More threads by Retired

Retired

Almost each of us has a technique on which we rely in certain situations to calm down, decelerate our internal motor and enter a relaxed state.

You may have several techniques in your repertoire depending on the particular situation. Maybe you get anxious just before public speaking, meeting your in-laws, talking to the teacher, professor or boss...or maybe even seeing your doctor or therapist.

Lets share those techniques and tricks we use to settle down when our hears begin beating fast, breathing rate increases and our palms become sweaty.

What non medication strategies do you use to enter a state of relaxation?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I like a nice warm bubble bath with a nice soothing scent. This is when I get anxious when I am at home.....I miss read the question. Sorry :hide:

When I am going somewhere I might get anxious outside my home, I will use a gentle lavender scent. I like the smell and it also distracts my attention to the pleasant aroma.

Sounds corny I know :huh:

amastie

Lavender, yes. But mostly an old fragrence, an inexpensive one called "English Lavender". I think no other lavender fragrence suits me as well because I've used it over so many years. I like to spray my bed sheets with it.

I also like to meditate when I can.

amastie

amastie

Yes! Definitely music.
I keep on my mp3 player music separated into different folders, to play depending upon my mood - what I need - sleep, calm, happy, uplift..
There are certain favourites that pick me up each time :)

I have a feeling that exercise would as well. I'm almost sure of that, but I also have a *very* big resistance to it
amastie (popping in again)

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I agree, I love music.

Animals are soothing too! My cat cuddled up on my lap, purring always makes me feel nice.

I also find a nice walk by the lake to be soothing too. I go there quite often for a small "break from the city"

Mari

MVP
In an immediate situation I start with wiggling my toes and follow up through with every part of my body to relax every muscle then finish with a deep breath. Wiggling my toes sounds odd but it focuses my attention and reminds me to relax my posture and breathe evenly. :heart: Mari

Jazzey

Account Closed
I like this thread Steve -

I go running, and I listen to music. If I really need to relax, I'll put a headset on and listen that way - for whatever reason it intensifies the sound. Usually some kind of classical - Mozart or Puccini. I can stay that way for hours...

I also like taking a hot bath - lavender oil or sesame oil.

amastie

And trees! When I was most unwell years ago, I went every day to sit in a park that was close to the city but a world unto itself, very rural with trees all around, on either side of a small river.
It was tremendously healing at the time.
amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.