More threads by Into The Light

Is Your Fear of Therapy Holding You Back?
by Mark Pines, Orange County Therapist

It is normal to feel nervous when you are thinking of starting therapy. Our impression of what happens in a therapy office often comes from what we see in movies and TV. Fortunately, reality is a lot more pleasant. The following is a list of common fears people have before starting therapy.

1. I will have to reveal all my secrets.
New clients often worry that they will have to disclose their deepest and most embarrassing details of their life. I always encourage clients to share only as much as they feel comfortable. It is true, that honesty helps in therapy, but it is also true that trust takes time to develop. It is far better to share your life at a pace that you feel comfortable with.

2. People will think less of me for seeing a therapist.
Most people have heard the clich? that, “men won’t ask for directions – they would rather drive around lost for hours.” I would be lying, if I said I was not guilty of this myself from time-to-time. We laugh at this clich?, because we realize that it is better to ask for help when we need it, rather than endlessly struggle alone. I believe it is a sign of strength and maturity to seek help when it is needed.
Additionally, there are many different reasons that people come to therapy. Some people seek therapy when something in their life feels “stuck” in some way. However, many people come to “take their life to the next level.” These are people who have a good life, but who want things to be even better.

3. I will change into someone else.
Growth takes time to occur. Most people who are in therapy for some time, experience their change as “growth”. They are able to look back at their past experiences with new-found clarity. This is similar to how we matured when we were children. As each year passed, we saw ourselves and the world a little different.

4. Men in white coats will take me away.
Only in extremely rare cases, can someone be forced to get help against their will. This only happens if a person is actively planning to do serious physical harm to themselves or others. Even if a person is having suicidal thoughts; unless there is reason to believe that this person will carry those plans out in the near future, no one can force them to get help.

5. Someone will find out that I am in therapy.
Your confidentiality is essential for a client-therapist relationship and is very well protected by law. Nothing you say will ever be reveal to anyone. There are a few important exceptions as required by law. For example, I must make a report if I hear of a child being abused. Besides the specific cases mandated by law, there is no way for anyone to find out if you are in therapy. Even if someone calls my office and asks if you are a client, I do not reveal that information.

6. My therapist will be able to see through me.
Therapists have training and experience that helps them to be very insightful. This is what helps them be supporting and caring partner in people’s lives. However, none of them have special powers to see through people. In fact, I often find myself in awe of my client’s infinite and beautiful complexity.

Fortunately most people find that their fears about therapy soon pass. Ultimately, their therapeutic journey can be one of the most fulfilling and enriching experiences of their lives.

Jazzey

Account Closed
for me:

7. that there really is something wrong with me;
8. that there is something wrong with the people that I love;
9. that the darkest secrets that I've held so close to my chest for so long will be revealed and I'll be hurt in the process.
10. that some of these secrets, that I'm pretty good at re-characterizing for myself, will be presented to me in a way that I have to acknowledge the reality of them.

And yet, I stay in therapy for each one of these personal fears.

Fiver

1. I will have to reveal all my secrets.

Only when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

2. People will think less of me for seeing a therapist.

People already think less of me for declawing my cat. And for not using fertilizer on my lawn. So what do I care about the rest?

3. I will change into someone else.

That would be pretty cool, but only if I could change back at will.

4. Men in white coats will take me away.

Ha! Been there, done that!

5. Someone will find out that I am in therapy.

Hell, everyone at work knew where I was five minutes after I called to tell them I was locked up. Now I use it as fodder for amusing personal anecdotes. Why not remove the stigma in a way they understand?

6. My therapist will be able to see through me.

Actually, she does. But she's been in the bidniz a long time and she is intuitive...and there are some things she's trained to spot that I'm not good at hiding. And oh yeah, did I mention she's good, and she's a lot smarter than me?

Frankly, that's a plus. At least for me.

Did I just prove a few myths to be somewhat true? Heh.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.