, a 4-point increase in your body mass index—about 30 extra pounds on a 5'10" guy—can accelerate your age-related T decline by 10 years. For a diet that'll help keep your gut in check, try the all-new Men's Health e-book, The Six-Pack Secret. You'll learn how to sculpt rock-solid abs in 4 weeks. It's the most effecticve muscle-up weight loss program ever.

2. Build Your Biceps

Finnish researchers recently found that men who lifted weights regularly experienced a 49 percent boost in their free testosterone levels. "As you strengthen your muscles, the amount of testosterone your body produces increases," says David Zava, Ph.D., CEO of ZRT Laboratory. You need to push iron only twice a week to see the benefit.

3. Fill Up On Fat

Trimming lard from your diet can help you stay lean, but eliminating all fat can cause your T levels to plummet. A study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine reveals that men who consumed the most fat also had the highest T levels. To protect your heart and preserve your T, eat foods high in monounsaturated fats—food such as fish and nuts.

4. Push Away From The Bar

Happy hour can wreak havoc on your manly hormones. In a recent Dutch study, men who drank moderate amounts of alcohol daily for 3 weeks experienced a 7 percent decrease in their testosterone levels. Limit your drinking to one or two glasses of beer or wine a night to avoid a drop in T.

5. Stop Stress

Mental or physical stress can quickly depress your T levels. Stress causes cortisol to surge, which "suppresses the body's ability to make testosterone and utilize it within tissues," says Zava. Cardio can be a great tension tamer, unless you overdo it. Injuries and fatigue are signs that your workout is more likely to lower T than raise it.

I like oatmeal too! I tended feel sick the first 5 years of eating it. Then it became acceptable. After I loaned 95% of my fortune to a Nigerian Prince (long story, don't ask!) a few months ago, I am starting to appreciate what I have more.

Zinc is the mineral that most of us tend to lack. Up to 12% of americans are at risk. 2 billions worldwide have this deficiency.

It affects testosterone, in just one month of a zinc deficiency, T drops 20%. Supplementation with zinc in patients who typically had low zinc intake for 6 months, made their testosterone soar 85% higher then before.

Back to oatmeal- what about putting fruits in it? It makes it even more... exquisite! :rofl:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.