More threads by waving_hands

hello to all of you. my name is sylvia ,.why have i joined this site?well, it's a sort of substitute for a goal.it's a motivation.it's something new and i felt i needed something new.i really hope i can help some of you with my sharings on life and even get help when i need it.my life is just starting now, and i mean my real life, with real responsabilities and stuff...so i'm a bit nervous about it and i really hope i can cope with this life.in conclusion, it's nice to meet you all !

this site...a hopeful new beginning

hello to all of you. my name is sylvia ,.why have i joined this site?well, it's a sort of substitute for a goal.it's a motivation.it's something new and i felt i needed something new.i really hope i can help some of you with my sharings on life and even get help when i need it.my life is just starting now, and i mean my real life, with real responsabilities and stuff...so i'm a bit nervous about it and i really hope i can cope with this life.in conclusion, it's nice to meet you all !

hello david!as you are a psychologist, i was wondering...how should a psychologist be, as a person , i mean, what qualities should he/she have?i would like to go and study psychology and become a very good one.please if u have any suggestions or , i don't know, some books to suggest or some sort of test that i should take to see if i have it in me.thanx again

hello david!as you are a psychologist, i was wondering...how should a psychologist be, as a person , i mean, what qualities should he/she have?i would like to go and study psychology and become a very good one.please if u have any suggestions or , i don't know, some books to suggest or some sort of test that i should take to see if i have it in me.thanx again

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I think the best starting place is to tale a course or two at the university level and see if it interests you. There are different areas of psychology, so the required character traits and interpersonal style might be different for different areas.

What I look for in clinical psychology students is genuine empathy and interest in other people, the ability to, as Adler said, "see with the eyes of another, hear with the ears of another, feel with the heart of another". If you lack that, you'll probably not make a very good clinician. If you have those attributes, and you can learn the ability to compartmentalize sufficiently to protect yourself emotionally so you're not overwhelmed by the client's pain, the rest is really just gaining knowledge, information, and experience and acquring specific techniques and skills.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I think the best starting place is to tale a course or two at the university level and see if it interests you. There are different areas of psychology, so the required character traits and interpersonal style might be different for different areas.

What I look for in clinical psychology students is genuine empathy and interest in other people, the ability to, as Adler said, "see with the eyes of another, hear with the ears of another, feel with the heart of another". If you lack that, you'll probably not make a very good clinician. If you have those attributes, and you can learn the ability to compartmentalize sufficiently to protect yourself emotionally so you're not overwhelmed by the client's pain, the rest is really just gaining knowledge, information, and experience and acquring specific techniques and skills.

Re: this site...a hopeful new beginning

Welcome Waving_Hands!!! I'm new to this site too! Nice to meet you....

waving_hands said:

Re: this site...a hopeful new beginning

Welcome Waving_Hands!!! I'm new to this site too! Nice to meet you....

waving_hands said:

Hi Waving_hands! I too am new to this site. This site is so refreshing and energizing with the compassionate members. There is a wealth of information here and the comforting words of good people.

I agree with David regarding getting into the field of psychology. While I was attending graduate school I worked at the front desk where I met my fellow students regularly. I was surprised by the number of students (all who were graduate students in psychology) could not say "hello" or even a nod as they entered the building. My thought was "why can't some of these future psychologists greet someone at the front desk?" My belief is that therapy begins at hello and that is where my concern was for these students. I felt it was important to set the example so I greeted the students as they entered. It is amazing how validating a simple hello can be as well as an excellent way of showing positive regard for others.

I look for a psychologist to be empathetic, present and like David said, "interest in other people." Best wishes for your future endeavors. I hope we all can be there for you along the way.

Hi Waving_hands! I too am new to this site. This site is so refreshing and energizing with the compassionate members. There is a wealth of information here and the comforting words of good people.

I agree with David regarding getting into the field of psychology. While I was attending graduate school I worked at the front desk where I met my fellow students regularly. I was surprised by the number of students (all who were graduate students in psychology) could not say "hello" or even a nod as they entered the building. My thought was "why can't some of these future psychologists greet someone at the front desk?" My belief is that therapy begins at hello and that is where my concern was for these students. I felt it was important to set the example so I greeted the students as they entered. It is amazing how validating a simple hello can be as well as an excellent way of showing positive regard for others.

I look for a psychologist to be empathetic, present and like David said, "interest in other people." Best wishes for your future endeavors. I hope we all can be there for you along the way.

Sorry to post on someone elses conversation but I just wanted to say to Dr Bill Dobson, I agree about the "hello" it means so much, some Doctors cant even be bothered when you go to see them to look up , as you walk in the consulting room and say "hello" they are too busy looking at hteir computer screen to aknowledge your presence, that little word with some eye contact means so much, makes you feel wanted, makes you feel they are interested in you and want to listen to you.

Sorry to post on someone elses conversation but I just wanted to say to Dr Bill Dobson, I agree about the "hello" it means so much, some Doctors cant even be bothered when you go to see them to look up , as you walk in the consulting room and say "hello" they are too busy looking at hteir computer screen to aknowledge your presence, that little word with some eye contact means so much, makes you feel wanted, makes you feel they are interested in you and want to listen to you.

Retired

I was surprised by the number of students (all who were graduate students in psychology) could not say "hello" or even a nod as they entered the building

A very interesting observation on the nature of people, especially health professionals!

I spent twenty five years calling on physicians from various specialties in my work, including psychiatry with some contact with psychologists.

My first interpretation for this behaviour was these people are basically intellectual scientists, absorbed in their thoughts, with undeveloped interpersonal skills. One has to keep in mind, a person training in a health profession has spent most of their adult life to that point in studies in an academic environment without much contact with secular life.

It appears many people in the health professions are basically shy, and making direct eye contact feel intimidating.

Finally some people in the health professions suffer from the "thank you doctor" syndrome where they are so accustomed to people being so grateful for their professional expertise, that they forget they are one of the "ordinary people" and develop inflated ego's.

This does not mean they are malicious or bad people, and when they work with a patient, their professional training, hopefully allows them to be compassionate and objective.

I found by understanding what I interpreted as the "psychology of health professionals" assisted me in my professional dealings with the profession.

Would be interested in the interpretations of these behaviors from others![/quote]

Retired

I was surprised by the number of students (all who were graduate students in psychology) could not say "hello" or even a nod as they entered the building

A very interesting observation on the nature of people, especially health professionals!

I spent twenty five years calling on physicians from various specialties in my work, including psychiatry with some contact with psychologists.

My first interpretation for this behaviour was these people are basically intellectual scientists, absorbed in their thoughts, with undeveloped interpersonal skills. One has to keep in mind, a person training in a health profession has spent most of their adult life to that point in studies in an academic environment without much contact with secular life.

It appears many people in the health professions are basically shy, and making direct eye contact feel intimidating.

Finally some people in the health professions suffer from the "thank you doctor" syndrome where they are so accustomed to people being so grateful for their professional expertise, that they forget they are one of the "ordinary people" and develop inflated ego's.

This does not mean they are malicious or bad people, and when they work with a patient, their professional training, hopefully allows them to be compassionate and objective.

I found by understanding what I interpreted as the "psychology of health professionals" assisted me in my professional dealings with the profession.

Would be interested in the interpretations of these behaviors from others![/quote]

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.