More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Keep the Comfort, Lose the Calories
RealAge.com blog: You Docs Daily
by Mehmet Oz, MD and Michael Roizen, MD
November 23, 2009

When winter has you reaching for lasagna, sloppy joes, chili, and other hearty beef-based dishes, you don't have to consume all that aging saturated fat or just make do with grilled tilapia. Instead, slash major calories and saturated fat and increase taste by using chopped mushrooms instead of meat.

People who chose this in one study ate about 420 fewer calories a day. WOW! And they said the mushroom makeovers tasted just as good and kept them feeling full just as long as the all-beef versions did (so they didn't make up for the calorie-cutting later). Just ask Rocco, the meat-loving cowboy we featured on The Dr. Oz Show. We had him cut out meat entirely for 28 days and walk every day. As a result, he lost his diabetes and hypertension as well as 6 inches of waist and 35 pounds. You can make changes like this, too.

A bonus if you replace meat with 'shrooms: Mushrooms are a big source of ergothioneine, a compound that may help prevent plaque from forming in arteries. Ergothioneine does its work by inhibiting adhesion molecules, which help the cells that form plaque stick to blood vessel walls. That was key for Rocco, who had 97% occlusion of his coronary arteries.

Portobello mushrooms contain a mother lode of ergothioneine, but button mushrooms aren't too shabby, either. That's a huge health boost from a little fungus. And if you live where the weather's hot, add mushrooms in other ways: on your salad, your veggie burger, and even nestled into your sandwich.

Banned

Banned
Is there a difference if you eat them raw or cooked? I like cooked mushrooms, but can't even put them in my mouth if they're raw.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't think so. I find them very filling, and I only eat them cooked.

Though cooking would reduce the water content and therefore the volume, one could just eat more mushrooms.

Also, since they are more tasty cooked (IMHO), then that could make them more satisfying and therefore more filling.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.