More threads by Retired

Retired

Tourette's, OCD, ADHD: Closer Together Than We Thought
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Dr. Marco Grados MD
July 2009

A recent large study on the genetics of Tourette?s syndrome has added clout to what many experts suspect: that underlying biology?common genes, most likely?can tie together Tourette?s, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and ADHD.

That doesn?t mean all patients with Tourette?s also have OCD and ADHD, says pediatric psychiatrist Marco Grados, who leads Hopkins? part of an international consortium. ?But likely a third of children with Tourette?s belong to a subset with all three disorders.? And being aware of that, Grados says, makes therapy more precise. It also supports what?s known of the pathology.

?We see child after child at our clinic primarily with the motor or vocal tics of Tourette?s. But after a workup, you often find anxiety-based obsessive thinking and inattention with hyperactivity. Or perhaps they come with OCD and you see the other two.? Children may be prescribed conflicting therapies. And parents are frustrated, says Grados. They?ve often shuttled kids from a hometown pediatrician who diagnoses one disorder, to a psychologist who says it?s another, to a neurologist who finds yet a third.

It can be a confused family that comes to Hopkins.

The new NIH-sponsored work looked at more than 950 patients, siblings and parents from 220 families with Tourette?s, as collected by the Tourette Syndrome Association International Consortium on Genetics. From his background in mathematics and genetic epidemiology, Grados saw the sense of using ?latent class analysis? on the large population. That?s a statistical technique that cherry-picks groups of people from a mass of motley data. A result? Patients with all three disorders newly stood out.

A second analysis?calculate the odds of having family members with the triple problems?confirmed that if you have all three disorders, it?s more than likely that relatives do too. Such ?breeding true? cries out, a culprit gene!

?Perhaps??and it?s a big perhaps, Grados says??we should think of this triple disorder as a single new one.?

The study makes ideas about a common pathology more plausible. OCD, ADHD and Tourette?s, it?s believed, likely live in the large circuit that connects various parts of the brain?s basal ganglia with the cerebral cortex. If, because of an errant gene, the loop is overactive or otherwise out of control, it makes sense that all three disorders would surface.

All three developmental disorders are marked by a lack of inhibition, whether it?s not being able to control OCD?s intrusive thoughts or Tourette?s motor tics. It?s also intriguing, Grados adds, that the three illnesses tend to fade after adolescence. ?Sometimes one or another will just melt away,? he says. Is it coincidental that Mother Nature?s so-called maturity pathways?those descending from the reasoning cortex to lower regions like the basal ganglia?get stronger then?

More immediate, though, is the clinical value of seeing the disorders as a set. ?Because treatments for all three diverge,? says Grados, ?prescribing becomes a careful balancing act.? Tourette?s for example, calls for medications that turn down dopamine. ADHD requires just the opposite with stimulants like Ritalin. ?You can?t just say, the ADHD?s the worst. I?m going to treat that and let the others ride. That could aggravate the Tourette?s.

?You put the pieces together,? he says, ?and things start to make sense.?

PDF :acrobat: reprint of this article is attached for download

Comment by Steve: There appears to be growing interest in the region of the brain called the Basal Ganglia that controls movement, and behavior where it is thought the three related disorders coexist. These are thought to be genetic neurological disorders and often require intervention for symptoms that sometimes overlap.

Attachments

• Grados ADD Tourette OCD.pdf
    140.6 KB · Views: 0

Retired

"TEND TO"

Maybe when I grow up all 3 will fade? Oh wait that's physical age.... :panic:

Gary,

I don't think the use of the word should be interpreted as absolute language, to suggest remission in all cases. It's common in medicine and in science to use conditional language to describe a situation that may not have definitive incidence of occurrence.

I cannot speak for ADD and OCD because I don't have the same understanding as I do for Tourette.

It is thought that the prognosis for a Tourette diagnosis in a child follows the "rule of thirds"
  1. As children grows into adulthood, tics resolve in about one third of cases
  2. Tics become substantially less severe in another third
  3. In the remainder of cases, Tourette Syndrome stabilizes (usually) without worsening; Adults may have a more chronic / severe form of the disorder

The original article by Marco Grados was written in 2009 for a professional readership, so it was probably unnecessary to elaborate on statistics for prognosis, especially since the point of the article emphasized what is now generally accepted, that the three disorders appear to have a common source of origin in the brain.

GaryQ

MVP
Steve,

I was just making a parallel reference joke that I am part of the group that "tend do" didn't apply to ANY of the 3. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.