More threads by waving_hands

this site...a hopeful new beginning

Thanks Through-These-Eyes!

Steve...the thing that is interesting is I used to be one very shy boy. I hid behind my mother until I outgrew her (she is less than 5 foot tall). I agree with you aboug the "thank you doctor" syndrome. However, the way I handle this experience is with "you are welcome." The interesting thing about my education is that life provided me with some very important lessons prior to when my college education began. I have a curiosity regarding people in general...I want to learn what it was and is like for them in their lives. Then my hope is that through the experience of the therapeutic relationship the person will be in a far better place to bring change to their life in a positive and healthy way.

Thanks Through-These-Eyes!

Steve...the thing that is interesting is I used to be one very shy boy. I hid behind my mother until I outgrew her (she is less than 5 foot tall). I agree with you aboug the "thank you doctor" syndrome. However, the way I handle this experience is with "you are welcome." The interesting thing about my education is that life provided me with some very important lessons prior to when my college education began. I have a curiosity regarding people in general...I want to learn what it was and is like for them in their lives. Then my hope is that through the experience of the therapeutic relationship the person will be in a far better place to bring change to their life in a positive and healthy way.

Retired

In some organizations, that's actually the job description...

{ROTFL}

Of course I was not generalizing, and while working, I developed some very dear relationships with many of the people I dealt with professionally.

The interesting thing about my education is that life provided me with some very important lessons prior to when my college education began

In my view, therein lies the key, where professionals who had exposure to other perspectives seemed to have a better overall ability to relate in non professional situations.

During my working career I was always fascinated by the way people related to one another and working in a sales capacity one has to make an instant evaluation about the client, in order to present the information in a manner they are most likely to receive it.

Another dimension to the mindset of many professionals, which fascinates me is that their identity is so closely associated to their work, making retirement virtually impossible.

Those of us who planned to exit the workforce at a relatively early age to enjoy life with our spouse and go on to other interests find this way of thinking difficult to understand.

Retired

In some organizations, that's actually the job description...

{ROTFL}

Of course I was not generalizing, and while working, I developed some very dear relationships with many of the people I dealt with professionally.

The interesting thing about my education is that life provided me with some very important lessons prior to when my college education began

In my view, therein lies the key, where professionals who had exposure to other perspectives seemed to have a better overall ability to relate in non professional situations.

During my working career I was always fascinated by the way people related to one another and working in a sales capacity one has to make an instant evaluation about the client, in order to present the information in a manner they are most likely to receive it.

Another dimension to the mindset of many professionals, which fascinates me is that their identity is so closely associated to their work, making retirement virtually impossible.

Those of us who planned to exit the workforce at a relatively early age to enjoy life with our spouse and go on to other interests find this way of thinking difficult to understand.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.