More threads by foghlaim

foghlaim

well we all know xmas is coming... and today i decided to make a start on the pressies ect. I have been putting it off for one reason or another. Biggest one.. all those ppl about at this time of year.

not long after get into town.. i became aware that my breathing was gone haywire.. (as if i was running a marathon) and my chest was pounding. I started thinking why is this happening, my head (mind) is fine. Not actively thinking about anything in particular.. except where i want to go and get "whatever". So I did some breathing excercises as i was walking around.. but instead of feeling better i was getting worse, so much so that i had to sit down. Tried again a short while later.. after debating about going home or not. decided i'm not going home.. and thougth this would pass if i took no notice of it. again tho I had to stop.. my energy levels were zilch, and palpitations to outdo any drummer!! plus by now and my legs were getting a bit on the shaky side. I did manage to go into some shops.. some i left immediately. Others i did manage to stay in because they were big and spacious.

Now i am faced with knowing that my body can react even tho my mind is fine. So how does one get round this.? I know my mind isn't fine as such now.. hasn't been since i came home, now just thinking about going to town again, after what happened today is causing my chest to pound even harder than today. The confusing part of this is I want to go and be able to get "whatever".

is it panic, anxiety or stress??
Mentally I wasn't panicking today.. and i was taking things easy.. like if i saw what i wanted great, but if not, no big deal..

Anyway.. just wondering what is going on with me. it's like today my mind and body were operating independantly of each other.

I wonder if it could be something physical.

Are you taking care of yourself? Eating enough? I know when I don't eat enough my heart pounds and I feel awful.

I don't know.

:hug:

Halo

Actually Janet I think you may be absolutely right on this one. Good thought :) Sometimes not eating enough can produce symptoms that will increase or for myself mimic anxiety and panic. I know that if I haven't eaten at all or even eaten enough and my sugar level starts to drop even slightly that it increases my anxiety and my legs get shakey and I feel weak.

Fog, if you are eating well and providing yourself enough food to last you throughout the day then it may have been an increase in anxiety that lead to the panic feeling. What makes me think something physical is when you describe the feeling of your brain and your body working separately from each other and that you didn't feel overly anxious. I would say that if it continues to happen that you go see your doctor and talk to him/her about this.

Take care.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
is it panic, anxiety or stress??

Certainly seems likely though, of course, anything is possible medically. I've had a number of experiences where mentally I thought I was fine but I had all the physical symptoms of anxiety.

Halo

That is what is so scary sometimes is that physically it can feel like anxiety and one could just shrug it off as such and not realize that it could be something more medically wrong. I guess the lines can blur a lot between the two.

this reminds me of when the stress levels in my life became too much. mentally i felt ok but physically my body stopped cooperating. my energy was gone, my body was saying no more. maybe it's stress manifesting itself physically?

just a thought, foghlaim, even though mentally you feel fine, don't ignore your body's signals. if going shopping is making your body react that way, then maybe you shouldn't go shopping? i know that's not very practical, but maybe you can find a way around it - have a friend or family member pick some things up for you, or shop via the internet. i guess what i am saying is we often ignore our bodies and what they are telling us, and that it doesn't help. when hungry, we should eat, to keep our bodies and minds fit, not ignore the hunger. maybe this is something similar.

anyway, i don't know if this is of any use but these are thoughts that came to mind.

Halo

That could be it too. I never thought of the reverse side of it. I was thinking more physically affecting mentally but good point LB, it could very well be mentally affecting physically.

You also have some really good suggestions in that last post especially about listening to our bodies and another one that I thought of was what about tiredness Fog. Sometimes being overly tired can create symptoms of increased anxiety. Just a thought?

Wow, so many different angles to look at when talking about stress, anxiety and physical symptoms.....I find it very interesting.

FOG,

I dont know what it is, I get it, go out minds ok, want to go out, nothings happened when Im out and then it starts, similar to you, change in heartbeat, feeling faint , dizzy, it could blood sugar, but sometimes I wonder if something has sparked it off, like a smell, or someone bumping into you, or the lights in the shop, something unconscious? Theres one shop I go in where the lighting gets to me, I dont know why they just do, it could be something in the air, smell of someones perfume, or a cleaning product used in the shop,, Id consider all these things, when I feel like that I just have to go home,,:hug:

foghlaim

Thanks to all of you for the diff ideas on what may have caused this to happen.
Janet: Eating is fine, i do eat properly, at least i'm eating as is normal for me. :).
Nancy: i do have apt during the coming week so will mention this if i remember by that time.
Labybug: my body won't let me ignore it.. mentally i try but it doesn't work.
TTE: yep, i reckon it's an unconsious thing.. tis the only explanation i think.
Daniel: Anxiety acting the mick with me.. definately. same as TTE is saying, thru my unconsious to my body.. tis telling me Don't go to town.. but i have to ignore it..

