More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The Importance of Not Avoiding Your Fears a.k.a. Triggers
Anxious No More blog
by Aimee
April 3, 2008

Recently I posted on how to discover what your triggers are. Once you know what your triggers are, its important to not avoid them. I think this is a really crucial thing to remember when trying to manage your anxiety. Avoidance seems like the most natural thing to do. Your insides may be screaming to run the other way. We want to be happy and comfortable, so why on earth would we force ourselves to do something that is scary and fearful if we don't have to?

The reason is because the more we avoid them, the bigger, meaner, and scarier those triggers become. For example, if I don't go out to eat with friends because I know it could cause me to panic, then it will be twice as hard to go out the next time too. And even harder the time after that. Eventually I would never go out at all. And that is how agoraphobia starts.

Sometimes you hear about people that can't leave their homes. They haven't stepped outside in years. This is an extreme case of agoraphobia but it has to start somewhere, and for them it starts because they decide its too uncomfortable and scary to leave home, or their safe zone. Over time of giving into those fears, they loom so large and take over everything else and before you know it you have lost all control.

Avoiding your fears is never going to make them go away, it just makes them worse.

Truth be told I am still avoiding some of my fears. I avoid driving with other people in the car with me. Its too stressful and I would rather have the other person drive my car with me as the passenger then have to do the driving. Eventually someday I may work on this, but for now its not hampering my everyday life to where I can't function. Its more of a quirk I guess. But eating in public is a real trial for me that I do avoid, even now at times.

The important thing to remember is you don't have to take it all on all at once. Break it down into littler steps that appear more achievable. I don't go out with all of my coworkers for lunch because I would rather just eat alone at my desk. I only go out with them on special occasions and those prove to be difficult for me. I want to work on that as well. But you have to start somewhere and the end goal can be far away. You can take as small a step forward as you choose. So for now I go to special occasions so that I don't avoid the fear altogether. Maybe someday I'll be more proactive about going out to lunch with them. That can even be broken down into smaller steps. I can go to lunch, pick the food up, and bring it back to the office. Believe it or not even that step is hard for me right now. But if I do that often enough, it will lose its power as being fearful and I can move onto another step. Avoiding your fears and exposing yourself to them on purpose are two different steps and should each be done when you feel ready.

Err...
I'm horrified of the dark. I will avoid all situations that involve being out in the dark. Going to late movies, walking my dog in the dark, etc etc. Even when I leave work when it's dark outside I have to walk super fast to the car and even still I'm always checking over my shoulder. At home, I have to turn lights on as I enter each room, I can't just turn the lights off and walk all the way to my room. I even sleep with two nightlights on (incase 1 burns out). And I sleep with candles and a lighter beside my bed incase there is a power outage.

I know alot of this has to do with being raped and the fear that comes with not knowing whats "in the dark". But it has seriously taken a toll on my daily...sorry...nightly functions.
The last time the power went out, my lighter wasn't working, and I had a melt down, I was sweating from head to toe and shaking. I was too scared to walk across the room to even pick up the phone to call someone.

I don't know if I'll ever get over this one...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.