More threads by Mia713

Mia713

I have this fear of aluminum (spelling?) foil. I know this is an odd thing to be afraid of and I just don't understand why I am scared of it. I have had this foil phobia for the past 4 or 5 years now and I was wondering if anyone has a similar fear. Is this normal? Why am I
scared of this? It doesn't overcome my life or anything, its just embarrassing and I don't know how to even go about curing myself of this fear. :red: Any insight to this is greatly appreciated.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How does the fear manifest itself? Is it touching it? Eating food that's been touched by it? Even just seeing it?

What about seeing a box of it in the store?

Mia713

I am unable to touch it, however if food has been wrapped in it I have no problem eating it. If I see it outside the box I am not fearful of it, it just makes me feel uneasy. If it is inside a box though then I am unaffected by it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm... it almost sounds less like a fear/phobia and more like an aversion to the texture. For me, there are some foods I dislike for that reason - tofu is one - almost makes me gag. Do you think that might be the case for you?

Mia713

That is a good point. I really don't know what causes me to feel this way towards it. All's I know is that I can't stand the sound of it being crumpled up and I will not touch it.

Peanut

I can understand why you hate aluminum foil...I HATE small plastic things. I mean they totally disgust me.

I can also see why you don't like the sound of foil scrunching...it's kind of like fingernails on a blackboard...it just sounds wrong.

ThatLady

I'll take a snake wrapped in aluminum foil any day over a spider wrapped in aluminum foil. I fear nothing...except spiders! Gross! :eek:

just mary

As long as we're on the topic of strange fears.? I used to be (and still sort of am) scared silly of lemon throat lozenges.? I'm better now but I would only have to look at them and I would feel sick and shaky.? I have no idea what it was about and I really don't care to delve into it.? Not that there would be anything wrong with that. It was just one of those things and I'm glad I'm kind of over it.?? :roll:?

But snakes in tin foil would totally freak me out and I hope it would freak most people out.? But I bet there are people out there who would think it's totally cool, and I bet they would all be under the age of eight.?

Halo

This topic is great. I have to admit that my fear is of a vaccuum cleaner coming close to my feet. (How weird is that?? :red: Now that is not to say that I can't look at a vaccuum but if it comes near my feet I jump and it freakes me out.

Okay, one more fear and this is a major one for me.....fish (even minos) :eek: . I cannot even walk by the fish counter in a grocery store without feeling panick and gross. No oceans, lakes, beaches, fish restaurants, no fish cooking at home etc. The only fish that I am not scared of is Nemo. He is just too cute. ;)

Nancy

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I have to admit that my fear is of a vaccuum cleaner coming close to my feet. (How weird is that??

I'm reading this with your puppy avatar right next to it and thinking, "Aren't ALL dogs and cats afraid of vaccuum cleaners?"... :eek:

Lana

There are two things that scare me and send me into panic: bugs, especially...no...all bugs...i am tense even around lady bugs....and people throwing up. That one just scares the bejeezus out of me and I want nothing more then to run and get away. It's so irrational that even when I watch movies where someone gets sick, my heart rate and adrenalin jump right up. It's not a "oh no, i'm going to be sick too" thing....it's more of a "yikes! i have to run away" reaction.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.