Not going to town is not an option.. and I don't want it to be.
even tho ididn't go in yesterday.. i was still have the same symptoms here at home all day.. even went to bed during the evening.. got up to watch a dvd.. even during that i was aware my breathing was heavy.. nearly gave in and got up.. but i stayed to the end. went to bed early again.. by my standards. :)
today tis the same thing, breathing not right.. and the palpitations are really weird,, they are sending sensations down thru my whole body,, and hitting the pit of my stomach. I'm constantly doing the breathing excersises.. but it's not easing up at all. And I know i'm not going to town today.. So maybe after all, it's not related to being in town.
I just don't know.. but mentally i'm still fine (f or the most part) even tho this is starting to really really p**s me off.

thanks all.. appreciate all the replies.
:)

Halo

Fog,

My initial thought after reading your last post was that it probably is not related to going to town but it is strange that you are having the same symptoms and physical feelings even when at home. You say that mentally you feel fine for the most part but yet the physical symptoms (breathing, palpitations etc.) are still weird and that to me would be why I would lean towards something more physically going on then it being anxiety driven. I really think that you may want to bring this up to your doctor when you see him/her this week. Better to have this checked out then to let it slide.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Take care

foghlaim

Update on the above:-
Went to dr last week, nothing physically wrong but just wanted to be sure so got myself check out. It would appear that me hormones (meno) and being bipolar and other anxiety related probs,, that this is just par for the course. (in a nutshell)
Just have to ride the storms as it were. :)
thanks ppl.

Halo

Fog,

I am glad that you went to your doctor and found out that it is nothing physically wrong. At least you can rule that out and now know that it is more the combination of the above that you mention causing the anxiety/panic that you are feeling.

I know you said that you need to ride the storm and I am sure that is not easy but maybe just knowing what is causing the feelings will help.

Take care
:hug: :hug:

foghlaim

Thank you Nancy. You are right in saying that just knowing what is causing the feelings will help. It does in a way.

thanks again.

foghlaim

I just want to add to the above that I have found that when push comes to shove.. when i absolutely have to go to town..
what does work WHEN i do go, is knowing beforehand which shops to go to, go there, get whatever, get out again. If i'm not sure, i tend not to go in, Not thinking about the crowds, que's etc helps as well, but only a little.

What works for others here.?? I'm sure this time of year is unsettling to some, or is it?

just mary

It's stressful for me too.

But I'm like you Foghlaim; get a plan, get in, get out.

I think the worst is trying to find a parking spot. If I can't find one within 15 minutes, I turn around and go home - or I find another shopping mall.

I find I lose my patience when standing in line, especially when the customer ahead of me (or the clerk) makes a mistake. And I hate myself for feeling that way since I've made more than my share of mistakes. In this situation, I try to take a deep breath and realize that there is nothing I can do (other than leave the line) so I should just enjoy the down time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends if you have two loud and annoying teenagers behind you, and not all teenagers are loud and annoying - just the two that were standing behind me.

I wish I knew more stress reduction techniques - I'm sure it would help.

Very unsettling and stressful for me Fog,, I like to plan things but those plans have to go right, and when they dont is when I feel bad, its like a military operation, which rds to avoid, which building works etc, my plan doesnt allow for queues I like straight in get what you want and out, Like you mary I get very frustrated when people get in my way or standing in queues, alot didnt work out today, ignorant taxi drivers, the one shop hadnt got what I wanted etc etc so got I stressed and felt ill, I would like to go shopping in a army tank and then everyone would get out of my way!!:)

Halo

TTE

I have a mental image of you driving down the street in an army tank that is painted pink, purple and black and screaming at the top of your lungs in excitement :D :lol:

foghlaim

lol.. what an idea.. heh heh. Pink ,purple and black and a wee bit of bright red!! def have to see you coming in one of them!!.

went in today.. was going okay till my sis rang to meet up with her. afterward I hadn't a clue what i was supposed to be getting.. threw me right off!!. I remembered one item at least and got it! but now i still have to go back in before sat!.. aaaggghhgh!!!!!!!!!!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.