More threads by Dizzy

Dizzy

Is there such a thing as too much self thinking? Or talking to myself in my head?

I do it alot ... could be a good thing ... could be a bad thing. I sometimes think I am losing my mind. I am just wondering if this is a problem? Or if everyone does it.

Thank you.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's hard to say from that short post, Dizzy.

However, despite the stereotypes, it isn't at all unusual or uncommon for people to talk to themselves, either by thinking or even out loud. In itself, it's not a sign of mental illness.

HA

Welcome Dizzy!

It's not uncommon at all to think or talk to yourself, Dizzy. Where talking to yourself is a cause for concern is when you are having auditory hallucinations. People who experience these will hear "voices" talking to them or commenting on what they are doing. They will quite often talk back to or respond to the voices. This is very different from your own thoughts and responding to them.

You may be experiencing a high level of anxiety which makes you feel like you are "going crazy".

Cheers

Dizzy

Thanks for the replys. I don't hear voices, just my own voice. Not sure why I thought it could be a problem, but never hurts to ask.

Thanks again!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.