More threads by maryark

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryark

So, it's always been in categories. The earliest one I can remember having was when I had this impulse to kill myself. It started when I was really little, possibly 8, because I heard something on the news about someone that killed themselves. I didn't understand it but for some reason I was fixated on it. It really scared me because death was a scary concept, let alone the idea that you could intentionally bring it upon yourself.

I can remember many nights laying awake in bed, telling myself that I wasn't going to go downstairs and kill myself, but not believing it. I kept obsessing over it and was convinced I was going to. I remember once when I was little, before I went to summer camp, I had a babysitter named Christina. My parents were away and they had given me a Swiss Army Knife for one of my birthdays...I think it was my 9th birthday. Anyway, I had it in my room and was scared I was going to kill myself with it, so I asked Christina to hide it from me. She did, but she was definitely unnerved and had no idea what was going on. I had not been diagnosed and I was trying very hard to hide my anxiety from my family. I was miserable all the time because all I could think about was killing myself. I'd go on a ferris wheel, or ross a street, or step out on a balcony, or cut a sandwich... everything became a way to kill myself, and so everything led to anxiety.

This stage ended but unfortunately gave way to a series of much more frightening ones. I think that the more comfortable I get with this site I'll maybe post the different ones... if no one reads them then at least for my own peace of mind knowing that I've written it down for SOMEONE to read if they wanted to. And not think I was a loony.

Retired

Maryaerk,

Have a look at this page: Do you have Intrusive Thoughts? | Panic-And-Anxiety-Attacks.com

which I have often found to contain helpful information about understanding intrusive thoughts.

Please be advised we are not in any way endorsing or suggesting you consider the course being sold by this particular site, just suggesting you read the first page that describes the nature of intrusive thoughts.

I suppose the thing to remember is that these are just thoughts, and if you regard them as such, not allowing yourself to place any importance to them, these thoughts should cause you less stress.

Everyone has passing thoughts that can be bizarre, disgusting even frightening. Thoughts in your mind are not actions.

Have you ever actually acted on these suicidal thoughts or put together a suicide plan?

Thanks for sharing your post. I have the same intrusive thoughts that you do. It started when I was

13 and if I am busy I dont so much notice this. I clap my hands and yell STOP.I still have these thoughts, but the thought stopping makes them a lot less frequent.

Hi Maryark...

You may have mentioned in another thread, but I was wondering, do you now see a therapist to help you with these types of thoughts?

Do you have a strategy or game plan to combat these thoughts you are having? If not, might be good to talk to a therapist in order to help yourself find some ideas. No use going from one phase to another when you can arm yourself with knowledge and defend yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.