More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Recommended reading/viewing:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

A 2014 Cochrane review found that telephone counseling can reduce symptoms of depression for caregivers and address other important caregiver needs.

Services that may be helpful to caregivers include:
  • health services in the home
  • companion or chore services
  • day care centers for adults
  • respite care, time out at nursing homes, or assisted living facilities
  • counseling
  • legal advice
  • money management
  • support groups
  • psychotherapeutic programs
  • educational program

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

If you have a hothead family member, try to guide him or her toward developing better coping skills or contributing to caregiving in ways that require less time in the home such as scheduling, running errands or driving to doctors’ appointments.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

So much of the labor — and struggle — associated with caregiving goes unnoticed, unappreciated, and underdiscussed. There’s a whole host of reasons for that, mostly the fact that family caregiving is largely performed by women in the home and thus discounted as labor; when it is paid, it’s almost entirely performed by women of color, particularly immigrant women, and socially devalued. Then there’s the fact that most Americans are also terrified of death and the dying process and horrible at talking openly with others about the realities of aging.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

These two currents of labor devaluation — of women’s work and of racialized work — converge in caregiving. The systemic undervaluing of this labor affects those providing unpaid and paid care differently, but the impacts are interlocking.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

I decided that although I can't force her into assisted living or a nursing home, I don't have to be the full time caregiver anymore. I plan to tell her what I am willing to help her with and anything beyond that SHE will have to be the adult and figure it out. I will no longer be at her 24/7 beck and call. I will no longer put my husband and children on the back burner. I have given up over 2 years of my life to be her servant and I am no longer willing or able to do that. If she wants to stay in her home, there are agencies she can call for the assistance she needs.

I have read so many stories similar to mine and I hope this gives some the ability to separate love and servitude...I'm not going to do the 24/7 for the next 10 years. I am not going to feel guilty or get sucked in to her guilt trips anymore. I am done with the anger, the tantrums and the constant need for attention.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Consider an adult day program

You might also consider enrolling your older adult in an adult day program.

These are places where your older adult would go for a half or full day of activities and socialization.

Interacting with other people and participating in a variety of enjoyable activities can reduce stress and help them sleep better.

That can improve their overall behavior and reduce their need to act out.

Find a local adult day center through the Eldercare Locator (also at 1-800-677-1116) or through your local Area Agency on Aging.

Stick to a regular daily routine
If your older adult is losing their cognitive abilities, their world gets filled with more and more unknowns.

If their days aren’t structured, life can become even more stressful because they may not know what to expect next.

Having a regular daily routine can reduce difficult behaviors, improve sleep, and reduce sundowning symptoms.

Help them exercise regularly
Regular exercise has many physical and mental benefits for all people, but can be especially helpful for older adults with dementia.

Exercise can slow cognitive decline, boost mood, burn off nervous energy, and improve sleep.

There’s even a home exercise routine that improves dementia symptoms. Get more exercise suggestions here.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.